Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

    I have tried to use the Image Stabilization feature on the E520. The settings ask you what lens you are using, thus if I am using the 40-150 zoom the varaibility of the focal length varies when used. So when using a zoom lens, such as the 40-150MM, what setting do you use when setting up the Image Stabilzation function in the E520?

    Thanks for the help!!

    Dennis G

  • #2
    Re: E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

    Originally posted by dennisg View Post
    I have tried to use the Image Stabilization feature on the E520. The settings ask you what lens you are using, thus if I am using the 40-150 zoom the varaibility of the focal length varies when used. So when using a zoom lens, such as the 40-150MM, what setting do you use when setting up the Image Stabilzation function in the E520?

    Thanks for the help!!

    Dennis G
    Hi Dennis, with Four Thirds lenses, like the 40-150, it's automatic. The lens communicates its focal length to the camera electronically. The manual setting option is for legacy lenses that have no data links to the camera body.

    Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

      The settings ask you what lens you are using
      As Ian says, that is just if you want to use an old Olympus film lens on the camera. 'E' lenses are automatically recognised.

      Otherwise your choice is Off, IS 1, IS 2, or IS 3. Have it switched Off if the camera is stable or on a tripod, IS 1 for normal use, IS 2 for horizontal panning, or IS 3 for vertical panning.


      Steve

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

        I think the question arises because you can still see the focal length adjustment, and can change it, even when an 'e' lens is attached. At least it does on mine. It should perhaps disappear or say auto when a zoom is attached.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

          it should be greyed out with an E lens on board until you press the +- button to bring it alive.

          It's very useful this way as you can preset it for an upcoming quick change to a manual lens.
          E, Pen and OM-D bodies
          43 m43 and legacy glass
          loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

            On my 520 it is greyed out ,but always reads 40mm no matter if i put the 14-45mm or the 40-150mm lens on....is this correct or is the camera not adjusting automatically ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Phil, go in and change it to a different number and then see if it stays at that new number. I believe the setting shown won't change as you zoom, merely remains wherever was last set. The E-lens automatic recognition is invisible, I'm petty sure. I used to change mine religiously, with E-lenses, until I realized the whole thing was automatic.
              http://technopeasant.org

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

                Originally posted by Stewart G View Post
                Phil, go in and change it to a different number and then see if it stays at that new number. I believe the setting shown won't change as you zoom, merely remains wherever was last set. The E-lens automatic recognition is invisible, I'm petty sure. I used to change mine religiously, with E-lenses, until I realized the whole thing was automatic.

                Thanks Stuart.....you are right.The number stays at whatever i set manually.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: E520 Image Stabilization and its use.

                  Originally posted by 250swb View Post
                  Otherwise your choice is Off, IS 1, IS 2, or IS 3. Have it switched Off if the camera is stable or on a tripod, IS 1 for normal use, IS 2 for horizontal panning, or IS 3 for vertical panning.


                  Steve
                  Turning the IS off when the camera is on a tripod is not a given. If you have the tripod setting on a surface that is subject to vibration, or if you are using a tripod outdoors when there is some kind of breeze, then you definately want to leave the IS on.
                  Cameras currently used: Pentax K-5 Mk.I, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Sony A77 Mk.I, Minolta Maxxum 600si, Nikon P7100

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X