Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

E-M5 III reviews

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: E-M5 III reviews

    Originally posted by Internaut View Post
    The original E-M1? For the 12-100, the E-M1 mk ii would be a very significant upgrade (and money can be saved by not buying new).
    I would be genuinely interested to hear in what ways the the MkII would be a 'very significant upgrade'. I find the image quality of the Mk1 to be excellent, so it is hard for me see how much more I would get with the Mk2. Every time a deal on the Mk2 appears, I think 'should I buy it?' But I only really use the Oly for landscapes now, so improvements like better high ISO performance and pro capture etc are an irrelevance. So, I struggle to find a justification for the significant expense of the Mk2 now that the bulk of my photography is done with the Canon system.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: E-M5 III reviews

      Complaints about a camera being too small beat me!

      I'm 6' 4.5" with a hand span 1/4 meter (250mm), yet I can handle my E-P5 easily!

      How big are the hands of those that would find an E-P5 too small?

      Jim

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: E-M5 III reviews

        Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
        I don't really see that.

        I have an E-P5 that I use with my old 4/3rds lenses. With a big camera relative to the lens you hold the camera and support the lens. With a small camera and big lens, you hold the lens and support the camera.

        Jim

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: E-M5 III reviews

          Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
          Complaints about a camera being too small beat me!

          I'm 6' 4.5" with a hand span 1/4 meter (250mm), yet I can handle my E-P5 easily!

          How big are the hands of those that would find an E-P5 too small?

          Jim
          I'm just under 6'1" and my hands are no where near that big. But I find the EM1 Mk1 results in pain in my right hand after prolonged use which i don't get with the bigger Canon. This is probably because I have intermittent carpal tunnel problems though.

          To me, it is not just a question a whether the smaller body is too small. It is a question of whether a bigger body would be BETTER. If I'm lugging big lenses around, the benefit in terms of size and weight of a smaller body seems quite marginal. But if I can hold it comfortably all day, than that is a real advantage to me.

          Mark

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: E-M5 III reviews

            It seems to be that the ergonomics of body size, lens weight etc are entirely a matter of personal preference. The arguments can become pointless as it's each to their own taste. I am significantly taller than either Mark or Jim and my hand span is 245mm. Ever since my Minolta MF days I have used a grip and battery holder on any camera which takes one, even the small grip for the EM10ii. I like it that way and it suits my style of photography but I certainly won't criticise anyone who thinks differently (or who uses a different camera system).
            David

            EM1ii, EM10ii

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: E-M5 III reviews

              Originally posted by Melaka View Post
              It seems to be that the ergonomics of body size, lens weight etc are entirely a matter of personal preference. The arguments can become pointless as it's each to their own taste. I am significantly taller than either Mark or Jim and my hand span is 245mm. Ever since my Minolta MF days I have used a grip and battery holder on any camera which takes one, even the small grip for the EM10ii. I like it that way and it suits my style of photography but I certainly won't criticise anyone who thinks differently (or who uses a different camera system).
              David,

              You're being far too nice! remember anyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong, possibly even a traitor!

              Regards
              D Trump
              I didn’t get where I am today....

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: E-M5 III reviews

                Originally posted by Mark_R2 View Post
                I would be genuinely interested to hear in what ways the the MkII would be a 'very significant upgrade'. ............But I only really use the Oly for landscapes now...................

                If you only do landscapes then the E-M1 Mk.ii may not be a significant upgrade for you.


                For me, interested in wildlife photography, the improvement in speed of operation was profound. If I was tracking a subject with my dot-sight, the Mk.i was very unreliable in gaining focus, whereas I can trust the Mk.ii to get the shots. From the specs., it looks as though the E-M5 Mk.iii will do so too.
                Mike
                visit my Natural History Photos website:
                http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: E-M5 III reviews

                  Strange how so many people spend ages keenly anticipating the new model then go to great lengths saying why they won't be buying it.

                  Knew I wouldn't be buying one, but my daughter has been waiting for its release and expect she will take the plunge at next years Photo Show.
                  It looks very nice and if I were in the market for a new camera it would be on my shortlist

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: E-M5 III reviews

                    Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                    If you only do landscapes then the E-M1 Mk.ii may not be a significant upgrade for you.


                    For me, interested in wildlife photography, the improvement in speed of operation was profound. If I was tracking a subject with my dot-sight, the Mk.i was very unreliable in gaining focus, whereas I can trust the Mk.ii to get the shots. From the specs., it looks as though the E-M5 Mk.iii will do so too.

                    Thank for for that, which is the sort of feedback I was wanting. Also useful to know you found the AF in the Mk2 was a big step up from the Mk1.

                    Mark

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: E-M5 III reviews

                      Does the new cam have assist modes? Like that Panorama?
                      * Henry
                      * Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor
                      * Malaysia


                      All my garbage so far.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: E-M5 III reviews

                        Originally posted by Jim Ford View Post
                        Complaints about a camera being too small beat me!

                        Jim
                        I don't know how the E-M5 range size compares with the E-M10 range but I had a play with my son's E-M10ii and had great difficulty operating the cursor keys. If the E-M5iii is smaller than the E-M10ii then I would imagine that only small children's fingers could operate the buttons

                        My E-M1s are just about manageable for me.

                        Steve
                        Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
                        Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
                        My website

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: E-M5 III reviews

                          A plastic camera! Is this a good thing?
                          EM-1 MK1 - No website containing any of my photos until I'm good enough!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: E-M5 III reviews

                            Originally posted by timboo View Post
                            A plastic camera! Is this a good thing?
                            With modern materials its a bit like saying is a plastic F1 car a good thing.

                            How many polycarbonate cameras have you seen broken? In my case that would be none.
                            How many other everyday items are made of "plastic" these days. Answer is loads and they don't disintegrate if dropped or knocked.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: E-M5 III reviews

                              It's a bit like cars - you don't reject the whole package because you don't like where they've put the foglight switch.
                              Mike
                              visit my Natural History Photos website:
                              http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X