Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

New camera and 171 shutter activations ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New camera and 171 shutter activations ??

Just received a new OMD EM5 MKII. when I first turn camera on, I thought it would automatically go to set date and time. When this didn't happen, I thought I would check shutter activations. It tells me it has done 171 activations and 64 Ultrasonic sensor cleans

Is this normal -I don't think it is - if so then fine. Iwould like to think if I am buying a new camera; it is new and unused with no shutter activations ??

many thanks for any help

Re: New camera and 171 shutter activations ??

Nothing to worry about, its normal.

Comment

Originally posted by pault View Post
      Nothing to worry about, its normal.
      Thanks was thinking I had a camera that had been returned.
      can someone confirm if normally when you turn on new OMD, the first screen you see should be set region?

Comment

Who did you purchase it from?
        Some Stores/Retailers test the camera's before selling/shipping.

Also some might be from the Olympus Testing before shipping

Dave

Comment

Sorry but after many years with Nikon i expect my first exposure to be number 1, I would not be happy with that unless it came from Wex and was sold to you as a customer return at a reduced price.

Comment

I would query with the retailer, I wouldn't be happy if it was described as being 'new'.

By the way, when I purchased my new M240 it came in a very nice layered box enclosed within an outer silver coloured box with one of those sticky fasteners that are impossible to open without it being obvious. The retailer said at the time they had not checked the contents (ie the camera) but would prefer me to take it home and get the immense pleasure of opening a Leica knowing the last person to have touched it would have been someone at Leica wearing cotton gloves.
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Steambuff View Post
              Who did you purchase it from?
              Some Stores/Retailers test the camera's before selling/shipping.

Also some might be from the Olympus Testing before shipping

Dave
              Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
              I would query with the retailer, I wouldn't be happy if it was described as being 'new'.

By the way, when I purchased my new M240 it came in a very nice layered box enclosed within an outer silver coloured box with one of those sticky fasteners that are impossible to open without it being obvious. The retailer said at the time they had not checked the contents (ie the camera) but would prefer me to take it home and get the immense pleasure of opening a Leica knowing the last person to have touched it would have been someone at Leica wearing cotton gloves.
              Originally posted by mik View Post
              Sorry but after many years with Nikon i expect my first exposure to be number 1, I would not be happy with that unless it came from Wex and was sold to you as a customer return at a reduced price.
              I purchased it from Wex. the funny thing is -or not so funny- this is a replacement of OMD that arrived yesterday with a shutter count of 71
              I called them and complained about. They collected it two hours later and had my replacement sent out, for delivery this morning by 9am.

Now I have a camera with even more shutter Activations. It seems very odd, to have two cameras with Activations..maybe this is from testing although seems a lot of testing with 171 activations of the shutter?

Comment

As pault says: It is normal, the count varies depending on how enthusiastic* the technician is, and AFIK arises from the QA check at the end of the manufacturing process.

*e.g. checking the Sequential drive modes is likely to create significant shutter count variation.
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                  As pault says: It is normal, the count varies depending on how enthusiastic* the technician is, and AFIK arises from the QA check at the end of the manufacturing process.

*e.g. checking the Sequential drive modes is likely to create significant shutter count variation.
                  That does make sense to some extent..although I still think 171 is very enthusiastic I have spoken to Olympus and they said it was not what they would expect. Wex also thought it was odd and wasn't happy about it.
                  Because of all the above, I also took a picture to test for dust on sensor and quite a bit is evident... which makes me think it has been returned.

Comment

The dust would be enough for me to return it. If it was opened to demonstrate they have not been very careful and it should be checked again before passing it on to you
                    I also would expect to have to set the date when it comes new and straight out of the box.

Wee Man
                    Ed

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?

Comment

I would return it if it has dust on the sensor.
                      A number of shutter actuations is not unusual as part of the QA/testing process at the factory but 100+ does seem a bit excessive.
                      Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                      Capture One Pro
                      My flickr

Comment

Dust on the sensor would mean that I returned it, a number of test exposures wouldn't (within reason)
                        I would suggest that most cameras would be tested for function after they's been assembled, the only difference with the cameras displaying zero exposures out of the box, is that they will have been "zero'd" before final packaging.
                        I'd imagine that as well as test shots, which may well be needed for focus calibration, a small percentage of the line will be subjected to extra testing a part of quality control.
                        So long as the box was sealed, I'd be inclined to view a camera with a decent number of exposures as a good thing, as it's likely been more carefully examined at the factory prior to packing up for sale.
                        I've bought a few new Olympus dslrs over the years, both 4/3 & m4/3, and all have had some test exposures showing, though I can't remember how many.
                        I have also always needed to set time and date.
                        Best Regards
                        Bill

The nearest I have to a home page.
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
                        They're Watching You!

Comment

I do wish all new cameras and lenses came sealed by the manufacturer. I wonder if some retailers have them on display and then repack them ...

Comment

Dust on the sensor? Really? My 6 years old E-5 has never suffered sensor dust, I hope my E-M5 II doesn't!

Comment

I'd send it back for the dust issue too. That seems very odd.
                              By the way how did you do a shot specifically to look for it?
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

Working...
                              X