Long exposures, and hyperactive HLD-6 shutter release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long exposures, and hyperactive HLD-6 shutter release

I recently bought a variable ND filter for my E-M5 and have been out today playing around with it. I noticed that when the exposure is longer than a couple of seconds it takes the camera a much longer time to write to the memory card. Like 40 seconds or so, instead of the usual couple of seconds! Why would that be? I can't see that a long exposure needs a similar length of time to store the data afterwards.

Also, with the HLD-6 attached the shutter release on the grip will often trip the shutter when the button is only half-pressed. This only appears to happen in normal shooting mode, not if the self-timer is used. Sometimes it clears itself, sometimes I need to use the main shutter release on the body to clear it.

Has anyone else experienced either behaviour, and if so is there a cure?

Lastly, is there a setting which enables the SCP to appear on the screen when the EVF switch is set to off? I normally use the EVF without the eye sensor to save power but using the SCP through the EVF isn't entirely ergonomic! Obviously I can use the EVF button to switch to screen when I want to use the SCP, I just thought it would be handy if the OK button could do it for me.

Thanks
    Regards
    Richard

Re: Long exposures, and hyperactive HLD-6 shutter release

Probably dark frame subtraction or whatever it's called on the E-M5
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Yep does sound like dark frame reduction to me also.Have a look at how the noise reduction is set, if it's auto I think it will come in on any exposure over 2 seconds.
      All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

Thanks, I'll have a look in the manual for that - I did have NR set and it did appear to be whenever the exposure was more than 2 seconds. I was just surprised at how much longer it took to process the image.
        Regards
        Richard

Comment

Dark frame reduction what it does is a second exposure with the shutter closed
          It uses info from that to cancel out hot pixels
          Dave

Comment

I tried a variable ND filter but it gave and effect of lines and nothing noticeable as decent images.... think I will stick to +2 etc

Comment

I haven't noticed any image degradation so far but admittedly it's early days. The one I bought was from SRB:
              http://www.srb-griturn.com/camidox-v...der-1068-c.asp
              It only comes in 62mm and 77mm; I went for the 77mm which fits my 12-60 SWD quite well with a stepping ring.
              Regards
              Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
                Also, with the HLD-6 attached the shutter release on the grip will often trip the shutter when the button is only half-pressed. This only appears to happen in normal shooting mode, not if the self-timer is used. Sometimes it clears itself, sometimes I need to use the main shutter release on the body to clear it.

Has anyone else experienced either behaviour, and if so is there a cure?

Thanks
                I have the same hyperactive shutter release problem. Alas I haven't found a solution. It started when I upgrade to firmware v 1.6 and 1.7 didn't fix it :-(

Comment

I think it's only happened when the second half of the HLD-6 is attached. I was out today with just the top half and had no problems.
                  Regards
                  Richard

Comment

Working...
                  X