Testing Airplane mode for birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Airplane mode for birds

Typical new camera weather! It's been great for days and now it's dull and raining. I was keen to try out the new Airplane tracking mode on the EM1X and see how it well it worked for birds. I was also able to check out the weather proofing!

Despite the weather the camera did recognise larger flying birds such as crows, buzzards and red kites and put a white box around them to show they were detected and then tracked them most of the time. It will take some time to get used to it and make the most of it, but the initial tests look promising. It’s lucky that the Artificial Intelligence is not so intelligent that it can’t be fooled by a bird.

This photo was very under exposed - probably needed nearer +3 stops of exposure compensation rather than my standard +1 for BIF. So not the best image after I have tried to rescue the shadows, but it looks to be in focus.

Red Kite in the rain

Looking forward to trying it in better light, but the forecast is not looking good just now.
    Andy
    bengeo.com

Re: Testing Airplane mode for birds

Nice! Is there an option for 'spot exposure' corresponding with focus points?
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Looks sharp to me and nice to know AI is an option for birds .
      Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
        Is there an option for 'spot exposure' corresponding with focus points?
        Not in this case, it only works with single target or small target.

Normally I don't go out in weather like that to photograph birds and usually I would be more prepared. From experience, when you start adding +2 or more exposure compensation then it's usually not worth bothering with the shot.
        Andy
        bengeo.com

Comment

Just trawling through my photos, I've just noticed one of my film film cameras has 'aeroplane' mode!

Jet by -Steve Ricoh-

Nothing new under the sun, as they say!
          Steve

on flickr

Comment

Working...
          X