Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

E5 "weatherproofing"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • E5 "weatherproofing"

    Although I have had my E5 plus Pro/Top pro lenses out it foul weather on many occasions with no trouble, I have had, several times this last week, to remove the lens to blow out "thrips" or storm/thunder flies which regularly take trips across my field of view. I have also had a couple wandering around within the top LCD panel to eventually disappear into the works!

    How can this happen?

    Interestingly they have also manage to get into the LCD monitor screen of my wife's laptop only to die and look like a comma on a word document. Also seen in an LCD television screen in our kitchen. A word with Olympus is needed methinks!

    David
    PBase Galleries:-http://www.pbase.com/davidmorisonimages

  • #2
    Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

    I don't have any on my cameras, but there is one my wife's iMac which crawled about for a while under the top panel, then died looking like a hyphen.
    Stewart

    My Zenfolio Site
    My Portfolio Site

    Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | Lumix: G9 | LX100
    Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135
    Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Lumix: 12-32 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

      Originally posted by Shaw View Post
      I don't have any on my cameras, but there is one my wife's iMac which crawled about for a while under the top panel, then died looking like a hyphen.
      If it is just below the glass screen, I believe you can remove it to clean it, as it is just held in place by magnets. I am not sure I would have the confidence to do it though.

      Ron

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

        My E-5 & lenses have also been given the weather treatment, so far the worst has been heavy and persistent rain but I've never had a problem with thunder flies (or similar).
        Regards Huw


        Olympus equipment
        Capture One Pro
        My flickr

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

          Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
          If it is just below the glass screen, I believe you can remove it to clean it, as it is just held in place by magnets. I am not sure I would have the confidence to do it though.

          Ron
          Thanks Ron,

          If I can pluck up the courage I will have a go.
          Stewart

          My Zenfolio Site
          My Portfolio Site

          Olympus: E-M1 Mk11 | PEN-F + ECG-4 | XZ-1 | Lumix: G9 | LX100
          Zuiko: 40-150 Pro + MC-14 | 12-100 Pro | 7-14 Pro | 17 | 45 | 60 | OM 135
          Leica: 100-400 | 12-60 Lumix: 12-32 Samyang: 7.5 fisheye

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

            I currently have some like dust spots in my e5 viewfinder but can't work out where its coming from, I have cleaned the outside and can't see any marks on the mirror, its the same with all lenses and its not on the sensor, as its not showing on photos or not visable in liveview
            E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

            Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

              Originally posted by stevednp3 View Post
              I currently have some like dust spots in my e5 viewfinder but can't work out where its coming from, I have cleaned the outside and can't see any marks on the mirror, its the same with all lenses and its not on the sensor, as its not showing on photos or not visable in liveview
              Steve it sounds like these specs of dust are probably on the focus screen, could be either side but more likely on the side that faces the mirror. You could try a quick puff with a blower but be careful not to get too close to the screen (or the mirror) as they are easily damaged.
              Regards Huw


              Olympus equipment
              Capture One Pro
              My flickr

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

                FWIW, my wife's E-410 has had two big spots in the viewfinder for ages - maybe over a year. Not visible in LiveView, doesn't appear on photos.

                Would prefer they weren't there, but is there really a need to do anything about them?

                Mark
                Learning All The Time.

                HAVE: E-620 | HLD-5 | ED14-42 | ED40-150 | ED70-300
                CURIOUS ABOUT: Sigma 50-500 Or | EC-14 For 70-300
                DREAM OF: E-5 | HLD-4 | ED7-14| ED14-35 | ED35-100 | ED90-250 | EC-14 | EC-20

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

                  Cheers Huw and Mark, yes this sounds like it could be the problem then, maybe Mark is right, might be best I ignore and leave it alone, incase I make matters worse, its very scary messing inside the camera
                  E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

                  Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

                    Turn the camera face down and use an air blower to remove the dust. Easy as that.

                    Dust will always accumulate on the VF if you're changing lenses. Not a real problem.
                    After breaking through the technology barrier,
                    you run into the barrier of accepted wisdom.
                    -Yoshihisa Maitani

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

                      Originally posted by zuiko-holic View Post
                      Turn the camera face down and use an air blower to remove the dust. Easy as that.

                      Dust will always accumulate on the VF if you're changing lenses. Not a real problem.
                      Im not sure think im too scared to do that what if I blow dust onto the sensor, should I just ignore it if its not causing image problems, I know im a big baby
                      E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

                      Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

                        Originally posted by stevednp3 View Post
                        Im not sure think im too scared to do that what if I blow dust onto the sensor, should I just ignore it if its not causing image problems, I know im a big baby
                        That's why you have the camera faced downwards.

                        If you thing you're a big baby, you should see me the first time I used my Zuiko 7-14! I would not shoot against the wind!
                        After breaking through the technology barrier,
                        you run into the barrier of accepted wisdom.
                        -Yoshihisa Maitani

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

                          Originally posted by zuiko-holic View Post
                          That's why you have the camera faced downwards.

                          If you thing you're a big baby, you should see me the first time I used my Zuiko 7-14! I would not shoot against the wind!
                          Ha ha yes I can imagine I would be the same

                          I'll have a look through the viewfinder later and if its still bugging me, I'll see if I can pick up the courage to do it, thanks for the advise, at least i know its nothing to worry about
                          E-M10 Mk2 - 14-42mm EZ - 40-150mm ED - Falcon 8mm Fisheye - FL-36R

                          Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: E5 "weatherproofing"

                            I actually meant to get my wifes E-410 professionally serviced/cleaned before I gave it back to her, but never got round to it.

                            I'm a handy guy - built my own extension, replaced suspension & brakes on my own car & jeep, great with LEGO... But I don't think I'd be happy going gimping around inside something as delicate as a DSLR, although I do believe folk when they say it's straightforward.


                            Mark
                            Learning All The Time.

                            HAVE: E-620 | HLD-5 | ED14-42 | ED40-150 | ED70-300
                            CURIOUS ABOUT: Sigma 50-500 Or | EC-14 For 70-300
                            DREAM OF: E-5 | HLD-4 | ED7-14| ED14-35 | ED35-100 | ED90-250 | EC-14 | EC-20

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X