Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Thinking of an E-P5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of an E-P5

Re: Thinking of an E-P5

Jim,

I had an EPL6 before I got a Pen F. I absolutely loved it. A brilliant travel camera that produces amazing results. So easy to carry, very light and perfect with the 14-42 pancake which I still own and love equally. The only extras I purchased were an electronic viewfinder and a grip bracket. The VF was simply because I prefer them, the grip bracket (non Olympus but great quality) helps with slightly larger lenses such as a 12-40 or 75-300, at least in my opinion.

I would buy without hesitation.

Tim

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Hmm, I guess that it hasn't got a lens?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          Hmm, I guess that it hasn't got a lens?

Jim
          No, but I do have an excellent 75-300 that has such low use that I may as well sell...
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

I used to use the EPL5. Great little camera, but the snag I found with it, and this type of camera, is that I have to put on my glass's to see the screen.

A viewfinder is a must for me. The EVF clip-on was useful, but a pain to carry around separately.

Just my 2p worth..............
            Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
              No, but I do have an excellent 75-300 that has such low use that I may as well sell...
              Thanks, but I was really after a compact 'pancake' lens.

Jim

Comment

I'm still vacillating over getting an E-P5!

My main reason is portability, so I don't want a thumping great lens to go with it. I've seen reviews of the 14-42 'pancake' lens that are critical of the optical quality.

Is there a compact alternative to the above lens, but with better optical quality?

Jim

Comment

My main reason is portability, so I don't want a thumping great lens to go with it. I've seen reviews of the 14-42 'pancake' lens that are critical of the optical quality.

Is there a compact alternative to the above lens, but with better optical quality?

Jim
                  Jim,

I love the 14-42 pancake but can also endorse the Lumix 12-60 as a good travel companion of an EPL size camera. Light, versatile and good results.

Tim

Comment

I had an E-P5 (in fact the one that Graham is selling !) and it's a lovely camera. I only sold it because I really wanted a viewfinder and the VF4, whilst superb in itself, made the camera bigger than an OMD overall so I decided to switch. It's got lovely handling though and has a great feel to it. The image quality is every bit as good as all the other 16Mp cameras and the IBIS is the same as in the E-M5 and E-M10ii etc. If a lightweight camera is what you need then it's a good choice.

I'd avoid the 14-42 EZ though and go for the Panasonic 12-32 instead. It's notably sharper and it goes wider. Or better still, go for a prime. The 17/1.8 is great or if you fancy something smaller and cheaper go for the 20/1.7 it 14/2.5.
                    Paul
                    E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                    flickr
                    Portfolio Site
                    Instagram

Comment

Jim
                      My 2p - I have an E-PL5 - now worth so little I haven't sold it.
                      It came with the 14-42mm II R lens which is small and has a collapsing mechanism.
                      I then upgraded to the E-M10 Mki which came with the 14-42mm EZ lens.
                      I can't tell the difference between the two in terms of optical quality but I don't pixel peep.

I find the II R lens is slightly nicer to use because it's manual zoom and while you have to unfold it I can do that very quickly. It's disadvantage is it's larger but then it's hardly enormous.
                      The EZ lens wins on portability as it is very, very small. There's nothing wrong with the powered zoom but I prefer the manual one.

I tend to carry the EZ lens in my bag and use it frequently when the light is good.
                      If the light isn't as good I turn to one of my small primes and I'm often using the Olympus 17mm f1.8 which I bought as an upgrade to the f2.8

If you're on a budget then the II R lens is very cheap used. The EZ is a fair bit more expensive used. I wouldn't buy either of them at their list prices which IMHO were set to make bundle deals with cameras look attractive.

If you are set on a viewfinder then the E-M10 Mkii is a very compact and capable option.
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/

Comment

Jim
                        Well then Jim I think you will hard pressed to get a better deal on the 'body' than in the link below.

Leica Store Manchester ( aka .... Stephens of Manchester ) , I have dealt with David Stephens and he is very professional and offers excellent service as would be expected to have gained 'Leica Store' status ( as opposed to just a Leica dealer ).

Cannot help out with the lens currently but I'll keep an eye out for you.

Kind regards,

Simon

https://www.leicastoremanchester.com/olympus-e-p5.html
                        “Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”
                        ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Bee View Post
                          Well then Jim I think you will hard pressed to get a better deal on the 'body' than in the link below.

Leica Store Manchester ( aka .... Stephens of Manchester ) , I have dealt with David Stephens and he is very professional and offers excellent service as would be expected to have gained 'Leica Store' status ( as opposed to just a Leica dealer ).

Kind regards,

Simon

That is a VERY good price.
                          Paul
                          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                          flickr
                          Portfolio Site
                          Instagram

Comment

Kind regards,

Simon

A very good price!

I don't know how you do it, Simon. I mean not many would look at a Leica store for an Olympus camera.

Anyway, if on your travels on the Internet you happen to come across another Gothic Pen f, please let me know. I think I should have two bodies, one for colour and one for B&W, as well as being a back up.

PS PW's shop has been closed all week (holiday, possibly) so I'm still awaiting delivery of the first Pen f. Can't wait!
                            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Cheers Simon - I didn't really need that!

;^)

I'd talked myself out of wanting an E-P5 until your post. I'll wait until Monday and hope that it's gone by then. If is hasn't ....... !

The problem is that I've an E5 and am using it with a 14-35 f2. It's a wonderful combination, though heavy. I don't really want to take photos with another camera with inferior optics and end up saying to myself 'I wish I'd taken that with my 14-35'.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X