Low Light Noise Levels.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Light Noise Levels.....

Ok now i am confused !! if i try to shoot low light shots in either aperture or shutter priority,there is loads of noise.
    However if i shoot using one of the scene modes for night/low light, the images are fine.
    Am i misssing something in the settings as i don't see how there can be so much difference.

I had the camera set to 100 iso. Noise filter set to standard.

Any one care to shed some light on this.

Cheers

Re: Low Light Noise Levels.....

Hi Phil,
    I had similar problems with my e600. Your problem may be the "Gradation" Filter. For some reason Olympus set this to Auto as default. If you set it to normal you should reduce the noise. If that is the problem of course.
    Regards
    Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/smj41/

Comment

This is just a guess.......I bet the scene modes apply a lot of in camera noise reduction?
      hearts at peace under an English heaven

Comment

Thanks Steve , i will try altering the gradation filter and see whatr effect that has

Comment

If anything like the E620, there's noise filter and noise reduction, which only one can be selected at a time. Reduction being the better performer, though doubles time between exposures.
          E500 - E600 - E620 - HLD5 x2 - 17.5-45mm - 14-42mm - 14-45mm - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - 25mm f2.8 - 40-150mmMI (3.5) - Sirius 60-300mm f4-5.6 - Chinon 55mm f1.4 - Chinon 200mm f3.5 - FL50 - FL36 - Raynox DCR2020PRO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photonutter/

Comment

You don't say whether you are recording in RAW or jpeg. I would always record in RAW even if I used and in camera filter or scene mode as well. Then you can compare and, if advantageous to do so, process the RAW file.

David
            PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by photonutter View Post
              If anything like the E620, there's noise filter and noise reduction, which only one can be selected at a time. Reduction being the better performer, though doubles time between exposures.
              Noise reduction within the (Olympus) camera is for long exposures & that is a 'dark frame subtraction' where a second exposure is taken for the same length of time but with the shutter closed & the noisy hot pixels that are in that are subtracted from the first exposure to cancel the effect from hot pixels (which can look like a starry night). This is best left set to Auto to happen any time an exposure time might create hot pixels.

Noise Filter is referring to the firmware that smooths out the noise (mottled appearance) that happens with high ISO use. It can be a matter of taste to set to OFF, LOW or Standard (or even high if wanted).

If the 'Gradation' setting is set to 'Auto' it will raise the effective sensitivity in the shadow & dark areas (like someones black suit) & is best only used with ISO up to 200 (for E500 models & maybe ISO 400 for E600 models etc) as anything higher will be like using a high ISO in the shadow & dark areas with the resulting noise there. If in doubt, use Gradation set to Normal.
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
                You don't say whether you are recording in RAW or jpeg. I would always record in RAW even if I used and in camera filter or scene mode as well. Then you can compare and, if advantageous to do so, process the RAW file.

David
                hi david, i shoot raw + jpeg so i was able to keep some of the shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Angel View Post
                  hi david, i shoot raw + jpeg so i was able to keep some of the shots.
                  You have the best of both worlds in doing so (& I do the same) so long as you have enough storage space.
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                  X