Pushing the E-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushing the E-5

I am watching all the E-M1 activity on here with keen interest and would love to have the option of getting one, but it won't be happening anytime soon. So this weekend I had a couple of short trips and ended up using the E-5 beyond the limits I had used it previously.
    Firstly, ISO 1600, a doddle if you have an E-M1 or E-M5, but I don't like 400 on the E-5. I have used Lightroom to clean up the noise with some loss of detail and a bit of 'plasticising' (I may have made that up! ); please tell me how this might have been processed better:

The second limit I pushed was today while out with the camera club in the rain. I know it is supposed to be weatherproof but I have only previously used the E-5 in drizzle, today it got a real soaking with rainwater pouring over it to the extent I couldn't read the screen, it didn't let me down I still managed some shots:

Happy to take feedback on these and will post a few more in Foto Fair in another thread.
    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
    Flickr

Re: Pushing the E-5

stag looks pretty good to me as presented!
    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
    43 m43 and legacy glass
    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Looking very good for the higher Iso , Iain, did you have noise reduction switched on?
      The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

The stag looks brilliant, especially in the noise and sharpness department. The colour looks a little off, I think the orange luminance could do with reducing - Red Deer are not usually as light as that from my experience.
        Number two looks good as well, I've had the same experience in rain with the E5 - viewfinder misting up due to so much water around.

David
        PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

Comment

Originally posted by David Morison View Post
          The stag looks brilliant, especially in the noise and sharpness department. The colour looks a little off, I think the orange luminance could do with reducing - Red Deer are not usually as light as that from my experience.
          Number two looks good as well, I've had the same experience in rain with the E5 - viewfinder misting up due to so much water around.

David
          Thanks David, you were right about the Deer colouring so I went back to Lightroom, tweeked the exposure and white balance et voila! version 2:

Iain

Website
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Imageryone View Post
            Looking very good for the higher Iso , Iain, did you have noise reduction switched on?
            No noise reduction, I didn't have time to change anything as I saw this fellow late and he was already legging it!
            Iain

Website
            Flickr

Comment

The stag shot looks fine to me Iain and to be honest, I wouldn't have even given it second though if you hadn't mentioned about noise reduction! Out of interest, is it a crop and what noise settings did you use in Lightroom?

I always find that exposing to the right works better at higher ISOs rather than underexposing and boosting in post...
              GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Originally posted by IainMacD View Post
                tweeked the exposure and white balance et voila! version 2:
                Definitely looks more natural!
                GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Working...
                X