Re: Why no printed manual?

Ah, but it saves on trees

Steve
    Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
    Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
    My website

Comment

I'm with smallcreep on that one. Reading a PDF on screen is a real pain. And if you have to spend money getting one printed, you may as well give Olympus a tenner and get one in the small size format they've used for a while now.

Unfortunately, there is no eBook reader (iPad included) that displays a PDF in a way that is as good to read as text on a Sony, Kindle...

Comment

Aren't all camera manuals rubbish anyway? I've never seen an Olympus one that was any use to me....

Comment

Yes, actually I do agree that you can't beat a printed manual. I have to admit that I have printed off all my camera manuals (on the company printer ). My green side is for the trees though which makes me feel somewhat guilty

Steve
          Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
          Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
          My website

Comment

Originally posted by DekHog View Post
            Aren't all camera manuals rubbish anyway? I've never seen an Olympus one that was any use to me....
            Hum... yes, you may have a point there !

Joking aside, it's good to have just to get used to the various functions and buttons.

Comment

I guess it is because so very few people actually READ their manual ! AND manuals used to be published in 7 languages!

once downloaded manuals can be printed two pages A4 to 1 page A4 and back to back (odd first then even on the back of odd!) or just the pages you want to look up!

I would be upset if they did not supply an eye cup with screen cameras! BUT many do not use eyecups
              [I].
              I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
              Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Originally posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
                I guess it is because so very few people actually READ their manual ! AND manuals used to be published in 7 languages!

once downloaded manuals can be printed two pages A4 to 1 page A4 and back to back (odd first then even on the back of odd!) or just the pages you want to look up!

I would be upset if they did not supply an eye cup with screen cameras! BUT many do not use eyecups
                Goto Talk Photography forum to find out how many people read the manual, it's also inversly proportional to the price of the camera.......

Comment

Then, for those of you who want to save the ecologically damaging limitless commercial pine forests of the northern hemisphere (how many good landscapes a.k.a. photo-opportunities have been blanketed out that way?), or have an intuitive grasp of the non-obvious functions of your cameras, we could be provided with a voucher or website that allows us to request a printed and bound copy of the manual in the language of our choosing ... at no additional cost.
                  Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Howi View Post
                    Goto Talk Photography forum to find out how many people read the manual, it's also inversely proportional to the price of the camera.......
                    That's so true.

I always download the PDF manual before buying the camera so I can set it up as soon as the battery's charged.

I don't think I've opened a paper manual since the OM4 hit the shelves.
                    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

I have just taken delivery of an E-5 and a TG-610 BOTH have Manuals ! and CD with big manual on !
                      [I].
                      I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
                      Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Peter

Comment

That's very strange, my E-PL2 and twin lens kit came complete with the printed manual

I would question your dealer further.....

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum
                          Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                          Capture One Pro
                          My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Greytop View Post
                            I would question your dealer further.....
                            To tell the truth, I would rather let the matter drop. I have the printed manual I purchased and have little confidence that the dealer will do anything other than prevaricate, given that their earlier response was to indicate that I had got what I paid for. Obviously a company not to deal with again. Time to move on. Time to get out there again and take more pictures with my wonderful little camera.

If anyone in Olympus wants to take this up (it's their reputation that's at issue here), I would of course be willing to provide more detail.
                            Peter

Comment

I wouldn't mind the manual coming on a disc, as long as it didn't come in PDF format!

I hate hate hate trying to read PDF documents on a computer, I can never seem to get the size right or get them to scroll smoothly!

In the end I give up and print the things out, if they came on something more logical that was flowing and simple to read then it would be a whole lot easier!

PDF's are almost as bad to get my head around as itunes!

Comment

Working...
                              X