How far we have come with noise control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far we have come with noise control

Boredom has set in. I have been wanting to get out and take pictures with the E-pl5 & my new 40-150R lens. But the weather is more suited to the E-1! So I sat indoors, playing. I wanted to see for myself the results with the E-PL5 at different ISO and Noise filter settings. Pretty impressive, for me I can live with no noise filter up to ISO 6400. So how does this compare to my other cameras, the E-1, & E-30?

First E-PL5, ISO 3200, F2.8, Noise filter OFF, Sigma 30

E-30, ISO 3200, F3.2, noise filter OFF, 14-54

And the E-1, ISO 3200,F3.2, Noise filter OFF, 14-54

And finnally, E-PL5, ISO 25600, F2.8 Noise Filter OFF, Sigma 30

Makes you wonder why noise is even mentioned in reviews anymore.

Re: How far we have come with noise control

It is nice & impressive, isn't it. Don't worry, the 'pixel peepers' will try to find fault.

I have to confess that my E30 has hardly been used since I've had my E-M5. It comes out now & again more for novelties sake now or just because I want to compare a shot too.

BTW, nice self portrait!

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

E-1 is obviously the leader there, it even picked up the stripes on your phone which the modern cameras failed to do...

Comment

From what I can see, the E30 stands out.
        This is not a camera I have ever handled, but seeing its quality in the forum, I am getting more and more impressed.
        The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

The E-30 is the second image not the first. The second is far worse for noise than the first one.
          Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

Whoops Silly me !
            The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Working...
            X