Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP2 or EP3

Hi Folks,
    I am considering buying into micro four thirds system. My question is very simple, and has probably been answered elsewhere, sorry if it has but I can't find it. Can somebody give me some idea if the EP3 is worth the extra money over the EP2?
    I really want it as a camera that I can carry around each day, I have been looking at the XZ1 but I think I will miss the flexibility of the interchangeable lenses. Any advice gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Shirley
    Shirley
    www.shirleyhollisenterprises.co.uk
    www.photographsbyshirley.co.uk

Re: EP2 or EP3

Not just because I own one, but the best bang for your buck in the PEN series at the moment is coming from the E-PL2 - far, far cheaper than the E-P3, but apart from the quicker AF of the P3 there's really nothing huge in it.

There are also many considerable improvements over the P2 by going for the PL2. Pop up flash (wireless control); bigger screen; quicker AF etc. Actually a larger viewable screen area for image review/picture taking than the P3/PL3, as these rather stupidly have a 16:9 screen ratio rather than 4:3...

Whatever you buy, get the cheaper body and spend what you can on lenses - whatever body you get you are still basically

Comment

As with with all camera bodies I would recommend getting to hold the ones you are considering. I was considering the same options but when playing with them found the size/form of the EPL bodies, along with the lack of the thumb control wheel made them harder to use.

The EP bodies were much more comfortable to me, having said that I don't have small hands!

Having decided on an EP body there really was no contest between the EP2 & EP3.

Having just returned from my my first holiday with the EP3 I can really appreciate the benefits of a small system that had as much control and flexibility as my full 4/3rds setup but was so compact and light I hardly knew I was carrying it arround.

Derek is right, if the EPL-2 is the right size and has the level of control for you then it does represent the best value currently. Good luck with what ever you choose.
      Jason.

E-M1, E-M5, EP-3, E1
      ZD 9-18, 12-60, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, 12-50, 40-150, EC14, EC20, EX25
      Sigma 30

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadgeteer2004/

Comment

I found my E-PL1 for sale 2nd hand at a good price, and if you Google you'll see most say it's not worth me upgrading to the E-PL2. But the E-PL2 looks to be the better camera if you're buying from scratch.

Having said that, it's my XZ-1 I pick up more than the E-PL1!

David
        --------------------------
        -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

Originally posted by shirley View Post
          ... give me some idea if the EP3 is worth the extra money over the EP2?
          IF you would be using the kit zoom lenses (or new 12mm or 45mm) then the touch-screen and very fast autofocus might make it worth the money. It has a built-in flash too.

If image-quality is your target then the cheaper e-pL1 or e-pL2 will give at least the same image-quality as the newer e-P3.

If it is nice retro styling and metal finish you're after then the e-P2 and e-P3 seem similar, and the e-P2 can be found cheaply as a used bargain.

Without understanding why you want a m4/3rds Olympus Pen you might end up with the wrong camera.

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to reply but oh dear I think I am getting very confused.

The most important thing for me is the image quality and portability, I am not too worried what the camera looks like. Initially I would use the kit lenses but I can imagine I would add to it. I may think about buying a viewfinder but that would depend on cost.

As for the difference between EP and EPL I really haven't got that straight in my head. The only thing I can think of doing at the moment is to hire some bodies and lenses and see which I like, the problem is there are quite a few versions and I wouldn't want to hire them all!!

Any further clarification/advice gratefully received

Thanks
            Shirley
            Shirley

Comment

Comment

Thanks DeHog,
                It is all beginning to make some sense.
                I must admit until this weekend I really haven't taken much interest in the micro four thirds debate, so it feels like a lot to take in in one go. Your summary is very helpful and you make some valuable points about hiring.
                More to chew over.
                Thanks again. Much appreciated.
                Shirley
                Shirley

Comment

plus VF-2 plus 45mm f1.8 (based on current prices at my local Cameraworld).

Your priorities and needs are very likely different to mine, Shirley, and you may well find the E-PL2 route more attractive than the E-P3. The E-P2 is also a bargain at present but lacks a built in flash, although it does have a separate thumb wheel to improve handling.

Hopefully some of my thoughts will help you make the decision that is best for you. I just wish I could be sure. I really want the E-P3 but it is a lot of money!
                  John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Don't forget the Franiec grip is available for the PL3.... looks very nice....

dpreview.com/news/1109/11091325franiecgripforMini.asp

Comment

Originally posted by DekHog View Post
                      Don't forget the Franiec grip is available for the PL3.... looks very nice....

dpreview.com/news/1109/11091325franiecgripforMini.asp
                      John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Shirley, we still don't know much about what you want of your new camera, other than "portability".

Is that an ability to put it in a pocket? If so, the interchangeability of the PEN lenses perhaps rules it out, unless you want several bulging pockets? You'd need a camera bag, or maybe a large handbag?

The XZ-1 fits in my jeans pocket, but 'only' 10MP and a maximum optical EFL of 112mm may not be sufficient for you if you're looking for large prints and a longer reach. But 112mm is better than the PEN's 14-42mm (EFL 84mm max).

So, is it ultimate image quality you're after, in which case a PEN and a bag of lenses is the solution, or a compromise for greater portability?

Tel us a little more.........

David
                        -XZ-1 * VF-2+EP-9

Comment

John.... I feel it's a LOT of money for the P3 - OK, the focussing is quicker, but only what it should have been anyway. The build is nice but, like cars, there are no badly built cameras these days. Touch screen? Well, if it appeals to you (or you need it), I suppose it could be a good thing, but I could never see myself using it - the lack of the flip screen (something I would use) was just the killer for me.....

Shirley, as David said, once you put a zoom (any zoom) on a PEN, it's not pocketable in any way, but if you could live with a fixed focal length in the form of a pancake, it's a great tool with fantastic image quality. The fixed focal lengths also mean considerably better image quality than the zooms, especially with pancakes like the Panasonic 20mm F1.7....

Comment

Dave

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge

Comment

The EPL3 handles fine for me as is. The way I hold it it cradles in the palm of my hand and doesn't slip at all, I find the ergonomics surprisingly good considering how compact it is.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X