Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Focussing Issues with the E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Focussing Issues with the E3

Correction to the above, I will be happy if my two major problems will be fixed. Those two are show stoppers for me, theses two can be global issues, but may not be present in all bodies. Of the rest, two are directly related to my individual camera and those are just irritating quality control problems, I would not bother to send my camera back for those two. I also expect those two to be fixed, since they are definitely connected to my camera as individual. The rest of the five points on my list I can live with until Oly comes up with a sloution, which I am positive they will in due time. I don't expect them to have those fixed in my E-3 #2, since they are connected to development, so R&D in Japan must have a look at. Don't misunderstand me, these are not ignorable minor problems, but easier to handle for me. It may be so that other people think differently and they would regard these five as major problems. That's why I am convinced Olympus will deal with the problems.

I will not post my list here, or anywhere else on the Internet. I don't want to increase the preassure on Olympus and I don't see it as my mission to create more confusion around these issues. I am happy for everybody who is happy with his/her E-3 and just wish them luck. It is a fine camera I am sure I will also love once my two major problems are solved.

Anyway, I will stop discussing this now. If anybody believes me, that's fine. If not, that is also fine with me. I will report back when my new E-3 arrives, so you will know the progress but I am not open for any discussion which can result in flaming of anybody, hot and personal arguments or brand bashing discussions. If anyone is convinced his/her camera is fine I see no point in trying to proof they are wrong. The main thing is that the photographer and his/her customers are happy.

I wish everybody good luck.

Comment

OlyFlyer

I suggest you keep chasing Oly to ensure that your camera does not go to Portugal but gets repaired in Hamburg, if it goes to Portugal you would be better asking for your money back and go buy another camera and try to see if that is a better copy.
      This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
        OlyFlyer

I suggest you keep chasing Oly to ensure that your camera does not go to Portugal but gets repaired in Hamburg, if it goes to Portugal you would be better asking for your money back and go buy another camera and try to see if that is a better copy.
        Derek,

Unless I have misunderstood, I think that OF is getting a new replacement and the reference to Hamburg is because that is where the Eurpean Shipping warehouse is located.

Cheers

PeterD

Comment

That is correct. According to Oly Sweden, the camera gets replaced, not repaired. That's why they requested everyhing back. Anyway, the repair center is in Portugal and I am not worried for the work they do, even if in this case, since my camera is just a few days old and never been working properly, a repair is not a good solution.

Regardless of which, I doubt anyone can request repair being made in Hamburg since they don't actually have the experts in Germany to do the work. All the dSLR experts are in Portugal, which I don't have any problems with. Right now they are handling my E-500 in Portugal, and I am sure when it comes back it is as good as new. If I wouldn't trust them I would not have bought the E-3 at all.

Comment

Example of a properly focus image vs not:

(This is not with the e-3 nor zd lens but it illustrates the issue well):
            http://www.cogitech.ca/photos/Rokkor...img_8189_1.jpg
            --
            Look at the cap - the small section that is correctly focus shows the fabric. Slight front focus would result in what you see around the edge (in this specific picture the lens has very shallow dof - but it shows how slight front focus might look 'sharp' but is no where optimal compared to the properly focused image.

Comment

OlyFlyer

I was told I was to get a replacement but the camera is in Portugal being repaired - even though i had not reported an autofocus issue the camera repair status at the moment is classified as being worked on as an Autofocus issue
              where as the issue I bounced it back for was the comms failure between body and lens - all lenses. My camera was less than 2 months old when it died - I wonder what criteria they use to determine whether to replace or repair - given that a repair means the camera being away for about 4 weeks. Approximately one third of it's life so far.

I suspect that all cameras going back are being checked on the AF issue regardless of cause of return because some issue Oly now know about and they are not talking about it.
              This space for rent

Comment

Hey Derek

Sorry you are experiencing these issues with your E-3 and hope it all gets sorted for you soon. Might I ask one question though please...

As your camera was only 2 months old when it died, surely you would be entitled to a replacement unit from the shop where you purchased it...? Should they not simply provide a replacement unit as the one you were sold was clearly not fit for purpose. The responsibility remains with the supplier, not Olympus. Your supplier should take it up of course with Oly, but for you, the responsibility for providing a replacement unit is theirs...!

It sounds as though this isn't what happened...?
                John

Comment

John

The dealer could not get a replacement camera from Oly, none available, Oly asked for my camera back and that was at the beginning of the month, the dealer says that they cannot get any satisfaction from Oly.

Oly say I should get it back next week - if it has been properly checked and adjusted as well as repaired I may be better off than taking pot luck with a replacement camera. If however it has the slightest fault ......

By the way the dealer is a large dealer

I have faxed and emailed Handa in Germany but no response.
                  This space for rent

Comment

Can I suggest that you demand your money back from the dealer, then go to another dealer and obtain from there. It is the dealers responsibility at the moment, they can't give you that excuse if you want your money back.
                    John

Comment

John

That thought keeps going thru my mind - however I do not have complete trust in the quality of a new camera from a different dealer and also then I would be into a mail order situation with posting reject cameras back and forth.

According to Oly I should get my camera back next week - it should be as good if not better than a fresh out of the factory camera as it should have had a personal inspection and check out.

If I drive over the dealers to get my money I will only be getting a new camera only a few days ahead of the refurbed one which will have a known track record.

I then should be in a good bargaining position with the dealer.
                      This space for rent

Comment

Good thinking that man! I hope it gets resolved for you Derek.
                        John

Comment

John

When I returned the camera to the dealers I had to return everything that was in the box (and the stuff that arrived later - eg the DVD and two pin lead) because the dealers understanding was that it would be replaced.

I had hoped to keep the DVD and manual so that I could swot up on the machine. As it happens there has been some good tips emerging on the web and having the paper manual would have been useful annotation (yes I know about the PDF manual but I did not fancy printing that out even double sided for only a few days use - hollow laugh)

So the dealer thought I was going to get a replacement camera.
                          This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                          X