David Busch Camera Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: David Busch Camera Guide

I hope that Father Christmas is taking good care of mine!!

Comment

My copy, also pre-ordered from Amazon some time ago, arrived a few days ago. Comparing it with the E-P2 book by the same author, the page count is lower and the binding semms less strong. All pages are still attached though.

As I was comparing the two books to see why the page count was lower, the table of contents became separated :-(. However, I still think it's a lovely book and I am not returning it. Both books have lay-flat binding; the new book's binding is nowhere near as good as the original Repkover (TM) bindings used on O'Reilly computer books (which seem to last forever) http://oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/ask...over_0304.html

Comment

I forgot to say. I do love the book -- as with the author's other books I've seen (E-5 and E-P2) the explanations and pictures are much more useful than the supplied owner's handbook (esp. to a new user -- the OM-D EM-5 was my first proper digital camera)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha1 View Post
          I hope that Father Christmas is taking good care of mine!!
          So far it appears that he did, but I have only opened it and read the first chapter so quite a lot of reading left yet!!

It is a very comprehensive tome for a paperback.

Comment

Well so far the first 16 pages have fallen out by just reading them and turning each page! I will read a bit more and then it will be going back to Father Christmas as I think she, whoops h'mmm, he sourced it via Amazon!

Comment

Interesting development (I think): from the Amazon.com listing for this book the following appears:
              "From the Author

Update: A small number of copies with defective binding did slip through, but they have all been recalled. Those in the warehouse have been checked and are fine. Anyone who received a misbound copy can receive a prompt no-cost replacement. Although many thousands of correctly-bound copies have been sold, these few bad eggs are causing inconvenience for some users of this great camera. If you received a copy that shipped before the recall, ask for your free replacement copy. On Page XVI of the book you'll find a link where you can contact me to request a replacement copy directly from the publisher.

Kindle version now available! The ebook edition is guaranteed not to have any pages fall out."

So I guess the rogue copies have ended up in England! I will (reluctantly) be returning mine after all. I suspect that the "recall" is the reason why amazon.co.uk don't have any copies for sale themselves (they do stock a whole bunch of other books by the same author).

I will keep an eye and order again when amazon UK show stock themselves.

Edited to add: apologies for pasting the reference to Kindle. I don't believe the book is available for the Kindle version at the moment (even in the USA).

Comment

Where did you see the Kindle version was available? It's not on the UK Amazon store...
                James

OM-D E-M5 and lots of other things to to bash into it in the bag (usually a Billingham Hadley Pro)

Comment

Sorry. I should have edited that remark out. On the author's blog, he mentions Kindle versions and suggests that they are USA-only. Publishers have to separately negotiate for Kindle versions to be available in each region.

Comment

From http://dslrguides.com/blog/ the entry for 23rd December:
                    "A spot check shows that Amazon has restored Kindle versions of many of my books, after a hiatus of some months. The negotiations between the publisher and Amazon are a function above my pay grade, but I’m glad some kind of agreement was reached. Now, if Amazon can be convinced to offer my books in their locations outside the USA, everyone will be happy."
                    But I don't see the em-5 book for the kindle on amazon.com (and I couldn't buy it even if I could see it).

Comment

Extremely sorry that so many bad copies were shipped to the UK. The overall number of copies with bad bindings is small, but that's no comfort to those who have had their pages fall out. The bad copies have all been recalled, but if you receive one, your retailer should quickly have it replaced for you.

On page xvi of the book there is a link you can use to tell me what I can do to make this book even better. Aside from using a bullwhip on the staff of the bindery.

David

Comment

Originally posted by David D. Busch View Post
                        Extremely sorry that so many bad copies were shipped to the UK. The overall number of copies with bad bindings is small, but that's no comfort to those who have had their pages fall out. The bad copies have all been recalled, but if you receive one, your retailer should quickly have it replaced for you.

On page xvi of the book there is a link you can use to tell me what I can do to make this book even better. Aside from using a bullwhip on the staff of the bindery.

David
                        Thanks for this insight, and welcome to the forum! I hope you'll stay around and perhaps pass on some unpulished tips.
                        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Unpolished tips?
                          It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

David M's Photoblog

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
                            Unpolished tips?
                            Something like that

I hate the iPad keybored!
                            Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Well in late December I notified Davis Busch by email that my copy was just not useable, (I hate to use the expression "U.S." in this instance).

I received a charming note from David in reply advising me that I would be hearing from his publisher and they would be sending me a new copy direct from the States.

To date, nothing has arrived even though I offered to pay for a new copy. I have been away for a month but nothing received at the house or with neighbours in that time, so I emailed again this week, but this time I did not get a reply by return!

The original was sent back to Amazon for refund which was made in true Amazon style, so I am not out of pocket, so I will now re-order a new copy via Amazon. I really wanted (needed!) the book to take away with me, so a bad job all round.

Comment

Terribly sorry that my publisher has not been responsive to your original inquiry and follow-up. They assured me that this would be taken care of and would be faster than getting a replacement from Amazon. I have followed up with them myself three times, but my contact, the fellow who assures me that something is being done, is not the same fellow who actually mails the book.

I had 50 personal copies of the book, which I long since have given away, or I would have sent you one of mine. At this juncture, I can't get additional copies any more quickly than you can, so I am at the mercy of the publisher's staff, too.

On a brighter note, there have not been any reports of defective binding in about a month, so they seem to been all weeded out. I do apologize.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X