Why are people returning to the E!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people returning to the E!?

Just thought i would ask the question above based on what I have read and seen. I purchased an E3 with grip not so long ago and despite using it find myself reaching for my old E1's. Find them easier to use and dare I say better image quality too. What are your thoughts on this?

-
    My greatest fear is after I am gone my wife will sell my 'toys' for what I told her I paid for them!

OM-1n with 28, 50, 100 & T32, E-10 (now deceased), E-1, E-3, EOS1ds mk2 with L glass, Fujifilm X100T

Comment

Re: Why are people returning to the E!?

I believe it maybe something to do with the sensor, which I think was a Kodak unit. A lot comment on liking the colours they get.

Bit like listening to vinyl records over CDs.
      Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Comment

I think it's a bit the same like with old cars - they look good, they were built to last and you need to have some skills to handle it. The practical side is very often irrelevant - now every decent phone has way more pixels. For past several years I haven't had time to use camera much but I remember that I used to had a lot better skills taking and framing a photo. In 5Mpix there was not that much of a room to crop, closest to idiotAuto was P mode, only 3 focus points from what I normally had only the center one and very limited usable ISO range. Last year I planned to give this camera to my now 10y old son to start photography but it ended up him taking my E-M10 instead as it was much lighter and easier to handle for his small hand. Now I'm thinking to get the old E-M1 as the prices have dropped... or to get finally a decent glass for the dinosaur.

Comment

Because one or two people start saying how great they are and others join in.
            Not sure if they agree or even like using them, but its trendy to be retro and cool.

In reality most of these items are poor compared to modern offerings.
            Using the car analogy who doesn't like power steering and the safety factors of todays vehicles.

Comment

Taken the other day with my 13 year old E1 and the ZD 50mm f2.

Only 5 mp but by Andrew Peter Martin, on Flickr
              All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

I still have my original E1 and it comes out of the store cupboard every now and then for an outing!

The ergonomics are poor by today's standards but it's built like a tank and the colours are wonderful. I have been cataloguing some images from the mid to late 2000's and here are a couple that were put on Flickr at the time.

Dylan
                by Steve Hallam, on Flickr

Selfridges

I ought to re-upload the portrait at a better resolution. I have a lovely A3 print of it which was much admired at camera club last week!

These are from JPGs. I didn't do raw in those days...
                Steve
                My Flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/HRVVS

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright

Comment

"Why are people returning to the E1?" ........

....... Because it's a great camera and an absolute bloody bargain

Simon
                  “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
                  ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by steverh View Post
                    I still have my original E1 and it comes out of the store cupboard every now and then for an outing!

The ergonomics are poor by today's standards but it's built like a tank and the colours are wonderful. I have been cataloguing some images from the mid to late 2000's and here are a couple that were put on Flickr at the time.

Dylan

Selfridges

I ought to re-upload the portrait at a better resolution. I have a lovely A3 print of it which was much admired at camera club last week!

These are from JPGs. I didn't do raw in those days...
                    Great photo's, shows what this so-called dinosaur is capable of.

However I must disagree with you on the ergonomics.... IMO its ergonomics have not been bettered in any DSLR ... period! It fits ones hand like a glove, becoming an extension of ones arm. Balance is perfect, shutter is sublime, ISO/WB/ buttons where they should be, not in some menu.

The E1 was and still is a very underrated camera, if Olympus were ever to build a replacement ( not going to happen I know ) using the same form factor but with just minor tweaks such as IBIS, larger LCD being ideally articulated I wouldn't think twice about buying one. Yes the E3 & E5 had these but I never really bonded with their handling, the E1 is far superior in that regard.

And yes, that Kodak CCD produces wonderful colours if you work within its usable ISO range.

Simon
                    “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
                    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                    X