X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh My Dilemma

I visited Hatfield Forest today (see separate thread
    John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Re: Oh My Dilemma

I think you have answered your own questions really, it would be a big gamble without seeing the real world image quality.
    hearts at peace under an English heaven

Comment

Speaking as one who uses an E 1, and a non expert, I would stick to what you have, I was advised a long while ago on this forum that its easy to chop and change bodies with little advantage, only after several years am I begining to get the best out of my E 1 and do not intend to change.

Comment

Very interesting dilema and one that I share albeit coming from a different direction.

I am at the point when I want to upgrade from the kit lenses which came with my E520 plus the body itself.. The latter is my priority for handling reasons connected with being a glasses wearer and the strong desire for a swivel/tilt rear screen as well as some more specific needs around IQ.

So my plan was 12-60/50-200 SWD with, ideally, an E5 and maybe EC14 and/or ec20. I have Sigma macro and long tele.

Then along comes OMD. This looks very good indeed as it has much that appeals.

It only has a tilt screen rather that swivel, which I find very odd I might add, but the big issue is the m4/3 glass. How good is it compared to the aforementioned lenses? Bearing in mind that with the 4/3 convertor that could be partly addressed but some of the OMD advantages, AF especially, will not be available to my understanding.

Handling is a open question but I hope to get a feel for that at Focus. An E5 still appeals for it's size and associated preferred handling in advance of that experience.

So that still leaves the question of glass.

Is m4/3 glass as good as 4/3?

Will Olympus address full 4/3 compatability with the OMD series? By that I mean full AF and not just the basic ability to use the lenses.

Ian - it might be an impossible question for you to answer so apologies upfront on that but do you have any information on the 4/3 compatability with OMD in its fuller sense.

Plus, again a nasty question with associated apologies, is this the end of E series 4/3 camera's or will we see an E7 OM enthusiast/pro camera with the mirrorless technology in the OMD and the high quality sensor but for 4/3 glass?

Personally that is what I want and I ackowledge my selfishness on this and the fact that I have not yet handled an OMD.

Hec
        Last edited by Grumpy Hec; 13th February 2012, 08:40 AM.
        I've worked hard to be this grumpy. It hasn't been easy at times but it's worth it.

Comment

Difficult to answer...is weight that important? How much do you need the technological advantages of m43?
          Can you fund the OM-D with a bit of saving and the sale of the bodies only?
          chris
          shetland

Comment

Apart from weathersealing your e-P3 seems ideal, and wasn't a cheap purchase!
            Stick with e-P3 but try some anti-drizzle ideas.
            I'd see what forum denizens do in other systems too.

I don't think this is the time to sell in order to buy, the e-M5 is unproven.

Comment

You're not the only one who's had similar thoughts!

I did a price check a while ago when the EP3 came out and worked out it would cost me several hundred pounds to effectively end up with the same kit in MFT flavours as I currently have in FT.

I then went back over some of my old photos and asked "how much better would these have been with the EP3" and I came to the conclusion not that much... yes, the EM-5 is a drool-worth piece of kit and if it lives up to the promises even more so, and as such could be the camera that gets me converted to MFT, but I'd definitely like a bit more confirmation on the specs and performance.
              GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

I've had no regrets moving to m4/3s only. The G3 (the OM-D is much the same size) is still much smaller and lighter than the E3 so still carries the benefits of m4/3s light weight and compactness.
                The thing is, you are buying the OM-D for its weather proofing which is fine but the only m4/3 lens available at the moment is the 12-50 (and the 60mm macro when it is released) so to take advantage of the weather proofing you either have to use 4/3 lenses via the new adapter or get the 12-50.
                Spring then summer is coming soon so hopefully your wet weather concerns may be alleviated for a while allowing you to keep using the E-P3 and wait for reviews etc of the OM-D.
                I'm happy with my G3 and have no immediate plans to get the OM-D.

Paul

Comment

John,
                  I agree with Sponner I really could never see myself buying something of that value without handling it at some length. I work at airports so all my Olympus purchases to date have seen me playing with the kit at Dixons. It also put me off the Panasonic G series as I just felt they were too small in my hands. My problem is that since there are now no Olympus stockists here - apart from PENS at Dixons/Jessops I don't know how I'll get a feel for new Olympus DSLR kit in future - assuming I would have funds to buy it
                  Jamie

Comment

Just came across this and I'm guessing the E-M5 was not designed with FT SHG glass in mind.

Even with the grip and my small hands I could not see me getting my finger around it for the lack of room.

Regards Paul.
                    One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/

Comment

Originally posted by OlyPaul View Post
                      I'm guessing the E-M5 was not designed with FT SHG glass in mind.
                      Looks just like an NEX camera to me!
                      GX7, EP3, 9-18, 14-45, 45-150, 20 1.7, 25 1.4, 45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

or like me maybe people are looking for reasons to buy the OM-D

Comment

I think that photo makes a very good case for the 'hump'. Imagine trying to use a built-in flash or even a separate flash unit mounted lower on the body, especially with the lens hood in place. The hump should lift the flash unit high enough to give it a fighting chance of working.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Zuiko View Post
                            I visited Hatfield Forest today (see separate thread
                            I will put some 12-50 samples up on FTU later today, John.

Ian
                            Founder and editor of:
                            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                            NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jamie allan View Post
                              John,
                              I agree with Sponner I really could never see myself buying something of that value without handling it at some length. I work at airports so all my Olympus purchases to date have seen me playing with the kit at Dixons. It also put me off the Panasonic G series as I just felt they were too small in my hands. My problem is that since there are now no Olympus stockists here - apart from PENS at Dixons/Jessops I don't know how I'll get a feel for new Olympus DSLR kit in future - assuming I would have funds to buy it
                              Dixons and Jessops are likely to stock it.

Ian
                              Founder and editor of:
                              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                              NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X