E-M5 and moving subjects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M5 and moving subjects?

After my son stopped playing junior rugby couple of years ago and my role as match day snapper ended, my E-3/SWD outfit seemed heavy, big and expensive in relation to what I wanted a camera for (holiday/family/dog walks etc.). It didn't do video either.

So I ended up non-Oly with an entry/mid dSLR and a group of compact/light lenses from 18mm to 250mm, although an 18-135mm is on it most of the time. It's nowhere near the E-3/SWD, but it's good enough, ticks my boxes and produces pleasing results. Thing is, I've never really loved using it, I find it utilitarian and well, plastic. I would rather be using Olympus.

I still stalk this site and have put an E-P3 and now of course the E-M5 into my basket on SRS many times. The E-M5 doesnt come cheap and I wish it had an onboard flash, but I mainly hesitate due to doubts about getting shots of running dogs, active children, landing ducks etc, often at tele distances. My experience with an E-P1 plus reviews of the E-M5 suggest that it could be a retrograde step in that department compared to the dSLR I have, not in the continuous frames performance (it's plenty fast), but with continuous focus and also the way a live view system works compared to a mirror and optical view finder on a traditional dSLR when being used that way.

Now that a few of you have been using the E-M5 for a little while, I was wondering what you think and whether you're using it for shooting moving subjects and being successful?
    Last edited by michaelavis; 3rd June 2012, 07:40 PM.
    Michael.
    E-P3, 14-42, VF-3

Re: E-M5 and moving subjects?

To tell the truth, not a right lot moves around here. I've got a few shots of Dibnah, the Jack Russell, running on the beach but that's about it. Mostly I've used it for landscapes.
    Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

Re: E-M5 and moving subjects?

I don't think i have fast enough reactions to shoot much action myself but a few people have been trying it out and there have been one or two quite detailed posts on DPReview on C-AF which sound fairly encouraging. At any rate, with the super speed burst mode even S-AF gives a decent chance of some good shots. Doing a 5 stop bracket more or less sounds a like a single exposure!

David

Comment

Working...
      X