Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Olympus OMD - EM1X ?

Yeuch...definitely not for me Put the new capabilities in an EM1 form as well as an alternative and I would.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/flip_photo_flickr/

Comment

As far as I am concerned I have finished buying any more photographic equipment and, fortunately, this monster is doing nothing to make me regret my decision.

Ron

Comment

The argument for this camera is going to the size and weight of the kit for a given job. It’s a bold move, but I’m not convinced it’s a good move. Hopefully, we’ll see the E-M5 repositioned into the space currently occupied by the E-M1 mk II.

Comment

Originally posted by andym View Post
          I think it's a fake. Someones cloned the top E5 shutter release onto it. Look at the bad bit of editing on the RHS of the shutter release.

But I could be wrong
          I said that about the grip detail on the E-M1.1, and that turned out to be real
          Bruce

http://flickr.com/photos/bruce-clarke/

Comment

If it is intended to be a sports,wildlife camera, then the focus will have to be at least as fast and reliable as the best dslr, when an on sensor focus takes 15 milliseconds compared to 1 millisecond on best dslr, so a big leap in this area needed. Dont think global shutter in colour ready yet mr sony working on it.wont change from mk2 unless it can out perform best gear out there for sport, wildlife.

Comment

While many of us won't be going for this model, I like it for what it is & for the intended user. I agree it will need to perform for its class of camera, but there are testers trialling that now, like the guy that leaked these first few photos.

I see some of the good design ideas coming from the E-5 as well as new features (for Olympus) such as the joystick. These photos are not fake either.
              Two batteries with a charge light for each is there. It's looking good! I think I'm feeling GAS already, even though I know this model is way above my needs or use. I know I have to go & handle one when I can though.
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

It's large yes (probably too large for me) but interesting nevertheless.
                It will need to excel in terms of sensor performance as well as the other tricks.
                Regards Huw

Olympus equipment
                Capture One Pro
                My flickr

Comment

If they want to make a camera that can take pictures in portrait mode why not make one with a square(ish) sensor? You can add a shutter button and a dial to the vertical grip but what about all the other controls, the menu, and on screen display - all of which are optimised for holding the camera in landscape mode. Add in a flipping wobbly screen that can be rotated to maximise the picture in portrait mode and you have the perfect ergonomic portrait camera.
                  Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
                  Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
                  Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
                  Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
                  Learn something new every day

Comment

Originally posted by bigsambwfc View Post
                    If it is intended to be a sports,wildlife camera, then the focus will have to be at least as fast and reliable as the best dslr, when an on sensor focus takes 15 milliseconds compared to 1 millisecond on best dslr, so a big leap in this area needed. Dont think global shutter in colour ready yet mr sony working on it.wont change from mk2 unless it can out perform best gear out there for sport, wildlife.
                    Yes, realistically I think other mirrorless sports/wildlife cameras are the main competitors, however it must be said that the A9 has apparently met with very wide approval on the focussing front, so it must be possible. Presumably other sensor-based tricks are possible with mirrorless systems than pure focus speed.

I shall most certainly have a go with one ASAP, but I'm actually fairly unlikely to invest because of the size & weight penalty. I've got more safari trips coming up over the next 18 months, and the E-M1ii is good enough for a high proportion of that sort of usage - it means I can carry 2 bodies and a good range of lenses within all the light plane weight limits.

One hopes it's better than the 1ii for BIF (ideally up to D500 focusing standards), but that's not really important for most of my usage, although improved DR/ISO performance is always useful (but not critical: again, the 1ii is mostly good enough for me if exposed and processed properly).

In the future I foresee a decision to be made between an X and an E-M1iii, assuming in due course some of the technology trickles down there, but there's a lot of rumours to be digensted before then...
                    Regards,
                    Mark

------------------------------
                    http://www.microcontrast.com
                    Too much Oly gear.
                    Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
                    Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.

Comment

https://m.olympus.co.uk/msite/en/c/p...try/index.html

20 days to go!
                      Junk on Flickr
                      Even more Junk on Instagram

Comment

Thanks Chris, signed up.

We could end up with en e-group gathering!

John

Comment

"Register and stay updated" link is ***ked...

Hopefully Oly will repair that, unless they are "full up" of course. X fingers..
                          Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

From the video it appears that it is only suitable for use by female photographers! That's a shame.

Ron

Comment

At 0:06 into the video you get an idea of the form factor of the camera body, which seems to coincide with the already leaked pictures posted on four third rumours. What puzzles me is the lens - reminds of the 40-150 however fitted with a different lens hood. Same lens(?) appears briefly again at 0:07. Video is blurred (intentionally I suppose) so text is not readable.

My Gallery on 500px

Comment

Originally posted by Tordan58 View Post
                                At 0:06 into the video you get an idea of the form factor of the camera body, which seems to coincide with the already leaked pictures posted on four third rumours. What puzzles me is the lens - reminds of the 40-150 however fitted with a different lens hood. Same lens(?) appears briefly again at 0:07. Video is blurred (intentionally I suppose) so text is not readable.
                                It really does look every bit like the 40-150 lens with a 'screw-in' rubber lens hood. Maybe that's part of the ploy to keep people guessing (or an admission the lens hood wasn't the best, although mine is fine).
                                Ross
                                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
                                X