Sad, if true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad, if true

43rumors reports the discontinuation of the PEN-F.

https://www.43rumors.com/the-olympus...-at-mapcamera/

Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Re: Sad, if true

That's a nasty surprise!
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there ó even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

They were previously listed as discontinued on Japanese sites in 2017.

In June last year I had one (with 17mm 1.8) in my basket at Currys checkout for only £681.97, and was tempted to buy a second one (and sell the lens to get second body at bargain price).

Looks like the rumour might be true this time.

https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-jap...continued/amp/

Comment

The silver version is still available though.
        PEN-F Silver.jpg
        Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Surely this means the ii is imminent.
          Regards,
          Mark

------------------------------
          http://www.microcontrast.com
          Too much Oly gear.
          Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
          Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

I'm still a little bit puzzled as to why the PEN range exists. They seem to offer less than the OMD equivalents of similar price, with the supposed benefits being rather subtle matters of styling and ergonomics. They lack the OMD's cosmetic bulge to accommodate a notional pentaprism, which is a slight compactness advantage. More importantly most seem to lack a viewfinder. The PEN-F seems to have more rationale than the earlier ones, having a viewfinder and the 20MP sensor, and being cheaper than the only other model with the 20MP, the (more highly specified) E-M1 ii.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if there's no Pen-F II. Personally, I'd rather see an EPL-10 with a small EVF and cheaper than the F. That would make more sense in terms of providing something different to the OMDs but with enough to meet an enthusiast's needs.
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

Love my Pen-F, much more than my EM-1. Great camera for macro (focus stacking), great for travel, great for street photography. Like being able to switch to b&w so easily. Pity about the price, otherwise I would have two !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seaslater

Comment

It doesn't sound like there will be a PEN-F II, despite (or because of?) its high price compared with OM-D equivalents Olympus are claiming they didn't make the profits they'd hoped for.

I love mine as a smaller fashionable alternative to my E-M1II, so if you want one watch out for the sale prices!

Chris
                  Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

I love my black Pen F, such a `feel good` camera. Used it as recently as yesterday at the Aerospace museum, Filton, Bristol Took some shots of a rather bigger discontinued item!

Tim

Comment

So, going forward, if you want the premium rangefinder style experience, then look to Fuji. Or Leica...

Comment

Originally posted by Internaut View Post
                        So, going forward, if you want the premium rangefinder style experience, then look to Fuji. Or Leica...
                        The Leica M is definitely a rangefinder, not a faux style rangefinder with an EVF.
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                          The Leica M is definitely a rangefinder, not a faux style rangefinder with an EVF.
                          For most, the Leica M is also a mortgage for otherwise behind the curve tech. And itís not for everyone... Iíve played with a Leica M. Yes, the manual focus method is pretty intuitive, but ultimately not for me. Iím told very few are skilled enough for a *very* high percentage of keepers, focus wise. Add to that the product doesnít lend itself to very precise composition. The Fuji and Olympus faux rangefinders, OTOH, are just very nicely shaped, comfortable to hold cameras, for those who mostly shoot smaller primes or slower zooms.

Comment

I have one of the Fuji rangefinder style cameras (X-Pro2) it has both ovf and evf
                            Very nice camera, bit bigger than the Pen, but still nice to use
                            The smaller ones such as the X-E2 which I have also owned are equally nice, not quite as solid feeling though.
                            If they had ibis I would never have switched to m4/3 for much of my photography using fast primes.

A very decent alternative which hasn't been mentioned is the Panasonic GX range.
                            The GX9 is turning into one of my all time favourite cameras, does everything I want.
                            Bit better evf would be nice, but its fine for framing purposes and can't think of anything I really don't like.

Good bit cheaper than the Pen, same sensor and even has a little pop up flash.
                            Use mine most of the time and can't see me changing unless it fails
                            or a GX10 came out (might that if it had improvements I would use)

Comment

Ignoring all the camera talk, those Filton shots look great Tim. Definitely a museum to add to my list .
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                              X