Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Buying From America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying From America

Jamie

Re: Buying From America

I was going to do this back in April but then decided not to get the OM-D. But the Oly warranty was 2 years online if you register your purchase. However, I think you have to show purchase proof to claim
    [I].
    I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
    Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album

Comment

Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by jamie allan View Post
        My main problem is there is nowhere in the central belt in Scotland that you can go handle the camera - no one has it.
        I have it - you're more than welcome to come over here and try mine.
        Stephen

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Comment

I suspect it's more than a warranty issue. US prices seldom include local sales tax which can add a bob or two. HMRC will want VAT off you as well.
          David

EM1ii, EM10ii

Comment

David,
            I've gone through the B&H site to checkout and there is no added sales tax. I appreciate that bringing the camera into the country has its issues but if its in your luggage there is little chance that HMRC is going to question its purchase.

Stephen,
            Thanks for the offer I'd really like to see the camera in the flesh - so to speak. I work in Edinburgh Mondays and Fridays - this week Tuesday due to the holiday. Would it be possible to arrange something soon?
            Thanks again for the offer.
            Jamie

Comment

We visited the US a couple of years ago and I had every intention of buying a lens from one of the big camera shops there. All looked good until you added the tax onto the price, and then with the exchange rate being low at the time it was just about as cheap to buy one here, and if bought here you had the peace of mind that the warranty gives you.
              One thing I did like over there is the fact that the camera shops seemed to stock Olympus gear and you could try a lens on your camera, or even actually hold a camera in your hands before buying it.
              Tracey Jones

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!

Comment

Originally posted by jamie allan View Post
                David,
                I've gone through the B&H site to checkout and there is no added sales tax. I appreciate that bringing the camera into the country has its issues but if its in your luggage there is little chance that HMRC is going to question its purchase.
                From some recent posts on FTU it seems that as US sales taxes are levied at different levels by each individual state companies like B&H do not include sales tax on internet sales for "out of state" purchasers. US citizens are supposed to declare such purchases on their Tax Return (yeah, I bet they do). However if you purchase "over the counter" in one of their stores they will automatically add the local sales tax.

From many years experience of international travel on business I would advise never to chance your luck with HMRC. If they find a high value item in your luggage they will certainly question its purchase and ask to see a receipt. They also have a database of serial numbers of all items which have been legitimately imported into the UK. With today's concerns over security and drug smuggling I suspect that at least a proportion of incoming baggage is also X-rayed. If you are caught going through the Green Channel with an undeclared item you will certainly have to pay the VAT and any import duty plus they may confiscate the item or fine you or all three!
                Add to this the risk of pilfering by baggage handlers and it doesn't seem worthwhile.
                Sorry if this is all negative but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Regards.
                Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Working...
                X