No announcement yet.

Is there a decent case for the EPL-3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Is there a decent case for the EPL-3?

I am a hiker and have been happy to take different of my cameras on hikes for various reasons or whims. But sometimes I just take the dogs for a walk. I'll drive to some new spot, put leashes on them and walk for an hour or so. It would be nice to have a light-weight camera along "just in case I see something interesting."

I've been looking at a number of cameras with fixed zooms but they don't seem any smaller than my E420; so just yesterday I ordered an EPL-3, new with the kit lens. I "assumed" I would be able to find a case that I could clip or attach to my belt so I could leave it there unless I saw something I wanted to photograph. I searched eBay and Amazon.com but didn't find anything that struck me as appropriate. I've got an old Pentax case with a belt loop. I can probably get by with that for awhile but it is fairly bulky.

Maybe no one is using their EPL-3 in the manner I am planning, but in case someone is, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,
    Lawrence

Re: Is there a decent case for the EPL-3?

the real issue is that people who are using 'the camera' in this manner wall have different lenses attached!

there are a number of potential solutions but they will be heavily predicated on your local market and the configuration you have decided on.

put another way, I wouldn't expect there to be a dedicated E-PL3 + 14-42 lightweight belt case.
    E, Pen and OM-D bodies
    43 m43 and legacy glass
    loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

I'd recommend one of the LowePro pouches. I use one for my Pen E-P3 and standard zoom (or with a 14mm standard lens instead) which has an AllWeather rainproof cover built in, and a beltloop that lets it fit on a rucksac belt. (Mine are old discontinued models now but if you take the camera to a decent camera shop I'm sure you'll be able to find a current equivalent.
      Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Thanks, CJJE.

I use a Lowepro pouch for hikes but it is rather large and while it will take any of my DSLRs, I don't like to leave a camera in it for too long. I already tore the rather flimsy belt loop out of one and stitched it back several times. I recently got another one of the same model, but it is too large for my little EP-3 idea.

Lawrence

Comment

Why not have a look in your local Charity shops, our local one has a box with about 50 belt pouches in it and all priced 50p. I just bought a superb, leather, Leica pouch for my EPL-1 from this source.
          The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Photo_Owl.

Yours, unfortunately, sound like good points.

But I've read that the kit lens isn't all that bad. Doesn't anyone use it? The DPReview analysis of the EPL-3 was based for the most part upon the 14-42 kit lens as far as I could tell. No doubt those intending to use the EPL-3 as one of their primary cameras would acquire something better but that isn't my initial plan.

If what I ask doesn't precisely fit what anyone here does, I'll just go back to trial and error ordering from internet sources -- something I'm already used to.

Thanks,

Lawrence

Comment

Imageryone,

That sounds like something worth trying. While we don't have a camera store in San Jacinto as far as I know, we do have a large Salvation Army store in nearby Hemet. I'll check it out the next chance I get.

Thanks,
              Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Historicity View Post
                Imageryone,

That sounds like something worth trying. While we don't have a camera store in San Jacinto as far as I know, we do have a large Salvation Army store in nearby Hemet. I'll check it out the next chance I get.

Thanks,
                Lawrence
                Always worth a try, amazing what you can find if you are prepared to look. I just got a Contax 35mm and three lenses for about $5:00 equivalent.
                The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

Working...
                X