E-3 - excellent review in Digital Camera magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-3 - excellent review in Digital Camera magazine

The January 2008 edition of Digital Camera magazine arrived this morning, it features a review of the E-3. I am delighted to report that it gets an excellent score and review, scoring 91% against the Nikon D300 of 90%. A strong mention is given to the 12-60mm lens, it obviously has impressed the staff at DCM. Perhaps I should quote the final paragraphs to give you all a flavour of the DCM review.

""

The DCM reveiw spans 4 pages and will be of great interest to those of us who wish to learn about the E-3. Now all I have to do is save some money and eat a large slice of humble pie following my earlier thread on Olympus press coverage on this very forum!!

Re: E-3 - excellent review in Digital Camera magazine

Fantastic review quote there CaptainD, thanks for posting this. I will purchase this mag now and use in comments to certain peeps!!
    John

Comment

Nice to finally know a magazine agrees with me! Thanks for the heads up Captain D, there will be yet another tog magazine gracing the coffee table.
      Chris

Comment

Sounds like they actually took some pictures with it I think most "negative" press Olympus gets, apart from people who are stuck on the megapixel or noise numbers for whatever reason, comes when it is compared on paper/charts. People who use it tend to like it, and value the combination of features that simply make your life as a photographer easier.
        Glad to see a real "user" review, especially as it is positive!
        Phil

Comment

I agree with you all, it is so refreshing to have some positive Olympus coverage. Must be something to do with the fact Olympus have produced an excellent camera. Still I must get on with eating that large slice of humble pie!!

Comment

Even though I have posted in this thread recently, I have to say folks that hearing of such a positive review in a leading publication is such superb news.

No offence meant to anyone here who uses other gear - it's all good gear after all, but when newbies ask about which cameras they should purchase or look at, I get so fed up of Canikonites who regularly state such rubbish as 'you are buying into a system, don't consider Olympus', or 'look to the future of what you will be wanting to take photographs of' - all meant in a derogatory manner towards Olympus rage of DSLR's.

Of course, not everyone is of that opinion, but there's only so many times one can bear to read such dribble. The E-3 is most certainly a camera that has put the heebeegeebies in many another manufacturers pants!!

No longer are Olympus the lowest of the low... we have for a long time had a camera with a feature list providing a much better feature per pound ratio than ANY other camera out there - the E-510, and now that the E-3 has arrived and is receiving such critical acclaim can only be good for photography in general.

Competition is good... keep 'em on their toes Oly I say
            John

Comment

I have for most of my photographic life had a helping hand with me along the way, my benbo tripod. My first test shots were with the E3 were atop tripod. I have taken the E3 out about half a dozen times and today was the first time without my supporting friend. It was great to be free from the shackle of stability and to trust the camera and its IS.

Detail from the carving on a pulpit shows great promise. Without the worry of camera shake the E3 will mean less to carry and worry about, i will be less conspicuous and open to challenge and from the various situations i have been in my reservations about the camera are fading as i get used to its handling.

H

Comment

Well, I popped out to get the mag this morning. I haven't had time to read the review yet, but while I was sitting at my desk, I had a quick shufi at the freebie booklet "Digital SLR Handbook" which fell open at the Getting Started page, and they are using an E-410 as the example camera. Is this, at long last, a magazine without an inbuilt Cannikon bias? Is oly finally making some marketing headway?
                John

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery

Comment

John,

It seems that the publishers are taking the Olympus range seriously at last. It had always been that the image sensor size was a downer as far as they were concerned. Noise no longer is a big issue.

It seems the pluses e.g. lens size/cost/weight have become more important in their eyes. Its helped of course by the other great benefits introduced in the E410/E510 & E3 ranges.

PeterD

Comment

The following is a link to part of the AP test on the E3.Its starts with the usual rhetoric and tone of dismissive contempt which prefaces launch of all E series bodies.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...es_169076.html

H

Comment

Originally posted by Haisbro View Post
                      The following is a link to part of the AP test on the E3.Its starts with the usual rhetoric and tone of dismissive contempt which prefaces launch of all E series bodies.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...es_169076.html

H
                      Thanks for the link...

I always find Angela Nicholson's reviews very biased, with pre-concieved ideas and opinions regarding the 4/3rd system (and anything non Canon / Nikon in general)

As soon as i saw, in this weeks AP, that she was reviewing the E-3, i was expecting it to receive a less that satisfactory review.

However i am still looking forward to reading the review in the new-year.

Chris

Comment

I think what annoys me is that the preface to E series articles is based always on the same negativity. At what point in the future will AP realise that four thirds is here to stay.

H

Comment

Originally posted by Haisbro View Post
                          I think what annoys me is that the preface to E series articles is based always on the same negativity. At what point in the future will AP realise that four thirds is here to stay.

H
                          It will probably take a complete change of reviewer. Its very difficult to shake off prejudice as it is hard for someone to accept or acknowledge that they carry with them prejudice.

What does give me heart is to read the review in the first part of the thread. The Reviewer gave what I thought was a balanced review although admitting to a Cannon/Nikon background.

PeterD

Comment

I agree, lets hope for a fair balanced review with fact based findings.

H

Comment

I thought it was an excellant review as well, but then I havn't seen a bad one yet, of course it could be said that no revew is going to be too bad to any major advertiser, they can't afford to offend anyone really. But that review wasvery good indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X