Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New firmware for E-P5 (1.4) & Stylus 1 (1.1) cameras.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New firmware for E-P5 (1.4) & Stylus 1 (1.1) cameras.

Olympus has released firmware updates for these two cameras with the following details.

E-P5 - Ver.1.4
    (May. 14 2014)
    A 0 second setting has been added to Anti-Shock mode.
    Shooting images when using the remote control function of the smart phone application "OLYMPUS Image Share" now supports Art Filter, custom self timer, zoom operation when using the electric zoom, Digital Tele-converter, and Release mode.
    * It is necessary to update to the latest version of OLYMPUS Image Share.

Stylus 1 - Ver.1.1
    (May. 14 2014)
    Shooting images when using the remote control function of the smart phone application "OLYMPUS Image Share" now supports Art Filter, custom self timer, Digital Tele-converter, and Release mode.
    * It is necessary to update to the latest version of OLYMPUS Image Share.

I'll do my Stylus 1 tomorrow morning when all the others have gone to work & the dogs fed so I don't get interrupted etc. BTW, the Stylus 1 already had zoom control in Olympus Image Share (maybe that was a test camera for it?).

Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Re: New firmware for E-P5 (1.4) & Stylus 1 (1.1) cameras.

Thanks for posting. Presumably the 0s anti shock is Olympus's solution to the much reported first curtain shock phenomenon. Being 0s, presumably this implements an electronic first curtain. Anyone know for certain?
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
      Thanks for posting. Presumably the 0s anti shock is Olympus's solution to the much reported first curtain shock phenomenon. Being 0s, presumably this implements an electronic first curtain. Anyone know for certain?
      Yes, that is correct as it is how the E-M1 was first updated.
      Ross
      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

Thanks.
        I read somewhere (probably on M43) that there can be a slight issue with this technique, for instance when capturing with relative motion between the camera and subject, eg a moving car against a static background can lead to distortion due to the way the sensor is line-scanned for the 1st curtain. But the gain will greatly out-weigh this, so no worries.
        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Re: New firmware for E-P5 (1.5) & Stylus 1 (1.1) cameras.

Olympus has now made a further update for the E-P5 to fix a small bug in the last update.

[ E-P5 ]
          Ver.1.5
          (May. 23 2014)
          The issue in firmware version 1.4 where displayed information of shooting mode (shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensitivity) did not change has been resolved.
          http://dl01.olympus-imaging.com/ww/u.../index05a.html
          Ross

Comment

I've just tried the firmware updater and it's failed twice, each time the error condition reported being 'can't connect to server'. There's a period of about 15-20 minutes from initiating the update to the error message to report the failure. Don't see any point continuing tonight, and I don't want to push the battery any further.

I have a question in my mind, the updater informs that the current camera firmware is 1.3 and the latest for download is 1.5, it clearly bypasses 1.4 not offering the intermediary step. So is 1.5 a bug fix of 1.4, meaning 1.4 is redundant and the intermediary step is not required.
            Views or knowledge on this please.
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

There was a minor bug introduced in 1.4 that 1.5 fixes. I guess the upgrade process is a complete replacement of the firmware, so there's no point installing 1.4.
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

That was my take as well, but good to have a second opinion.

I will add though that the Olympus update software is absolutely dreadful, the lack of feedback whilst the process is going on, or not, leaves the user guessing for ages, fearful of a bricked camera in the making. I'm confident that my broadband link is ok, and during update the broadband performance looked promising in terms of download / upload, I.e a conversation was in process. All an illusion though, no update. My guess is it's a server issue, if I could remember how, I'd do a trace to see where it failed.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

I guess I've been lucky. I've done a lot of lens and body upgrades and never had an issue. I agree though that the lack of feedback is less than ideal...
                  Paul
                  E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                  flickr
                  Portfolio Site
                  Instagram

Comment

I have done a lot of updates too and been lucky so far. I think you will find that the latests firmware is installed automatically. My suspicion (from observation) is that there is no particular danger while the firmware is being downloaded. The critical time is when the firmware is actually being copied from the computer to the camera (this is indicated on the camera's display) -- that is when a power failure in the computer or a battery failure in the camera could be fatal. Just my speculation.
                    I did think that the 1.4 to 1.5 update in the E-P5 installed very quickly (as though it was only a partial update).

Comment

Working...
                    X