C-AF not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! C-AF not working

Just bought a new E-5 via an Ebay auction. Despite working my way through the manual and myriad menu settings, I find I have no continuous auto-focus. Nothing. Lens does not move; no confirming beep; image stays out of focus at half-press and continues out of focus to exposure. S-AF is fine.

Before I make a fool of myself by sending it back to Olympus: is there a menu setting I may have overlooked which could have disabled C-AF?

I should add that I'm an E-3 owner - so it's not as if I'm unfamiliar with the breed. I've tried several lenses; batteries out and back; cleaned contacts etc. I updated firmware to version 1.3.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Re: C-AF not working

Depress the contact springs on the camera using a Biro refill, may just be one is a little sticky? Do it very gently
    The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

It might be worth checking as S AF works that C AF has been set for back button focusing through the AEL/AFL menu. In which case when using C AF the AEL/AFL button needs pressing to focus.
      Derek

www.dncphotography.co.uk

Comment

Are you using LIVE VIEW screen focus or viewfinder ? I seem to recall that C-AF does not work with the LIVEview ???

Have you done RESET ?
        [I].
        I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
        Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by DerekC View Post
          It might be worth checking as S AF works that C AF has been set for back button focusing through the AEL/AFL menu. In which case when using C AF the AEL/AFL button needs pressing to focus.
          Thanks Derek - think that's cracked it. Couldn't fathom why resetting cured the problem, until the camera was turned off and on again, when C-AF ceased to function once more

Tried pressing AEL, and that restored it. Appears that, somehow, when setting up modes using the "myset" menu, the camera somehow defaulted to - as you say - back button focusing.

Looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot more time with the manual! Personally, I'd be chuffed if Olly brought out an E-7 with a control set as complex as, say ... an OM-1

Comment

My 4/3 bodies are set up as if they're OM2's. Turn them on and start shooting. I'll never use 98% of the options/features on them.
            It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
              My 4/3 bodies are set up as if they're OM2's. Turn them on and start shooting. I'll never use 98% of the options/features on them.
              David, is this because do do many 'functions' in post processing s/ware ? I do
              [I].
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                With you entirely, David, the ONLY button I use is Exp Comp on a regular basis, very occasionally Iso. Why make life difficult?
                The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

I spent a couple of decades shooting slow transparency film for publication/stock using OM2's so learned how to get it right in camera.

For the past year my HG and SHG glass has been gathering dust as I've gone retro shooting manual focus primes for my personal work.
                  It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Working...
                  X