See less

Shutter speed using electronic shutter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutter speed using electronic shutter.

Just something to be aware of when using the electronic shutter with long lenses in "A" mode.

The camera selects a slow shutter speed and tries to keep the ISO value low.
    Using the 40-150 pro lens when zoomed out at 150mm the regardless of the f stop value the camera tried to keep the shutter speed at only 1/20 - 1/60sec, obviously at 150mm this is way too slow, changing to normal shutter mode the camera selects around 1/350th shutter speed and as higher ISO as required.

So normal shutter mode appears to be preferable for long focal lengths in A mode.

Paul

Re: Shutter speed using electronic shutter.

How interesting: many thanks for that. Sounds like it's worth trying out with a range of different lenses, and using different exposure modes.

I'll only be using the eShutter commonly for street photography, so it won't matter so much, but occasionally it's very useful for shooting (with permission) in quiet environments like concerts and theatres, so longer lenses are used then.
    Regards,
    Mark

------------------------------
    http://www.microcontrast.com
    Too much Oly gear.
    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Woofmix View Post
      Just something to be aware of when using the electronic shutter with long lenses in "A" mode.

The camera selects a slow shutter speed and tries to keep the ISO value low.
      Using the 40-150 pro lens when zoomed out at 150mm the regardless of the f stop value the camera tried to keep the shutter speed at only 1/20 - 1/60sec, obviously at 150mm this is way too slow, changing to normal shutter mode the camera selects around 1/350th shutter speed and as higher ISO as required.

So normal shutter mode appears to be preferable for long focal lengths in A mode.

Paul
      Maybe way to slow but able to be done. F2.8 @ 1/15sec 150mm ISO 800.

Okay, so this was the third or fourth attempt, and there is still movement.

Comment

Hmm the original is much clearer, am I doing something wrong? Noticed this with a couple of pictures lately.

Comment

This is how it has been implemented (in Aperture Priority) on the E-M1 now too & to get that higher shutter speed then the ISO needs to moved from Auto to manual up ISO 3200.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

There is no flashing of the aperture indicator warning there is not enough light either I noticed. I found this when using focus stacking, so I came off Auto ISO and went manual up to 3200 limit. It does give warning in regular use but images at least 3.3 stops under exposed. EVF and histogram look normal

Comment

Originally posted by pvasc View Post
              There is no flashing of the aperture indicator warning there is not enough light either I noticed. I found this when using focus stacking, so I came off Auto ISO and went manual up to 3200 limit. It does give warning in regular use but images at least 3.3 stops under exposed. EVF and histogram look normal
              It does flash for me when longer than an 1/8 sec in Aperture Priority mode & when pushed up to Auto ISO 3200 (with 75-300 lens on).
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

BTW what happens in 'S' mode?
                Regards,
                Mark

------------------------------
                http://www.microcontrast.com
                Too much Oly gear.
                Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                  It does flash for me when longer than an 1/8 sec in Aperture Priority mode & when pushed up to Auto ISO 3200 (with 75-300 lens on).
                  Ahhh that was the problem, I had it on ISO 200, but still no warning.

In shutter priority I did not have the same problem, as soon as the camera thought it ran out of light the speed blinked. This, as with the other taken in "A" mode are one click before the warnings (Shutter speed, aperture) in viewfinder) started to blink.

So I just won't shoot if I see 1/8 of a second in the EVF when in Aperture mode.

Comment

Working...
                  X