Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

E-5 repair experience, seems good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-5 repair experience, seems good...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/macg33zr/

Re: E-5 repair experience, seems good...

Thanks for the hint, I was not aware of this service.

When previously using Olympus repair service (bodies as well as lens) I simply printed out a repair request sheet downloaded from Olympus customer service portal, filled in what the symptoms were together with S/N, name/address/email address/phone then shipped the defect product to local Olympus customer support.

After a mere week I received an email with a repair quote attached and with the option to either accept/return (at a fee)/scrap the product. Olympus accepted an email reply which is convenient.

Then I heard nothing for a good week, until I got a dispatch note that a parcel was available for collection at the post office. DHL were contracted for shipment across borders and handed over the parcel to the post for final delivery.

The repair report was quite laconic, no detailed information about what was actually done.

From door to door it took around 2 weeks.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

It seems like my E-5 shutter has gone the same way!
      I was out this morning with Steve (Stoates), everything seemed fine then the next shot was completely black, I checked through the viewfinder which was fine but the camera was showing a 'blinking' 60" at f11 for a daylight shot! I switched to Live View and it was black too.
      Looks like my E-5 is going on holiday unless anyone here can suggest a different explanation?
      Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
      Flickr

Comment

Even with a 2 year warranty, this is not good news!

I thought the E-5 was good for 150,000 shutter activations ?

Bill and Iain how many has your camera clocked up each ?
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

Hi Chevvy
          I just checked mine - 11627, not many at all - very disappointing
          Iain

Website
          Flickr

Comment

Interesting. I am thinking about getting a service done on my E-5 as I feel its a bit 'rattly'. About 25000 shutter activations.
            It may be good for 150000 but like your car it needs a service occasionally.
            My first OM-1 packed up (not winding on) and I sent it to a repair place. It seemed ok but it came back with a letter saying the mechanics in the base plate had corroded. The problem of living in a maritime climate.
            Duncan

Lots of toys.

Comment

An update on the situation, nothing negative about Olympus, but our beloved Royal Mail... that's another thing!
              I posted the E-5 off to the Nottingham collection address by insured Special delivery on Monday lunchtime and was asked to put my address on the back and guess what, yup they tried to deliver it to my house today!
              It is half day closing in our post office (where the parcel now sits) so I won't be able to sort this out until tomorrow evening.
              I don't think its worth checking last night's lottery ticket :-(
              Iain

Website
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
                An update on the situation, nothing negative about Olympus, but our beloved Royal Mail... that's another thing!
                I posted the E-5 off to the Nottingham collection address by insured Special delivery on Monday lunchtime and was asked to put my address on the back and guess what, yup they tried to deliver it to my house today!
                It is half day closing in our post office (where the parcel now sits) so I won't be able to sort this out until tomorrow evening.

Iain,

how very frustrating ...

have you read the Obituary for Common Sense ?
                [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
                  Time for another update and a huge apology to the Royal Mail, their special delivery had in fact been very efficient but the package was refused at the other end (Olympus collection point) and sent back to me.
                  I spoke to a very helpful gentleman this evening at RM who explained that their Track and Trace web page only displays the latest information and he could understand how I concluded that the package came straight back to me. When he looked at the detail he saw there had been 2 attempts to deliver the package in Nottingham on Tuesday morning and both failed so it was sent back.
                  Now my problem is I don't know what to do, the camera is back here at home? I suppose I am going to have to try again and keep my fingers crossed

Sorry Royal Mail
                  Iain

Website
                  Flickr

Comment

Ring Olympus, explain to them what happened and hint that they should arrange for the DHL? to collect it from your house or office and ship it direct to Portugal.
                    This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                      Ring Olympus, explain to them what happened and hint that they should arrange for the DHL? to collect it from your house or office and ship it direct to Portugal.
                      Sound advice Derek, I have just spoken to another very helpful man, this time at Olympus, who told me that the DHL Hub that runs the collection point has moved to a new address! He was under the impression that the parcel should have been forwarded on, but has arranged for DHL to come and collect it direct from me
                      I didn't catch the chap's name, but he is going to e-mail me the new collection point address and I will post it here in case anyone is sending stuff away before they update the website.

Getting there...
                      Iain

Website
                      Flickr

Comment

As promised here is the new address for the Olympus repair collection point:

Olympus Imaging & Audio
                        Rico Logistics - Olympus HUB
                        Unit 48, Evelyn Street,
                        Beeston, Nottingham,
                        NG9 2EU

Thanks again to Jaroslav for excellent customer service and sorting this out, apparently DHL closed the hub earlier than anticipated!
                        Iain

Website
                        Flickr

Comment

Iain

Website
                          Flickr

Comment

Iain, Thats DREADFUL I am sure that I read 150,000 robust build.

Pay it and take issue with Olympus !

Its very kind of you to inform others my own E-5s had 63,000 and 35,000 each and I sincerely hop the new owners get many more Shutter Actuations of them before SUCH A BILL ! When this Camera model was sold as a Pro DSLR.

Car manufacturers offer Warranty to miles/years.

They certainly do not build cameras bodies and Shutters to the past standards ... my OM s still work brilliantly (But I only use the lenses now) perhaps I shall invest in a roll of film again ... in Spring when the lights better ... and maybe there will be more than tonnes of water about ...
                            [I].

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

My E-5 had about 20600 shutter actuations when it needed this repair. But from the repair detail, it did not look like they repaired the shutter - it said "mirror box". So I can't really feel short changed on the 150,000. Who knows - it may be the camera was internally damaged due to it falling over on a tripod not long before it failed (although it seemed OK at the time).
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/macg33zr/

Comment

Working...
                              X