Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

HLD-4 power grip

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HLD-4 power grip

    I picked up a HLD-4 from Olympus yesterday (their new HQ in Watford is only 15 minutes away from the office ).

    If anyone has a question I can answer about the HLD-4, fire away!

    Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: HLD-4 power grip

    As I intend to buy an E-3 late next year and if your HLD-4 is one for testing I'd be most grateful to receive it as a gift.

    Regards. Barr1e
    Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: HLD-4 power grip

      Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
      As I intend to buy an E-3 late next year and if your HLD-4 is one for testing I'd be most grateful to receive it as a gift.

      Regards. Barr1e
      Your a chancer Barrie. I can't say I blame you. Better to get the request in now rather than wait for someone else to get the courage.

      PeterD

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: HLD-4 power grip

        Originally posted by PeterD View Post
        Your a chancer Barrie. I can't say I blame you. Better to get the request in now rather than wait for someone else to get the courage.

        PeterD
        True.

        Kindest regards. Barr1e
        Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: HLD-4 power grip

          Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
          True.

          Kindest regards. Barr1e
          Barrie,

          I note that Ian was asking for ANY questions about the grip but still has not replied to you. I wonder no answer is actually his reply

          PeterD

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: HLD-4 power grip

            Originally posted by PeterD View Post
            Barrie,

            I note that Ian was asking for ANY questions about the grip but still has not replied to you. I wonder no answer is actually his reply

            PeterD
            I'm not surprised - I just hope he has taken the family out. After all it is nearly Christmas and I don't think Julia and Ian have been away from their desks in quite some while. Don't you think they deserve it?

            We have been getting in the mood - we walked just under five miles to the pub today to meet friends from Norfolk. After a couple of pints of 'Humbug' and a pint of 'Sleighbells' all seemed a better place.

            Off to climb the wooden stairs. Night night.

            Kindest regards. Barr1e
            Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: HLD-4 power grip

              Originally posted by Barr1e View Post
              I'm not surprised - I just hope he has taken the family out. After all it is nearly Christmas and I don't think Julia and Ian have been away from their desks in quite some while. Don't you think they deserve it?

              We have been getting in the mood - we walked just under five miles to the pub today to meet friends from Norfolk. After a couple of pints of 'Humbug' and a pint of 'Sleighbells' all seemed a better place.

              Off to climb the wooden stairs. Night night.

              Kindest regards. Barr1e
              I agree with you that Ian should take time off. As for your exploits, no wonder you need to climb the wooden hill. Dream about receiving a message that you will receive the grip before Xmas. You never know!

              Goodnight

              Best regards

              PeterD

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: HLD-4 power grip

                Originally posted by PeterD View Post
                I agree with you that Ian should take time off. As for your exploits, no wonder you need to climb the wooden hill. Dream about receiving a message that you will receive the grip before Xmas. You never know!

                Goodnight

                Best regards

                PeterD
                That will be nice!

                KR. B
                Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: HLD-4 power grip

                  Morning everyone!

                  Been preparing for a per-Christmas get together with Julia's parents today as they will be away at Christmas and rearranging the living room since acquiring a new LCD TV. Spent yesterday morning bolting it to the wall

                  We only have a small living room but the space saved now we don't have the old TV in there is quite remarkable. I recommend it! The LCD display quality is not as good as our old analogue TV, it has to be said. I did plan on getting a plasma screen as they do have better picture quality, but I, er, won the LCD, so I can't complain

                  I think we need some Christmas smileys on here - on the to-do list for next week

                  Ian
                  Founder and editor of:
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                  NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: HLD-4 power grip

                    Just wondered about the HLD-4, whether you can tell if it is possible to fit the GS3 grip with a "normal" camera strap? And whether you have any info on when the GS3 might be available? Park Cameras say not yet available in Europe.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: HLD-4 power grip

                      Originally posted by Paulpp View Post
                      Just wondered about the HLD-4, whether you can tell if it is possible to fit the GS3 grip with a "normal" camera strap? And whether you have any info on when the GS3 might be available? Park Cameras say not yet available in Europe.
                      I can compare the two grips and measure the distance between both ends of the strap guides, but I haven't used either strap myself.

                      Ian
                      Founder and editor of:
                      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                      NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: HLD-4 power grip

                        Originally posted by Paulpp View Post
                        Just wondered about the HLD-4, whether you can tell if it is possible to fit the GS3 grip with a "normal" camera strap? And whether you have any info on when the GS3 might be available? Park Cameras say not yet available in Europe.
                        The main differences between the strap fittings for the two grips are:

                        1. The HLD-2/E-1 combination has a 'loose' strap lug at the top and the HLD-4/E-3 combination has two static fixtures at each end.

                        2. The width of the strap fixings are the same (about 12mm) but on the E-1 the total distance end to end is a minimum of 125mm, while it's about 150mm on the E-3.

                        3. The The anchoring point for the strap on the HLD-4 is on the base of the grip, whereas the HLD-2's is where the base and the side meet.

                        In conclusion, I'd have thought the HLD-2 strap would be OK as long as there was enough adjustment available. This will no doubt be confirned sooner or later

                        Ian
                        Founder and editor of:
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: HLD-4 power grip

                          Ian

                          Have you compared focus speed of the old style 50-200mm lens on an E3 with a HLD-4 containing two batteries and an E3 without the grip.
                          Is it faster - more positive

                          Thanks
                          This space for rent

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: HLD-4 power grip

                            Originally posted by DerekW View Post
                            Ian

                            Have you compared focus speed of the old style 50-200mm lens on an E3 with a HLD-4 containing two batteries and an E3 without the grip.
                            Is it faster - more positive

                            Thanks
                            Hi Derek,

                            I can't honestly say that I noticed any difference in the AF performance between single battery (no grip) and dual batteries with the grip using the 50-200.

                            Then again, I didn't notice huge difference when trying the same differences with an E-1 and HLD-2.

                            There is, however, a noticeable difference between the E-3 and E-1, mainly because the E-1 focuses in three distinct stages and the E-3 fels more like two stages and faster all the way. I think that's more to do with the AF algorithms than the power, though.

                            Ian
                            Founder and editor of:
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: HLD-4 power grip

                              Thanks - I will wait until my freebie grip arrives
                              This space for rent

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X