• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

It's going to be a long 20 days lol

Comment

The video shows two different lenses with different shaped hoods. I thought the one near the start was the 300mm f4, but I haven't checked it against mine.

Ron

Comment

The first one briefly appearing at 0:02 looks like the 300mm F/4 to me.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

I hope the few who need this DSLR-sized beast enjoy it. I'm far more interested in other, much smaller bodies, hopefully with more than incremental improvements.
          Bruce

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Clarke View Post
            I hope the few who need this DSLR-sized beast enjoy it. I'm far more interested in other, much smaller bodies, hopefully with more than incremental improvements.
            Me too, I moved to Olympus for the smaller size and now they give us this monster!
            Still, looking on the bright side, Iíve still got the Canon kit in the drawer.

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
              Me too, I moved to Olympus for the smaller size and now they give us this monster!
              Still, looking on the bright side, I’ve still got the Canon kit in the drawer.
              No, they didn’t give you “this monster”. They are are bringing a pro sports model for pro sports photographers & are doing it to ‘make a statement’ in their 100 anniversary year, especially seeing it will be preceding the 2020 Olympics in Japan where this model will be appreciated & used by those that understand the value of the system instead of following the crowd of FF sports photogs using monster cameras & lenses. The teaser video brings a small glimpse of its possible use it may get, but it will be capable of much more, as we will eventually find out on the 24th January.

Olympus hasn’t forgotten other users though as we’ll find out (this year).
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Olybirder View Post
                From the video it appears that it is only suitable for use by female photographers! That's a shame.

Ron
                I think the idea is that those of us who think it's far too big and bulky will be shamed into changing our minds. What the video doesn't show is how much neck and back strain resulted from the filming.

Comment

Why do you refer to it as a DSLR sized beast?

The dimensions given on the Rumors site are: 144.37 x 146.765 x 75.345mm.

It looks very much like my E-M1 II with the grip attached, the dimensions of which are (roughly) 130 x 138 x 60mm.

Itís larger certainly, if the Rumors site is correct, but not a beast.

The new body appears to be a fill in between the E-M1 II and itís successor hopefully, the incremental changes will be included with a new sensor in the next iteration of the E-M1 series.

Dave

Comment

I doubt it will be as big as a DSLR or even a APSC Perhaps a little bit bigger than the omd mII with grip .
                    I don't see that as been big by any means .
                    Rob.

Comment

The "Countdown" has begun.

https://www.olympus-europa.com/site/...a-7fefd2b6e0d5

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                        No, they didnít give you ďthis monsterĒ. They are are bringing a pro sports model for pro sports photographers & are doing it to Ďmake a statementí in their 100 anniversary year, especially seeing it will be preceding the 2020 Olympics in Japan where this model will be appreciated & used by those that understand the value of the system instead of following the crowd of FF sports photogs using monster cameras & lenses. The teaser video brings a small glimpse of its possible use it may get, but it will be capable of much more, as we will eventually find out on the 24th January.

Olympus hasnít forgotten other users though as weíll find out (this year).
                        I agree with you Ross on all points.

It now depends how huge the price is.

Just like that - gone in a flash! Now in use.

Comment

Originally posted by DavyG View Post

It looks very much like my E-M1 II with the grip attached, the dimensions of which are (roughly) 130 x 138 x 60mm.

The new body appears to be a fill in between the E-M1 II and itís successor hopefully, the incremental changes will be included with a new sensor in the next iteration of the E-M1 series.

Dave
                          I was exaggerating slightly, but getting frustrated that they seem to have put their recent energy into steadily more niche and expensive products. To me, this looks more like a 100th anniversary vanity project. They are certainly not going to convert hoards of the white lens brigade in time for the Olympics. I just hope the mass market products come soon, as they seem to have lost a lot of momentum and presence in the press with the lack of mainstream bodies.
                          Bruce

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

Comment

Originally posted by DavyG View Post

Dave
                            Actually, I measured the E-M1 Mk II + HLD-9 (height) & it is:
                            134.1 mm (W) ◊ 140.2 mm (H) ◊ 68.9 mm (D)
                            (excluding protrusions) compared to E-M1X at:
                            144.370mm (width) x 146.765mm (height) x 75.345mm (depth),
                            while the following are:
                            Canon EOS-1D X Mark II: 158.0 x 167.6 x 82.6mm,
                            Nikon D5: 160.0 x 158.5 x 92.0mm.

I was exaggerating slightly, but getting frustrated that they seem to have put their recent energy into steadily more niche and expensive products. To me, this looks more like a 100th anniversary vanity project. They are certainly not going to convert hoards of the white lens brigade in time for the Olympics. I just hope the mass market products come soon, as they seem to have lost a lot of momentum and presence in the press with the lack of mainstream bodies.
                            I don't think the intention was to sell "hoards" of the E-M1X but as the other companies have their top model that shows off the "Pro" status it can be inspiring for purchasers of lesser models & I think this may have (hopefully) a similar effect with Olympus (again, hopefully). I feel it is something they needed to do at this time for this year & next year's occasions. Anyhow, we'll see just how impressive this model will be in use (or not) after the 24th Jan.

Ross
                            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I personally never use grips and I think I'm not unusual in this. If they'd have kept the grip as a separate unit I'm sure they would have appealed to a wider market. As it is, there's no way I'd want this camera at the size it is and I sense that applies to many people on this forum and other m43 sites.

I would think that existing system users would represent a significant potential market and it's likely that most of these have got into m43 due to its size. Heck, even Olympus's own slogan for the OMD is "Reduced to Perfection"!!

Odd decision if you ask me.
                              Paul
                              E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
                              flickr
                              Portfolio Site
                              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
                                I personally never use grips and I think I'm not unusual in this. If they'd have kept the grip as a separate unit I'm sure they would have appealed to a wider market. As it is, there's no way I'd want this camera at the size it is and I sense that applies to many people on this forum and other m43 sites.

I would think that existing system users would represent a significant potential market and it's likely that most of these have got into m43 due to its size. Heck, even Olympus's own slogan for the OMD is "Reduced to Perfection"!!

Odd decision if you ask me.
                                Iím hoping pretty spectacular E-M5 mk III and Pen F mk IIs launch in the same time frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X