Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens confusion

Hi there.
    I'm having a lens issue which should be easy to solve by buying a different lens, if only I knew what to buy.
    I have a 14-40 1:2.8 Pro for use with my E-M5II which I'm very happy with - most of the time. However, now and again a little more reach would not go amiss and so decided to buy one of the cheapy Olympus 40-150 1:4-5.6 ED as the reviews seem reasonable for the outlay and its light weight makes it attractive to me.
    So my problem is that I ordered the cheapy lens which arrived today (used but in excellent condition) but I can't mount it onto the camera. Putting the Pro lens mount up against the newly purchased one shows and obvious diameter size difference.
    I've been onto the company who say that the lens should be compatible with my camera. I've emailed them with my problem and am waiting for a reply but suspect the lens will be going back. Not a problem, but if it doesn't fit, then what exactly am I looking for?
    The description of the lens I have just received read: 'Olympus 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED'
    Many thanks in advance.

Re: Lens confusion

I bet they've sent you the old 4/3 E-system DSLR mount lens. This can be used on micro-4/3 but needs an adapter. If the seller said it was a micro-4/3 lens, i would send it back.

EDIT: the description 'M.Zuiko' definitely means micro-4/3, so they've mis-sold the lens.

Mark

Comment

Would not decribe myself as an expert but.........have you bought a FOUR THIRDS version rather that a MICRO FOUR THIRDS version? Is the box badged something like `43`? Micro four thirds (m43) is the newer, current mount used by your camera.

Comment

I guess you have the old 4/3 version that won't fit without an adapter:
        http://lensbeam.com/obektivy/zuiko-d...0150-456-obzor

The ' M.ZUIKO' in the description means you should have received the correct lens for your camera.

EDIT - Wow 3 replies in 1 minute!
        Andy
        bengeo.com

Comment

What is printed on the front of the lens itself (around the glass). If it says 'M.Zuiko' it should fit your E-M5 II. But if it just says 'Zuiko' then it is the older 4/3 lens which needs an adapter. As others have said, if you ordered the M.Zuiko lens they've sent you the wrong one!
          Chris

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies - very much appreciated. Who would have thought one little 'M' on the lens could make so much difference!
            So now its going back and I'll be looking for the right lens at the right price. Many thanks again and Happy New Year!

Comment

I've heard of Cash Converters getting these muddled up (including m 4/3 image with 4/3 description), and a google a couple of minutes ago showed MPB are also doing it, but the other way round.

Comment

if you are OK with grey imports (no manufacturer warranty) and a bit of a wait for delivery?
                Iain

E-M1, E-M1 II, E-M5 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
                Flickr

Comment

https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/un...ens-black.html
                  Andy
                  bengeo.com

Comment

A lot of vendors on Ebay do this, but in most cases the MFT version can be identified by having a silver ring between the aperture ring and the lens mount section.

Comment

Comment

Off topic.

If you are looking for a lens to have a better reach, there are actually a few. there is that Panny 14-140, Tamron 14-140, Olympus 14-150, if you want bright, then there is that Panny 35-100/2.8 and if you want super duper quality, then that Oly 12-100/4

I got that 35-100/2.8 used and loved it. Tried that 12-100, it's IQ is superb But it heavy and bulky.
                        * Henry
                        * Malaysia

All my garbage so far.

Comment

Recently got the 12-100 "travel" lens as a kit, the camera ticked all the boxes apart from far off telephoto like moon shots, it seems to be ok for some macro (not as good as the TG-4).

Not massively heavy and fits in a leather shoulder bag that I prefer to padded bags.

Some photos soon

Comment

Working...
                          X