Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-P2 photo at iso 6400

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • E-P2 photo at iso 6400

    Taken with E-P2 fitted with ZD 9-18mm plus adaptor. ISO 6400. PP in LR3 beta, sharpening 40 and luminance nr 90.

    Stephen

    A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

    Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

    My Flickr site

  • #2
    Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

    Yes, it's certainly on the soft side, but all things considered it's remarkable.

    Ian
    Founder and editor of:
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
    NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

      Thanks Ian. I have others in the same general location taken at ISO 2000 which are less soft (I can post if you wish) which goes to show that LR3 and the latest range of Oly cameras makes the fear of noise a thing of the past (in my opinion!).
      Stephen

      A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

      Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

      My Flickr site

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

        Looks very good - can you post the same file without the sharpening and NR?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

          Your wish is my command - from the Raw file with noise reduction and sharpening set to 0.


          Stephen

          A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

          Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

          My Flickr site

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

            It is quite remarkable - you'd be happy with that result from APS-C, never mind micro 4/3...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

              Yes, that's pretty good. I actually prefer the second version. Good piece of kit by all accounts.

              Pete
              Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


              Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

                It's not as if it were particularly well lit - witness the 1/50 at f5.6 on ISO 6400. But the E-30 and E-620 should be similar as I understand they use the same sensor. Do they have different AA filters and/or processing engines? (Memo to self: take the E-30 to work next week and try it!)
                Stephen

                A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

                Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

                My Flickr site

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

                  Originally posted by StephenL View Post
                  It's not as if it were particularly well lit - witness the 1/50 at f5.6 on ISO 6400. But the E-30 and E-620 should be similar as I understand they use the same sensor. Do they have different AA filters and/or processing engines? (Memo to self: take the E-30 to work next week and try it!)
                  The Pens all have the new TruePIC V image processor and sensors with less anti-aliasing. The E-30 and E-620 (and E-450) have the TruePIC III+ image processor, one generation ahead of the E-3, E-520, and E-420.

                  Ian
                  Founder and editor of:
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                  NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

                    Thanks Ian. Well, it works!

                    Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    The Pens all have the new TruePIC V image processor and sensors with less anti-aliasing.

                    Ian
                    Stephen

                    A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

                    Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

                    My Flickr site

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

                      The level of noise is appalling, as I have found with my EP-2 at ISOs above about 400. You can see it in the viewfinder. I had to use my EP-2 recently when my EM-1 was in for repair and I had forgotten quite how awful it was.

                      Harold
                      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

                        Hi there Harold!

                        It is surprising how peoples impressions change over a few years and a few generations of camera technology - what was more than acceptable 4 years ago becomes disappointing when compared to the latest and greatest. I tried my new E-M1 and my old E-30 with the same lenses and lighting at the olympus giffords circus meet - I couldn't get a single usable image with the E-30 due to the darkness of the tent but every image came out fine on the E-M1!

                        Cheers,

                        Ralph.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: E-P2 photo at iso 6400

                          Originally posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
                          Hi there Harold!

                          It is surprising how peoples impressions change over a few years and a few generations of camera technology - what was more than acceptable 4 years ago becomes disappointing when compared to the latest and greatest. I tried my new E-M1 and my old E-30 with the same lenses and lighting at the olympus giffords circus meet - I couldn't get a single usable image with the E-30 due to the darkness of the tent but every image came out fine on the E-M1!

                          Cheers,

                          Ralph.
                          Good to hear that. However, where Live View Boost is switched on the review image will usually look good, even if significantly underexposed. I have had images, including many flash ones, look great in the camera and very dark on the PC (RAW files). This is something to watch. Harold
                          The body is willing but the mind is weak.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X