Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

E-500 Macro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-500 Macro

Hi All,
    Could anyone advise on a good Macro lens for the E-500?
    I would love to take some close up photos of insects,butterflies and spider's webs - all that sort of thing.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Doug

Re: E-500 Macro

The 35mm f3.5 is unbelievable for the money and does full 1:1 or the 50mm f2 for a bit more money but not as close.
    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
    Flickr

Comment

Thanks for that , Iain , I will check them out.

Comment

If you can find one, the Sigma 150mm is an excellent macro lens.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info , Dave , although I probably should have mentioned that I was on a tight(ish) budget and I think the Sigma may be out of my range.

Comment

To get 1:1 with the 35mm you have to get the front element pretty close to the subject!
            Colin
            "Don't blame me..."

Comment

A cheap close-up solution with good IQ is to get an ex-25 extension combined with a 40-150 kit lens. You'll get 1:2 magnification (i.e., a 34mm wide subject will fill the frame) at 50mm focal length, a bit less magnification at longer focal lengths. The subject-to-camera distance will be good, though focusing may require a blend of lens adjustment and camera movement. Technique and practice is important, but the 500 does have focus bracketing (up to seven shots), though the bracket range is most prominent at wide focal lengths. In my experience a sharp and well composed/lit image trumps magnification, so I find that a bit of distance to my subject is very helpful. And with that in mind, another suggestion would be to find a used 70-300, which will do 1:2 from about a meter away.
              http://technopeasant.org

Comment

Originally posted by George Dorn View Post
                To get 1:1 with the 35mm you have to get the front element pretty close to the subject!
                And being external focussing it moves in & out, with it being out the most for for the closest focussing.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart G View Post
                  ......... And with that in mind, another suggestion would be to find a used 70-300, which will do 1:2 from about a meter away.
                  Also, for the closest focussing with that lens using MF allows it as close as 900mm (which gives the maximum magnification).
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                    Also, for the closest focussing with that lens using MF allows it as close as 900mm (which gives the maximum magnification).
                    A lot less frightening for the creepy-crawlies!
                    Colin
                    "Don't blame me..."

Comment

Try reading THIS thread

A Raynox DCR 250 on a 40-150 lens can work wonders as will adding tubes and both at the same time.

Lighting is very important but practice focusing is the real key

I know this is an E-M1 but this will work with the E-500

It is a 40-15 mm lens with a Raynoc DCR 250 and Nissin Di466 flash and home made diffuser. The piece of card shows the minimum focus distance and without the Raynox this lens has a minimum focus distance of 1.4m the newer version focuses much closer

at 150 mm with raynox by alf.branch, on Flickr

Here is a shot taken with that set up

Hover-fly by alf.branch, on Flickr

Macro is not easy and takes practice lots of practice. I do not use a tripod my shots are handheld so flash is important.

My favourite lens is the Sigma 105 f2.8 though.
                      OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Comment

One very useful feature of the E-500 is Auto Focus Bkt., which provides for focus stacking in post processing.
                        Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Hi there Doug!

Another vote here for the Sigma 105mm - for a couple of hundred pounds second hand you get a very sharp lens with a good working distance. The Olympus 50mm with either an ec-20 or ex-25 will also give 1:1 but at a higher cost. I have both (and the Sigma 150mm as well) and find them all very sharp primes in their own right, but for macro use the 105 gives a great balance of reach and size / weight. You can also fit a cheap ring flash to the 105 ( I have a Starblitz which was around £15 second hand from ebay) which can make a very big difference to the quality of your images.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and info gents , I have a lot to think about.

Comment

Working...
                            X