Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

E-M1X Hints for use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M1X Hints for use

More info from Olympus. It would be handy in a PDF.

https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/jp/sup.../index_en.html
    Andy
    bengeo.com

Re: E-M1X Hints for use

I have looked at it and found it very weak on actual practical help. It simply points out features.

This was similar;

https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/pro.../feature2.html

Gary

Comment

You would think that there Ambassadors of light would have Videos out by now explaining why one setting is better than another for subjects i.e people /kids running /animals /birds etc there just seems to be a few bits out there .
      Rob.

Comment

I have looked at it and found it very weak on actual practical help
        It's always been so where it comes to a proper explanation of Olympus's AF implementation. There's a vacuum of information from Olympus and in its place is a host of anecdotal and hearsay stuff from users - some good, some bad.

I'm still of the view that Olympus need to spend some time producing comprehensive documentation on their AF. If they got an engineer working on the system, a photographer with a lot of hands-on time with the camera and a technical author together then we'd get something worthwhile.
        Paul
        E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
        flickr
        Portfolio Site
        Instagram

Comment

I can't understand this
          "In addition to an autofocus scanning off mode (mode1), you can also choose to perform autofocus scanning only once at the start of focus operation when the shutter button is pressed halfway (mode2). This is useful for shooting subjects with low contrast. You can also choose to repeat autofocus scanning until the camera is able to focus (mode3)"

Surly you need to be on mode 3 all the time any thoughts ?

Rob.

Comment

Jesus, reading this makes me feel so glad that I choose to use manual focus! You know the regime: look through the viewfinder (optical of course, no LCD screens), decide what you want in focus, if anything, twiddle the focus ring - the thing with a knurled finish to it - and press the shutter release (preferably direct mechanical links, none of this fly-by-wire nonsense!)
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

Your so right Steve but then you miss the nightmare's of wondering if you set the camera to the correct settings
              Rob.

Comment

Just checked the situation with my film cameras, Rob (M6, Pentax MX and Oly Pen F). All have an aeroplane, automobile and train setting. Obviously the designers back in the day had it all sussed.
                Steve

on flickr

Comment

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Far, far better than we do today. Modern Camera Technology is not for our benefit, it's for the benefit of camera companies and their share holders. Simple as.
                    Who would fly a Boeing 737 Max? If I had to I'd I'd ask for a general anaesthetic.
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Good luck to anyone who wants to take photographs of stuff that moves erratically with manual focus. In any case, AF is generally very good on nearly all modern cameras. Why go back to the 1960s?
                      Paul
                      E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                      flickr
                      Portfolio Site
                      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                        ...Why go back to the 1960s?
                        Well, my eyes and reflexes were a lot sharper then. As they have got worse the AF has got better.
                        Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                        Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                        Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                        Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                        Learn something new every day

Comment

Auto Focus was a boon (something to be thankful for; blessing; benefit.
                          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Sony have beaten Olympus to the Animal eye focus it appears to work very well too.
                            Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by GyRob View Post
                              I can't understand this
                              "In addition to an autofocus scanning off mode (mode1), you can also choose to perform autofocus scanning only once at the start of focus operation when the shutter button is pressed halfway (mode2). This is useful for shooting subjects with low contrast. You can also choose to repeat autofocus scanning until the camera is able to focus (mode3)"

Surly you need to be on mode 3 all the time any thoughts ?

Rob.
                              Mode 1 gives it one try for AF lock & Mode 3 keeps hunting until in focus. The E-M1 II has that choice too.
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                              X