At last a dslr that feels right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last a dslr that feels right!

Hi, I have been back and forth a bit with dslr's in the last year, bought a few used and kept going back to my panasonic fz38 because they either didn't feel right or didn't give me the results I was expecting, I suddenly realised that the problem might be that most of the cameras just seem to feel too heavy and uncomfortable for me, and then, having managed to get a great deal on an e410 and 40-150mm lens, I thought I would give it a go, wow! what a difference! only got it last night and haven't been able to put it down since! I was concerned that the lack of hand grip and image stabilisation would be a problem but I have been amazed at the sharpness of the photos so far and how easy it was to achieve them, also the whole feel of it is great, I love it, even down to the shutter sound it's amazing just how right it feels when you hit on the right camera! I know it's quite an old model now but I really am not worried about that, I am just enjoying using it. with cameras like this, why aren't the olympus sales up their with the other two? anyway they've certainly got my vote
    jacqui

Re: At last a dslr that feels right!

Originally posted by jacqui View Post
    ... e410 and 40-150mm lens, I thought I would give it a go, wow! what a difference! only got it last night and haven't been able to put it down since! I was concerned that the lack of hand grip and image stabilisation would be a problem but I have been amazed at the sharpness of the photos so far and how easy it was to achieve them, also the whole feel of it is great, I love it, even down to the shutter sound ...
    Long may it live!
    I'll not sell mine and I hope it lasts as long as it feels it's going to last ...

Comment

That's the real secret of choosing a camera, it's got nothing to do with pixels, bells and whistles but everything to do with how it feels and handles in your hands. It's a bit like Harry Potter's visit to the wand shop, you don't chose the wand, it chooses you.
      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
        That's the real secret of choosing a camera, it's got nothing to do with pixels, bells and whistles but everything to do with how it feels and handles in your hands. It's a bit like Harry Potter's visit to the wand shop, you don't chose the wand, it chooses you.
        I need a Harry Potter wand every now and then.

---------------------------------------------------

Enjoy your camera.

Regards. Barr1e
        Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

I know just how you feel Jacqui...

I dithered between Canon, Nikon and several other brands before I made my mind up....I spent weeks researching and asking for advice - after all, this was a HUGE investment for me...I spent my lunch times haunting my local camera shop, trying a different model each day...I'm sure they thought I was simply a mad time waster!

I was being helped in my choice of camera by the guys in the photography section on my angling forum, and here's what I posted in the week preceding my purchase of my Oly two years ago...

I don't want to rush into this, but the more I read, the more I feel that the Olympus E520 will be just the camera for me. I liked it instantly when I played around with it - it felt good. Not a very constructive comment, I know, but if I'm going to be using it, I want one that I'm comfortable with. It felt better in my hand than any of the others that I looked at. I was SO tempted to buy it there and then!

I still think I made the right decision!

Janet
          My flickr photostream....

Comment

Jacqui,
            The E-410 was my first Olympus DSLR and I've kept it even though I've subsequently bought other E series. It's a great camera - so light and easy to handle. The 40-150 is a cracking lens for it's size and weight. You should look out for a 14-42 or 14-45 second hand and that would give you a range from 14 to 150mm
            Jamie

Comment

I agree with Jamie on that one...the 40-150 is the one I use the most. It really is a belter! The 14-42 is also pretty damn good, although I don't use it as much as I should...the 40-150 is usually all I need.

Have fun, and look forward to seeing the results!

Janet
              My flickr photostream....

Comment

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of looking out for a secondhand 14-42 or something, although, I tend to use more zoom most of the time, but it would still be handy to have it for landscapes etc. I have taken another few photos in the garden today, nothing special just playing around a bit, but still delighted with the results, and the weight and feel are perfect
                jacqui

Comment

When I got the E-410 with the kit lenses it reminded me so much of my OM bodies I sold my E-1. And after testing the kit lenses I sold my HG lenses with the E-1.

I never fell in love with the E-1 like a lot of people do and have never missed it but I don't think I'll sell my E-410.
                  It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Congratulations on find the right camera for you. The E-410 is great little camera, so compact and light weight and Olympus kit lenses are excellent.
                    Funnily enough I recently bought a new E-510 because I really missed using it, having sold my original one a couple of years ago.
                    Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                    Capture One Pro
                    My flickr

Comment

Working...
                    X