Focus issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus issues

I thought I would try this here to see who reads this part of the forum.

My well used 510 is having difficulty focusing particularly when using my 70-300 but also on my shorter lenses. Reading Phil's eight year old post on the same topic I first noticed it a couple of years ago when I used a hired 50-200 and noticed the line of focus a few inches behind the subject. However it now spends a long time hunting with any of my lenses which, as I like my wildlife, is quite frustrating.

Is it an "age related difficultly" or perhaps a sensor clean would help?

A new camera is on the cards at some point in the next year but it would be a shame to part with it on bad terms.

Re: Focus issues

As the 510 uses a 3-point TTL Phase Difference Detection focus system, sensor cleaning will not help as the detection system is not on the sensor.

Try a black and white focus target with each of the 3 sensors and see if the focus system is working correctly.
    Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Hi Willom if that was an old post of mine. Give me a few memory jogs and i might just be able to remember a few more details to help.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Does the E-510 have the "AF Focus Adjustment" function found on some of the Oly DSLRs (eg E-30) ?
        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
        Learn something new every day

Comment

Just looked at that old thread. I'd definitely forgotten that but certain remember it now! Sending it to Olympus certainly fixed the issue but I never did work out what Olympus actually fixed i'm afraid. Was it worth spending the money on the E510? In hindsight no not really as pretty soon after I jumped to m4/3s and have been pretty happy since. I've still got the E510 though sitting in a cupboard just in case .

Comment

Thank you so much for looking up your previous post, apologies for the delay in replying, I've been a bit busy.

I won't be sending my 510 to Oly as it won't be worth it now. I'm looking at, finally, moving to m4/3 so all the pennies are being set aside for that. I'll just hve to persevere for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by OM USer View Post
              Does the E-510 have the "AF Focus Adjustment" function found on some of the Oly DSLRs (eg E-30) ?
              I'm not sure I'll read the manual.

Comment

FYI, focus adjustment came after the 510. I believe it was i introduced with the E-3.

Comment

Definitely worth the jump to micro 4/3s.

Comment

Originally posted by Phill D View Post
                    Definitely worth the jump to micro 4/3s.
                    Mk 1 E-M1's, E-M5s and Pen E-P5s can be very cheap and they remain tremendously capable cameras (and vastly better than the Olympus DSLRs of a decade or more ago).

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. Salvation came sooner than I expected when an Em1 Mkii appeared on the For Sale board at a price I couldn't resist. Now a very steep learning curve has started. I expect that I'll be persevering with the 510 a little longer as I don't have any m4/3rds lenses or the adaptor at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X