Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP Review of E30

Hello

I'm wondering if anyone here has read the AP review of the E30? After reading it I was expecting some protest on the various Olympus forums, but I've read nothing.

Although generally postive, is said that, compared to the G1 which has the same sensor, the E30 is more noisey at ISO 400 and above. Luminace noise in particular was visible at 400.

If corect this is a bit of a disappointment. I have an E1 and am trying to work out whether to buy a E30 or E3 - my E1 is usable up to ISO 800, so I don't want to buy something that is not an improvement. Visible noise at ISO 400 is not really acceptable to me. After reading the AP review, I have the impression that the E30 may be nosier than the E3.

For those that that have an E30, I'd be very interested to read of your experience.
    Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

Comment

Re: AP Review of E30

I too bought AP, just for the review. After reading it I wasn't too sure whether I had learned anything knew, or anything that was subjective.

I too was nearly turned to the 'dark-side'

I first purchased a second-hand E500; enjoyed using it and very soon upgraded to another second-hand E510. To continue the Star Wars analogy, My father was extolling the virtues of his Canon that I decided to purchase my first new dSLR and this was .... A Canon 450D

To be honest, after using it on holiday together with my E510 I decided to stick with my Olympus. I will admit that the fact I had good lenses already swayed my decision a little, but then if I am pleased with the results, why go through changing everything, especially in this financial climate.

So I bought a new E520, selling the Canon to pay for it.

I am trying to stick with Olympus, because of personal experience and not soley because of magazine reviews. I would like to buy the E30, but after I have tried it out, had more feedback (especially from this group) AND when I can afford it.

And if my wife sees this .... this is a long way off dear - honest
        My RedBubble pages

Comment

I wouldn't take any notice of anything AP said about any camera, never mind a brand such as Olympus which they don't understand and don't generally like anyway. AP is no longer the wise journal that it was, but a partisan rag with a number of inept journalists working for it.

Steve

Comment

Cheers

Padgreen

Comment

No matter what camera you use, be it Nikon, Canon Olympus Sony, Full frame or half sized sensor you will always get high ISO noise and noise in shadow areas. This is because the digital circuitry itself generates noise and its virtually impossible to get away from that. Filtering this sort of noise doesn't help plus everyone wants faster processing time and faster write times, which unfortunately introduces more digital noise. So unfortunately this type of noise will always be present.
              Early digital cameras suffered artefact noise and this showed up as blotches usually in the blue sky area of your picture. It was caused by glitches being picked up by the analog to digital convertor and processed as part of the picture. Manufacturers of Digital SLR's have mainly overcome this problem. I certainly have not seen any prodced by my E510.
              The biggest problem for digital camera manufacturers is noise in shadow areas. Use the shadow and highlight feature in photoshop CS and above and see how much "noise" is produced then. In this respect Olympus cameras are no worse than any other make.
              In actual fact the high ISO noise produced in the current Olympus camera have the same look as "pushed" B&W film or Ektachrome 400 slide film. I find this feature useful for doing the slightly over exposed highlighted wedding pictures that I often use for wedding album backgounds.
              If you are worried about the "noise" in the E30 check out Jeff Keller's review and sample pictures at http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml
              He gives the camera a good review and his samples pictures can be downloaded and examined.
              Having downloaded and examined the night shots at ISO 800 and 1600 from dcresource fror both the E3 and E30 I think the E30's images are less noisy than the E3.

Comment

Originally posted by 250swb View Post
                I wouldn't take any notice of anything AP said about any camera, never mind a brand such as Olympus which they don't understand and don't generally like anyway. AP is no longer the wise journal that it was, but a partisan rag with a number of inept journalists working for it.

Steve
                I think that's out of order. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to descend to abuse. I find it disturbing that every time a journalist criticises Olympus products they are immediately vilified somewhere on the web (especially on other forums, which will remain nameless ).

Personally, I don't find AP "partisan" - although they do reflect the current market trend in giving space to the most popular brands. Why not? They still reflect major develpopments across brands, even when they are true minority products like Hassleblad and Leica. At the same time, they have not been afraid to criticise Canikon when they deserve it (early focus problems with the 1Ds III seem to stick in my mind...).

I find it difficult to understand any suggestion that Messers Demolder et al are "inept". Indeed, I would say their professional skills are of a higher order that those of most of the other photography periodicals. Some of those really do make me cringe on a regular basis.
                Hugh of Bardfield
                Essex, UK
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughofbardfield/
                http://hughweller-lewisphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

I find it difficult to understand any suggestion that Messers Demolder et al are "inept".
                  Hmm, these are the same people who tested 'resolution' between various manufacturers using an E510 mounted with an at best 'unsympathetic' Sigma lens. They had no idea until it was pointed out to them that the Sigma is not designed with the same light path characteristics as a dedicated Olympus lens, thus rendering any meaningful 'resolution' data, plus the printed article, redundant and inaccurate. It is a shame because simply using the 14-42mm kit lens could have improved the perception of many photographers as to the ability of Olympus cameras.

So no Hugh, I don't go out of my way to vilify the staff at AP, they do a good job themselves, but its only known amongst people who care about accuracy, others are left to believe that what they say and do is gospel. Maybe I'm stuck in a time warp in remembering the days when AP had a high standard from older and experienced journalists who took pride in knowing the subjects inside out. As for suggesting they critise Canikon, then that is to get headlines, it isn't the same drip drip drip effect they employ elsewhere.

Steve

Comment

Is this just like porridge with salt? If you have only have had jam or sugar on your porridge it is difficult to judge the salty version
                    So for AP are they just brought up on canikon and similar and when they meet 4/3rds its very interesting and a bit too salty but is not like their version with jam.

Basically they have a measurement bias which is based in their culture.
                    Turn the tables and have us review a canikon...ooo nice images but bit heavy so we cannot score as high as our beloved Olympus

but we do have to admit that on the issue of noise the 4/3rds chip is at a disadvantage - and presently that is seen as an important benchmark
                    chris
                    shetland

Comment

At the end of the day (and also earlier) a goal of journalists is to sell magazines - another goal is to sell themselves.

If they can do that with accurate reporting and writing all is well and good, but there are often easier ways to achieve those goals.

Personally I'm a little cheesed off with emphasis on "feature" over basic functionality (let's not even go into reliability). Also that they tend to be heavily biased towards "works like everything else people give to me to write about" (saw an example somewhere earlier this week where an Olympus lens was marked down because the zoom ring worked in the opposite direction to a Nikon zoom ring).

Comment

Everyone has their own pre-conceived ideas. You only have to read any articles that reviews products. Cars are a good example. Certain manufacturers will never get a good review, even if they make the best car in the world.
                        Other manufacturers will never get a bad review even if they make a bad car.
                        I never go by reviews, after all they are only a personal opinion. If I want to buy a car, I will look at the specification, go to the showroom, have a test drive and make up my own mind.
                        If I am interested in a camera I will read the reviews, download the sample pics from the various review sites, study them, compare them with other cameras and make up my own opinion. Then like a car I will buy what I am happiest with.

Comment

Originally posted by stryker View Post
                          If I am interested in a camera I will read the reviews, download the sample pics from the various review sites, study them, compare them with other cameras and make up my own opinion. Then like a car I will buy what I am happiest with.
                          Me to, and one of the reasons I have just ordered a E-30.
                          Regards Paul.
                          One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

The E-30, in my opinion, has better noise performance at the high ISO end, than an E-1 - easily. There is much less chroma noise and the larger number of pixels tends to hide noise anyway.

I also feel the E-30 has better noise performance than the G1. They are both much improved over earlier E-System models, but the E-30 has a more consistent grain structure than the G1.

Ian

Originally posted by padgreen View Post
                            Hello

I'm wondering if anyone here has read the AP review of the E30? After reading it I was expecting some protest on the various Olympus forums, but I've read nothing.

Although generally postive, is said that, compared to the G1 which has the same sensor, the E30 is more noisey at ISO 400 and above. Luminace noise in particular was visible at 400.

If corect this is a bit of a disappointment. I have an E1 and am trying to work out whether to buy a E30 or E3 - my E1 is usable up to ISO 800, so I don't want to buy something that is not an improvement. Visible noise at ISO 400 is not really acceptable to me. After reading the AP review, I have the impression that the E30 may be nosier than the E3.

For those that that have an E30, I'd be very interested to read of your experience.
                            Founder and editor of:
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 250swb View Post

Steve
                              Personal insulting accusations like that, to people you have no personal knowledge of, are not acceptable here.

I know all the AP staff personally, and they are all dedicated and honest photography enthusiasts, and they are very sensitive to peoples' opinions of their work.

Further personal insults like this will not be tolerated on this forum.

Ian
                              Founder and editor of:
                              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                              NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X