Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

dodgy ISO and lack of shallow DOF - upgrade to E-5 or just drop Oly altogether?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodgy ISO and lack of shallow DOF - upgrade to E-5 or just drop Oly altogether?

Orsi Vilusz
    Website
    flickr
    facebook
    E-600 body
    14-42mm f3.5-5.6, 40-150mm f4-5.6, 25mm f2.8, Lensbaby Composer
    Nikon SB-80 DX, Yongnuo YN-460, Yongnuo RF-602

Re: dodgy ISO and lack of shallow DOF - upgrade to E-5 or just drop Oly altogether?

Dare I suggest you wait to try the OM-D E-M5? All the tests I have seen suggest fast focus and good high ISO performance. Plus there are some cracking good fast primes in m4/3 fitting.

Don't forget that by going Nikon or Canon full-frame, you are moving to large bodies, which may or may not bother you, but the sheer weight can sometimes slow down your reactions!
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Re: dodgy ISO and lack of shallow DOF - upgrade to E-5 or just drop Oly altogether?

As at least 90% of the image quality is determined by the lens - the body just being an accessory, I'm sticking with Olympus because of the incomparable quality of their lenses. FWIW I found this quote on the net (The Online Photographer):

"A good family friend - sadly departed from this vale of tears - was the patent attorney (and glass physicist) for Carl Zeiss. Before that, he worked for Leica in Solms, designing new glass types.

In both cases he said that the only Japanese company that Leica or Zeiss regarding as being serious competitors (in terms of coming close to being in the same class, quality-wise) was Olympus. Nikon and Canon, meh. Pentax, double meh. Olympus: hmmmm."

Jim

Comment

I have recently got Lightroom...havent got the hang of it fully but the noise reduction is very good... happily shooting at ISO 1600 raw... and if you can get a 12-60 SWD focussing is much improved in low light...
        chris
        shetland

Comment

that heavily invested in the E-System.

From your Flickr pictures you are doing a good job with the kit you have - I would love to get shots of my family like yours.

Nick
          Bodies: E3, E-P1
          Lenses: 8mm, 14-42mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm

Comment

Originally posted by crimbo View Post
            I have recently got Lightroom...havent got the hang of it fully but the noise reduction is very good... happily shooting at ISO 1600 raw... and if you can get a 12-60 SWD focussing is much improved in low light...
            I would take the above comments to heart and maybe get a E5, yes its heavier but its going to drop in price and with the 12-60 lens its very good

Comment

Originally posted by yorky View Post
              I would take the above comments to heart and maybe get a E5, yes its heavier but its going to drop in price and with the 12-60 lens its very good
              I'm running the E620 so the body could come last in an upgrade...and if I was going to system change then it would be the OM-D
              chris
              shetland

Comment

Regards Paul.
                One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

The 12-60 SWD lens was suggested & as good as it is, that comes at a price whereas the 14-54 II lens is almost down to half the price of the above lens & still very good quality. It operates from f2.8-3.5 & is optimised to work with contrast focus which would also work very well on a micro 4/3's body (with adapter) & for the best ISO performance todate, the OM-D E-M5, especially with the grip, would (or should) be a great combination for indoor photos. From that I am suggesting moving up from the kit lens (which is still good quality optics) to something better but not too expensive & the body can be updated later if & when you're ready.

If you're thinking of another system (brand), it usually comes with a kit lens that are not necessarily as good as Olympus's kit lenses & the better lenses available are not cheaper than Olympus except from 3rd party manufacturers (Sigma, Tamron etc.), but again, the better the quality, the higher the price.
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Comment

Hi Orsi,

I've got an E-600 with kit lenses and like you got frustrated with the AF indoors in low light ! Adding a flash and using the focus beam (with a Metz 36 AF4 and upwards or Oly flash) helps but what you really need is faster glass.

For indoor use a Sigma 30mm f1.4 works well and with the focus adjust/calibration on the E-600 you can use it wide open. It's a nice balance with the E-600 as it's not too big. (Panaleica 25mm f1.4 is better still but more money)

For portraits the Oly 50mm f2 is great and like Paul i've had some good results with the 40-150 mm Mk1. Have got good results with the 50-200 SWD as well.

If you don't mind manual focus then you can use legacy olympus OM 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 with an adaptor. For thinner depth of field but with more working distance you can buy a Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 for 4/3rds but again is manual focus only. (A larger viewfinder in E1/3/30/5 would make this easier)

For brighter conditions indoors or using flash then the Oly 14-54mm Mk 1/2 or Sigma 18-50 f2.8 could be options for you too.

If you fancy micro 4/3 then the new OM-D with 45mm f1.8 looks very promising . (There are other fast primes too)

If you really want wafer thin depth of field then full frame with fast glass is the way to go but of course that is a lot more money !!

Cheers,
                      Mark

Comment

I get wafer thin DOF using the K5 ... no need to go FF and its weight / bulk.
                        The Pentax kit is very affordable for AF fast lenses eg 50mm f1.4, or 1.7, or even the 35mm f2.4 budget lens, which is excellent.

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Hi Orsi,

If you really want wafer thin depth of field then full frame with fast glass is the way to go but of course that is a lot more money !!

Cheers,
                        Mark

Comment

How shallow do you want your DoF ? This was done at f/5.6

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

No worries, we're mature enough here to have a reasoned discussion that involves other brands, even though we share Canikon jokes from time to time. Each of us has different needs and preferences and Olympus won't suit everyone. If we are able to help someone find the right system and that happens to be non-Olympus then so be it. I think it is healty for the OP to look at all the options, including other brands as well as different Olympus bodies, glass and MFT.
                            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                              Dare I suggest you wait to try the OM-D E-M5? All the tests I have seen suggest fast focus and good high ISO performance. Plus there are some cracking good fast primes in m4/3 fitting.

Don't forget that by going Nikon or Canon full-frame, you are moving to large bodies, which may or may not bother you, but the sheer weight can sometimes slow down your reactions!
                              I do realize they do get bulkier if I went for full frame sensors.

I've heard about the OM-D coming out soon. Have to wait and see the high ISO performance. That's my only complaint about my camera body, otherwise I have no probs with it. I'm just trying to weigh whether it's a new camera body that will work for me better in low light or the fast glass with shallow DOF.
                              Orsi Vilusz
                              Website
                              flickr
                              facebook
                              E-600 body
                              14-42mm f3.5-5.6, 40-150mm f4-5.6, 25mm f2.8, Lensbaby Composer
                              Nikon SB-80 DX, Yongnuo YN-460, Yongnuo RF-602

Comment

Working...
                              X