Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to mull over about IS.

Sorry if this has the mentioned before.

I shoot generaly with IS off(thats just me)and only turn it on when I feel its needed.
    Now if its been on and I turn the camera off the sensor re-positions ie the the shudder.
    If I've used IS during shooting but turned it off(IS that is)the sensor does not re-position at power down.
    Do you think its worth turning IS on before turning the camera off.
    My normal starting setting is with IS off.

This is probably a load of drivel.

Its a bit like cricket ie when your in your out and when your out your in.

Just interested

Ps even if I dont let the sensor re-position it seems to make no difference to my pictures so whats it doing?
    All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Re: Something to mull over about IS.

I keep my IS on all the time!..................it saves all these dilemas that you are having!

Comment

I would imagine that when you turn IS off while the camera is on, then the sensor repositions (whatever that means) at that time.

I'm an "always on" bloke, but recently I've been wondering if I should only use it when I need it and have it switched off when I'm using high shutter speeds. On another forum there are quite a few threads suggesting (without, as far as I can see, actual hard evidence) that if it's left on during high shutter speeds it can actually soften an image.
      Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
        if it's left on during high shutter speeds it can actually soften an image.
        This is very interesting! Im off to experiment now!

Comment

Unfortunately since I discovered this nugget of information we've had nothing but rain - certainly not enough light to permit high shutter speeds to experiment with!
          Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

IS will soften the image if used on a tripod - in practice, not very much though, and hardly noticeable. If you are using IS hand-held with high shutter speeds, it may well be to take moving objects - in which case, the IS can be bothersome as it can negate any panning motion to track the moving object. If I was hand-holding and using the camera in a fixed position, I would always use IS, irrespective of shutter speed.

Andy
            Olympus E-30, E-M1 mk1&2 ZD 7-14 f4, PL 25 f1.4D
            mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 45 f1.8, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro, 300 f4 Pro
            MC-14, HLD-7, HLD-9
            Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)

Comment

So do I, but since reading that thread it's started me wondering....

I note that the Oly manual makes no mention of this, only to switch it off for tripod use. I usually forget to do that, with no noticable ill effects.

Originally posted by oly_om View Post
              If I was hand-holding and using the camera in a fixed position, I would always use IS, irrespective of shutter speed.

Andy
              Stephen

My Flickr site

Comment

I did a moon shot and it was whirring away for 15s which was a complete waste of time as the camera was resting on a rock solid platform. I keep it switched off and turn it on as required.

Unless I forget and leave it on

Looking forward to the consensus of oppinion on this one. Perhaps a poll is needed
                Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
                  Looking forward to the consensus of oppinion on this one. Perhaps a poll is needed
                  A consensus? Small chance
                  David

Flickr

Comment

I leave it turned off if the light is OK as I got good result over the years with the E1.Also its another moving part that could be a failure point plus its also drsaining your battery.
                    All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

I wish I had IS

After seeing some of the longer hand held shots I think its time for me to start saving my money for a camera that does have it.. then I can also be in a dilemma as to whether to have it on or off
                      Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy View Post
                        I wish I had IS

After seeing some of the longer hand held shots I think its time for me to start saving my money for a camera that does have it.. then I can also be in a dilemma as to whether to have it on or off
                        You'll wonder how you ever managed without it Tracey I have some handheld shots in my gallery that were taken with 1s exposure.
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
                          You'll wonder how you ever managed without it Tracey I have some handheld shots in my gallery that were taken with 1s exposure.
                          You're not making this any easier... I feel I need to either win big on the lottery, or save lots of money
                          Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy View Post
                            You're not making this any easier... I feel I need to either win big on the lottery, or save lots of money
                            Make a positive of the wait - the steadier you can hold the camera the more advantage you will get with IS - so really you are not delaying but preparing yourself to get the best out of IS.

That makes you feel better - doesn't it

Nick
                            Nick Temple-Fry

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
                            www.temple-fry.co.uk

Comment

I think poles only result in quantifying opinion, rather than fact.. if you know what I mean!

Certainly for me, I can't hand-hold well enough not to have IS (medication related tremor). I would really doubt at high shutter speeds if there is anything in it at all, except when panning. I can't think of a great experiment to actually quantify it either way, which is another problem.

Andy
                              Olympus E-30, E-M1 mk1&2 ZD 7-14 f4, PL 25 f1.4D
                              mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 45 f1.8, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro, 300 f4 Pro
                              MC-14, HLD-7, HLD-9
                              Metz 58 AF-2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

("AndyElliott" @ FTU)

Comment

Working...
                              X