Exposure compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposure compensation

I may have missed it, but I presume you can't dial in an automatic exposure compensation so that e.g. all images have - 0.3EV?
    And in the wrong place I know but can you do this on the E3 - I had thought so but can't find it anywhere?

Re: Exposure compensation

Have a read of this http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-sett.html

I find his explanations so much easier to understand than the manual

my "standard" setting in my preferences is 1/3 rd of a stop underexposed

Comment

Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

well neither my 3 nor 30 have it anywhere that I could find.............
        E, Pen and OM-D bodies
        43 m43 and legacy glass
        loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
          well neither my 3 nor 30 have it anywhere that I could find.............
          Me neither, but...

In the Menu > spanner F, there is a flash exposure +- as well as what looks like a regular exposure +-. This setting (I think) makes them the same, so... if you say 'yes' to this, then you can set the default flash compensation: Camera2 menu, to whatever you need. I think this will then replicate itself to the amount exposure compensation applied.

Just a thought...?
          John

Comment

Originally posted by theMusicMan View Post
            Me neither, but...

In the Menu > spanner F, there is a flash exposure +- as well as what looks like a regular exposure +-. This setting (I think) makes them the same, so... if you say 'yes' to this, then you can set the default flash compensation: Camera2 menu, to whatever you need. I think this will then replicate itself to the amount exposure compensation applied.

Just a thought...?
            I had a search.. In the E620, the "Cog" tab, page "I" its called exposure shift :-)

Pete
            Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Comment

[QUOTE=snaarman;64019]I had a search.. In the E620, the "Cog" tab, page "I" its called exposure shift :-)

Pete[/QUOTE

well ****er me - and I thought I had these menus sussed!

it's there in Custom Menu 1, wrench I exposure shift in the same way and, solves a previously unsolvable problem - how to dial in exposure compensation when shooting in M mode with auto ISO.

generally that's a blanket adjustment for the type of shooting (BIF, aircraft etc) rather than one off framing adjustments, and even this deep in the menu can be used quite easily.

excellent news!

now to work out if it's a 'my mode' programmable adjustment...... did I ever mention I wanted more 'my modes'?
              E, Pen and OM-D bodies
              43 m43 and legacy glass
              loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems

Comment

If nothing else all these posts make me feel less stupid!
                Why can't the manuals be easier?

Comment

Had an interesting discussion with someone this evening who thought that exposure compensatiion must adjust either aperture or shutter speed whereas I thought it was electronic wizardry?
                  Would be grateful to be proved right (or otherwise).
                  And in exposure bracketing I presume if in aperture priority then the shutter speed is varied and vice versa?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpp View Post
                    Had an interesting discussion with someone this evening who thought that exposure compensatiion must adjust either aperture or shutter speed whereas I thought it was electronic wizardry?
                    Would be grateful to be proved right (or otherwise).
                    And in exposure bracketing I presume if in aperture priority then the shutter speed is varied and vice versa?
                    Hi Paul

Sorry, but humble pie is on the menu... your friend is correct. Exposure compensation does adjust the shutter speed or exposure - depending on what mode you are in.

If in 'A' - then dialing in -1ev for exposure compensation will increase the shutter spead by 1 stop, and if in 'S' then dialing in -1ev for exposure compensation will close the aperture (higher f number) by 1 stop.

Exposure bracketing is where you set the aperture, and if you say have -1, 0 and +1 for three bracketed shots; the shutter speed is amended for;
                    • -1 (shorter exposure by 1 stop)
                    • 0 (correct shutter speed used)
                    • +1 (longer exposure by 1 stop)

Hope this helps.
                    John

Comment

Thanks. Blast - I hate being wrong!!

Comment

Sorry Paul...
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpp View Post
                          If nothing else all these posts make me feel less stupid!
                          Why can't the manuals be easier?
                          Just to throw a spanner in the works (and apologies to Paulpp for hijacking his thread), on all my cameras I can set exposure compensation. Fine, I understand that. But I can also set flash exposure compensation which I also understand. But when I read that I can set flash compensation to be in addition to the camera compensation or not ( I can't remember how they describe it - it may just be that it's on or off) my brain seizes up. Surely one of these must be wrong as they can't give the same exposure? Or am I missing something so simple that I'm going to be embarrassed by the answer?
                          Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X