Firmware update help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firmware update help!

I tried to update the firmware on my E-PM1 when I bought it in late June 2012. The camera went black during the update and nothing would work, the camera was dead, so the dealer exchanged it for another.

Since then I've bought an E-PL5 in Spring 2013 and recently an E-P3, along with a VF-3. I have not updated anything!

However, the Olympus site suggests I need to update the E-P3 camera firmware from the present version, which is 1.0, 'to avoid lock ups with the View Finder. My camera has so far worked with the view finder with only one lock up which I solved by removing the battery after switching the camera off and back on didn't work.

So you'll understand I'm a bit wary of updating the firmware.

Is there anything I need to know before I follow the seemingly clear instructions on the Olympus site, and hopefully update the firmware?

Thanks for any advice.
    Too many cameras!
    E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/

Re: Firmware update help!

Fully charged battery, steady internet connection and once it starts don't touch anything until it is done.
    This method has worked on many camera and lens updates for me
    Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
    Flickr

Comment

As above fresh fully charged battery and leave it to get on with it,
      Ed

Live life in the slow lane.

Comment

Thanks for the very fast answers. I'm impressed!

Is this likely to be a long process? I see there are four updates to version 1.0 software on the E-P3.
        Too many cameras!
        E-500, E-510, EPM1, EPL5, EP3, EP5, OM-D E M10, OM-D E M5, Trip 35mm, Samsung WP10 and Panasonic G6 plus lots of lenses many manual focus.

Comment

Originally posted by byegad View Post
          Thanks for the very fast answers. I'm impressed!

Is this likely to be a long process? I see there are four updates to version 1.0 software on the E-P3.
          I think (but I'd like others to confirm this) that it is only necessary to instal the latest update and that when you download it will do this automatically.
          John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

OK. After some agonising I attached the E-P3 to my computer and with racing heart updated the firmware.

Successfully.

Emboldened by my success I've also updated the E-PL5 and E-PM1's firmware. Again with success. I have no idea why my first E-PM1 wouldn't update but I now have three cameras and a couple of lenses up to date with firmware.

Thanks to everyone who advised and reassured me.

..And, breathe....
            Too many cameras!

Comment

Working...
            X