Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Anyone here with the 60mm macro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here with the 60mm macro

I rather post in here as I wanted to know how the 60mm macro perform on the OMD and listen to users though on this lens like you guys

I am a macro person I use to own a 100mm f2.8 IS L macro lens one of the net for canon.

So want a good one for the omd.

Also is there such think ring flash for omd like we can get for dslr.

Re: Anyone here with the 60mm macro

No experience of the 60mm, though I do have the FT 50mm F2 & 35mm F3.5 macros which will work via an adaptor.

here is a genuine parts Olympus ring flash and also a pair on twin flash heads, all of which will fit the 50mm (via an adaptor).

There are also some 3rd party ring flashes and LED rings which are claimed to work, though I've never tried any of them,.
    Best Regards
    Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
    They're Watching You!

Comment

The 60mm macro is getting amazing reviews, it's laser sharp, great bokeh for f/2.8, weather sealed to go with you OM-D and is solid construction. I'll be getting it when funds allow, and if you look on the Olympus website you'll find out all of this for yourself, including the nifty lens hood which is available for it, and the ring flash you can get...
      James

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)

Comment

You can check out this brand new review from Steve Huff - a guy who shoots Leica and the OM-D (because of the quality of the lenses) - nuff said.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/1...-shoots-macro/
        James

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)

Comment

Rooky, as you probably know I moved from canon (7d & 5Dmk2 with the 100LIS) to the EM-5 with 60mm f2.8 macro for my macro work and I have been both amazed and delighted with the quality of images this combo gives.
          It at least matches my best results from the canon set-up with the added bonus that its so much lighter (I do 95%+ of my macro work hand-held)
          As for the Macro Flash I've got the Metz 15 MS-1 which is more limited than my old sigma macro flash on the canon (in particular, no option for high speed sync, which I used a lot) but it does the job well enough.
          I quite like using the kit flash as a master controller for the Olympus FL600R on a flash bracket for macro work as well as this does give me all the control I want (HSS + manual or TTL ect)

The 60mm is a darned good studio lens and works well for close up birding / landscape work too.

I've put a few examples up here in other threads and there are more images here:

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com...o-images-15725

(I initially got a used copy of the Panny 45 f2.8 macro and whilst its a good lens, for me its not up to the quality of the oly 60mm - it has a nice image quality rendering though with a less clinical look than the Oly but this was one of its shortcomings for me as I like the more clinical look for my work)

Comment

Ming Thein also has a review on his site (blog.mingthein.com) and he says the same - the Panny Leica is a fine lens, but it's quite old now and this new one from Oly beats it, especially for AF speed.
            James

Comment

Rooky007, Two Words, BUY IT.

If you are serious about close-up/macro it doesn't come better, but then there is much more to this lens. Check the links for more information

This is one from an ongoing project I'm doing on, "Things in the Kitchen".

Here are the links from 3 photographers who tested the lens out, well worth reading.

Please visit your local store, take your EM-5 and ask if you can demo the lens, you will be amazed at the quality.

Hope this helps you.

All the best.

Tom
              "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tomphotofx View Post
                  Rooky007, Two Words, BUY IT.

If you are serious about close-up/macro it doesn't come better, but then there is much more to this lens. Check the links for more information

This is one from an ongoing project I'm doing on, "Things in the Kitchen".

Here are the links from 3 photographers who tested the lens out, well worth reading.

Please visit your local store, take your EM-5 and ask if you can demo the lens, you will be amazed at the quality.

Hope this helps you.

All the best.

Tom
                  That any excellent image and all images your guy showed plus the reveiws it just wow.

I be using it for portraits too as I did do with my Canon 100MM L too.

This lens sounds like a cracker but I have not decided on a flash yet. Some people dont bother with flash but I think it needed isnt it?

Comment

grab it with both hands and run away before they change their mind

Comment

Originally posted by brian1208 View Post
                      grab it with both hands and run away before they change their mind

Comment

Seems a good price to me, I haven't found the need for the lens hood yet, but will probably get one in the near future if only as a help to protect the front of the lens.

All the best.

Tom
                        "Who is watching the Watchers, watching the Watchers watching us"

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios

Comment

I'm loving mine & it is great value for money (especially for our deals in Australia).

Here are some threads that I've posted using this lens.
                          http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24092
                          http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24377
                          And also my posting in this thread.
                          http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthre...947#post201947

Ross
                          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Do I need a hood for it as not sure if I want one
                            I got one and its a goodie, stays on the lens permanently and slides up and back like the hood on my 300f4LIS used to.
                            It does seem expensive for such a small thing but its beautifully engineered and I reckon its well worth the money.

(others may see it differently and prefer to go for a 3rd party equivalent and who am I to say they are wrong )

Comment

It is an excellent lens and I'm having great fun with mine.

This thread has some "bug shots" I took with the E-M5 and 60mm macro.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24058

Regards.
                              Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                              OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                              Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Working...
                              X