Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sensor cleaning

Idiot Alert*

I was out and about in the rain the other day and decided I wanted to change the lens on the OM-D. Needless to say a spot or two of rain got on to the sensor which I foolishly tried to dry off. There are some obvious spots on the sensor now.

I had a look through the forums here but I couldn't find a definitive solution to my problem of how/where to get the sensor cleaned.

Any advice would be appreciated please.

TIA
    jimfrost.pictures

Re: Sensor cleaning

If you want a professional job, Luton Cameras are probably your best bet.

If you want to try yourself, I would suggest a Canikon forum, after all, they seem to have to clean sensors almost every day

Never had to clean a sensor in any of my Olympus DSLR's, but never got water on them thank heavens.
    The picture tells the story, great when you have a bad memory.DW.

Comment

jimfrost.pictures

Comment

Olympus information re. OM-D sensor cleaning

The sensor should not be cleaned by a user for two very important reasons:

1: When the camera is turned off the sensor is loose. When powered on, the sensor is suspended in a magnetic field to enable the five-axis image stabilization.

2: If the sensor is cleaned by a user using a swab, the anti-static coating on the sensor is wiped off. Our repair technicians replace the coating when they perform this service.

Cleaning is not mentioned in the manual because from the beginning of our DSLR / PEN / OMD program we have employed a Supersonic Wave Filter to shake dust off of our sensors, a feature other digital camera manufacturers have neglected to employ.

Now you know...
        It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Thanks again.

I 'phoned Park Cameras and they didn't mention any issues when I told them it was an OM-D which needed cleaning. Ideally I would prefer it to be done by Olympus themselves but there is an old thread on here which mentions that Olympus don't have a service centre in the UK?
          jimfrost.pictures

Comment

Originally posted by trailer View Post
            Thanks again.

I 'phoned Park Cameras and they didn't mention any issues when I told them it was an OM-D which needed cleaning. Ideally I would prefer it to be done by Olympus themselves but there is an old thread on here which mentions that Olympus don't have a service centre in the UK?
            No, unfortunately if a camera needs attention from Olympus it has to go on a little holiday to Portugal. Park Cameras have a good reputation and are Olympus stockists so they should be trustworthy. Or, as Imageryone said, there is always Luton Cameras.
            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I cleaned both my E-PL5 and E-M5 without mishap. I gave a quick outline of what I did here:

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/what-s-defi...tml#post467077

It's interesting what you say about anti-static coatings - hadn't thought of that. However, I would think it's something that would need to be carefully applied so as not to cause IQ impairment. I wonder if non-Oly labs have the capability to do that?
              Paul
              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
              flickr
              Portfolio Site
              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                I cleaned both my E-PL5 and E-M5 without mishap. I gave a quick outline of what I did here:

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/what-s-defi...tml#post467077

It's interesting what you say about anti-static coatings - hadn't thought of that. However, I would think it's something that would need to be carefully applied so as not to cause IQ impairment. I wonder if non-Oly labs have the capability to do that?
                Thanks Paul, it's reassuring to hear of your success in cleaning the E-M5 sensor, but I don't think my hands would be steady enough to do it myself! Interesting point about the coating, I don't know the answer to that.
                John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

I sent my OM-D off to Park Cameras for the sensor clean. I'll let you know how it went!
                  jimfrost.pictures

Comment

Originally posted by trailer View Post
                    I sent my OM-D off to Park Cameras for the sensor clean. I'll let you know how it went!
                    Thank you! It would certainly save the hassle of a lengthy trip to Portugal!

Comment

after all, they seem to have to clean sensors almost every day
                      Your not wrong there, just ask my EOS-1d/1ds sensors about it!
                      -
                      My greatest fear is after I am gone my wife will sell my 'toys' for what I told her I paid for them!

OM-1n with 28, 50, 100 & T32, E-10 (now deceased), E-1, E-3, EOS1ds mk2 with L glass, Fujifilm X100T

Comment

A quick update. The OM-D has returned from Park Cameras (Received back by courier the same week on their 3 day service) but I'm away from home for the next week or so to try it out. No mention of any issues from Park though so I'm assuming that all is well. Will update again when I get my hands on it!
                        Last edited by trailer; 8th August 2013, 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo
                        jimfrost.pictures

Comment

Good to know its back. I would like to know more about this anti static coating thing though.

Strange that mirrorless cameras do not have a cloth or leaf "shutter" mechanism to cover the sensor when switched off. It could prevent all sorts of things from falling onto the sensor when the lens is removed.
                          Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                          Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                          Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                          Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                          Learn something new every day

Comment

A tip I was given in the 60's from an RAF pro togger was to turn the camera face down when changing a lens. Over the years, it has proved itself useful in both hot and steamy locations as well as the dry arid conditions of the Middle East deserts. As someone else has remarked - Canon users - get plenty of sensor cleaning practice. In the last three years I have found that the sensor on my 1D, seldom needs cleaning. The advice from all those years ago, still holds true.

PS: Apologies if teaching Granny to suck eggs.
                            It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Comment

Sage advice Wally!

My 1D and 1Ds are both mk2's hence pre-self-cleaning, the 1D was sold to me filthy (LCE Bristol!!), the 1DS was like a new pin but is now after 2 years showing a handful of faint 'bunnies'. What has been amazing is how clean the sensors of my two probably similar age or older E-1's are (low shutter count admittedly). Seems Olympus got their cleaning system right to me!
                              -
                              My greatest fear is after I am gone my wife will sell my 'toys' for what I told her I paid for them!

OM-1n with 28, 50, 100 & T32, E-10 (now deceased), E-1, E-3, EOS1ds mk2 with L glass, Fujifilm X100T

Comment

Working...
                              X