New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

Picked up mine today, p/ex on the Mk2 and some lenses that were just never used. The manual is 675 pages(the one downloaded from the Olympus site) so thank heavens for the `my menu`feature which I will certainly use!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 090657 View Post
      Picked up mine today, p/ex on the Mk2 and some lenses that were just never used. The manual is 675 pages(the one downloaded from the Olympus site) so thank heavens for the `my menu`feature which I will certainly use!

Tim
      Minus a 15% discount if you played your cards right. 👍
      Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by 090657 View Post

Tim
        Let's see something then!!
        Stuff from Cuba
        More stuff from Cuba
        It all started here

Comment

Anne and I spent around five hours photographing Red Kite in cold, windy and cloudy conditions today - returning home I had two minutes left on battery one and four minutes on battery two from the combination battery pack. It may be the batteries need charging two or three times from new before giving their full or the coldness of the day affected them.

I would be interested if anyone else has expected more.

Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Battery usage does seem to be higher, but I have got GPS on.
            Andy
            bengeo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bengeo View Post
              Battery usage does seem to be higher, but I have got GPS on.
              Thanks Andy.

Comment

I got the EM1X yesterday and had a couple of hours in the garden my observations compared with the em mkII for BIF not technical just how it feels I only ever use M I set it up as I have the mkII setup

The camera is more responsive feels quicker in every way start up is faster almost instant.
                The view finder is better it just looks bigger no lag

C-AF has been improved i did have a better hit rate over all, I did try C-AF + TRA it might be a bit better but that way of doing things is not for me I like 5 or 9 points with C-AF

I did try aircraft mode on bif and it did quite well but you sort of seem to be watching the AF squares looking for the subject rather than taking the shot and this make it feel like you waiting and you can't do the for BIF If they make a BIF mode it could work well .
                I thought that I had set it for centre point priory but using 25 points on a pidion sat on an Ariel it grabbed the Ariel rather than the bird even though centre point was on the bird ( i may have not set it right ) so need to check that .

The shutter button has more feel to it I never took 1 shot by mistake ( thank you Olympus )

IQ looks almost the same to me set on Neutral but the colour is just a bit better this could be just a slight White balance tweak .

Conclusion - After 2 hours of use it really is better in every way for my needs, if you don't shoot BIF or fast sports then the OMD mkII is well up to the job so it's not a must upgrade for every one and I will keep my mkII for general family day type shots.
                Im very happy with the EM-1X .
                Rob.

Comment

For Barr1e: Yesterday I took about 1900 photos over about 5 hours with GPS on. Currently I'm only fitting one battery. I replaced that when it was down to about 35% and at the end of the day I was left with 65% on the 2nd battery, so about the equivalent of 1 battery for the day.

I'm using GPS with battery saving mode, but it still seems to be very accurate. I did the GPS update from the phone app so that it has the latest satellite info.

Sanderling and 1 dunlin
                  Andy
                  bengeo.com

Comment

This a a serious question Bengeo (underline the word serious). How on earth do you sift through 1900 photos? I have extreme problems sorting 50 into keepers and sleepers!
                    Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                      This a a serious question Bengeo (underline the word serious). How on earth do you sift through 1900 photos? I have extreme problems sorting 50 into keepers and sleepers!
                      I would take a guess. Very slowly!
                      Ross
                      I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                      Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                      Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                      Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                      Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                        I would take a guess. Very slowly!
                        How long is a piece of string, and how long does it take to hit the delete key?!
                        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
                          With some serious culling! The difficulty with birds is that the focus has got to be so spot on so that you can see feather detail etc. What would be OK for most subjects would not do for birds. I took a lot of photos of that group of sanderling and it was a matter of going through and seeing which ones 'jump out' with poses, lighting, eye catchlights, background waves, sharpness etc. Then most are thrown away. I wish I could turn up, wait, take one photo and capture it, but I'm not that good!
                          Andy
                          bengeo.com

Comment

Originally posted by raichea View Post
                            Going from 20 to 24MP only increases the vertical/horizontal resolution by less than 10%, so hardly worth the effort??
                            Exactly. It's the sort of incremental increase in resolution that is always nice to get with a new model, but not a massive benefit. Far more important at this level is an improvement in high ISO performance and dynamic range. But that's not what this camera is about, is it? The aim is clearly to improve focussing (particularly of moving subjects) over previous models, to make it more attractive to sports and wildlife professionals and serious amateurs. This and a rugged weather resistant body optimally designed for use with long, fast telephoto lenses.
                            John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there � even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Comment

Originally posted by Bengeo View Post
                              For Barr1e: Yesterday I took about 1900 photos over about 5 hours with GPS on. Currently I'm only fitting one battery. I replaced that when it was down to about 35% and at the end of the day I was left with 65% on the 2nd battery, so about the equivalent of 1 battery for the day.

I'm using GPS with battery saving mode, but it still seems to be very accurate. I did the GPS update from the phone app so that it has the latest satellite info.

Sanderling and 1 dunlin
                              Hi Andy -

Thanks so much.

We were out again today trying to photograph Red Kite but spent most of the day sitting in the car due to the constant rain.

Interesting re your battery usage - I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Today, wet wet wet

E-M1X + 40-150 lens with converter - f7.1 - A.mode etc

Comment

Working...
                                X