Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

No display !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No display !!!!!

A few weeks ago all of a sudden I noticed there was NO display in the viewfinder.
    The camera would go through the focussing and take shots that were in focus but I did not know if focus was achieved through the focus mark coming up.
    I tried turning off/on/off/on many times and taking the battery out/in a few times.I even tried putting the battery out of my E500 in but it was still the same.
    In the next few days I charged up both batteries to full ready to go out to take some shots and had forgot about the problem ...but then looked/saw the display and it was then that i remembered it wasn't working before.
    During the next couple of weeks all has seemed fine ...apart from the odd occasion when the F stop display has gone and just a ---- showing in the display.When I turned off/on it corrected the problem.

So alls been well until yesterday when the original problem came back ...and I went through all the same things as last time and charged up the batteries but this time it is still not displaying......by the way I can see ALL the lcd figures all at the same time but very dark and when the camera takes a shot they dissapear and then come back after.But no way can I get them to show red.
    I don't know if a BEEP happens at focus point and never have as I cannot hear things in that frequency.

I have looked in here for similar things and have cleaned all the contacts with alcohol and they all work as well.

Also ...but I don't think it's a related problem....but it might be...is the fact that I cannot get the flash to work.....it's set to pop up and does pop up but does not fire.

Sorry this ended up a long thread but I have tried to say all I have done.
    Thanks
    Keith
    Keith

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.
    Now also 4 items from the dark side...........

Re: No display !!

Is this all with the same lense, or all lenses.

Are you using the same memory card, or a different one, the camera has a pretty small processing space so errors in one area can impact others randomly.

Haven't the foggiest idea really.

Nick
    Last edited by Nick Temple-Fry; 16th August 2010, 01:22 AM.
    Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
    www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Hi Keith,

Regarding the intermittent problem of disappearing display, it sound like it could be a loose contact inside the camera. Might be best to contact Olympus for advice.

As for the flash, was the shutter speed more than the sync speed? That would prevent flash from firing.

Sorry I can't help more than this, hope you get it sorted soon.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Thanks both

NICK.....It's on all the lenses and only one card.
        John...Yes it does sound like an internal thing.Will have to investigate contacting OLY.
        "As for the flash, was the shutter speed more than the sync speed?"...no idea about Sync speed?...or why it might have changed.

Cheers
        Keith
        Keith

E500,E510 now dead,E520 (now retired),E600 and Grip,14-42,14-45,2x40-150,Sigmas 105 and 135-400 Now Dead..ex 25. Manfrotto 190. Plus lots of OM stuff.

Comment

Someone on another site thought a Factory reset might fix it.....does anyone agre and would it do any harm.If not then how would I do it.
          keith
          Keith

Comment

Menu > Camera1 > Custom Reset > choose Reset and press OK button then select Yes to confirm it. and no it should do no harm apart from resetting everything to factory defaults.

Have you tried leaving the battery out for a couple of hours, for some reason this sometimes works.
            Regards Paul.
            One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Certainly worth doing a camera reset, (they'll do it anyway if you send it away and charge you for it), you will lose any alterations you've made to defaults.

I would also try a new card, it is totally unrelated but a recovered error on writing to a card may leave areas of the camera memory in the wrong state which then upsets other processing. Not everything gets reset when switch on/off.

Nick
              Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
              www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

Another thing with the F number appearing like --- is also caused when the lens release button is pressed. If it is bumped by accident, it may not necessarily return if there is any malfunction of the release mechanism (burs etc). I hope the problems are resolved without too much angst etc.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks everyone for your positive efforts to get me up and running again.

Reset...done it...no different.
                  Tried swopping the cards with the one in my E500...both work in the E500 and the problem still exists in the E 510.
                  Left battery out and charged both up and it still exists.
                  I agree the F number ----could be a dodgy connection with the release button.
                  Still no further to finding the answer to the NO FLASH problem.

Thanks
                  Keith
                  Keith

Comment

Keith

Comment

Any more news Keith?
                      My Flickr Home Page

Comment

Blimey just looked at the Live View and thats gone wrong now...when I press O.K. to zoom in it just brings up info pages.

Wonder whats next !!
                        Keith
                        Keith

Comment

Working...
                        X