Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Setting custom WB via grey card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting custom WB via grey card

So I'm trying to set a custom (one touch) WB using a grey card, and the EM-10 is having none of it.

This is my newly-IR-converted EM-10, with which I'm now experimenting. Apparently for this particular IR filter, WB on a grey card is recommended, but I can't get the camera to 'take' it. All I get is the "X WB no good" message.

The card was in bright sunlight; I've tried over-exposing by 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 stops (the maximum, it seems); I've upped the ISO; I have the aperture wide open at f2.8. Still, it doesn't want to know.

I've successfully done the WB on a white card, and on green grass, so the system does work ... just not with grey.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Or am I doomed to have to carry and include a grey card in every shot I ever take?
    Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Re: Setting custom WB via grey card

At what wavelength range does the converted camera operate?
    I suspect it's what's termed 'near IR'. IR is sensitive to temperature, isn't it?
    Steve

on flickr

Comment

It's a 590nm filter. Other than obviously not being 'visible light' I have no idea how that impacts anything in terms of settings.
      Margaret

Comment

There are several Inks & Dyes that absorb near IR while appearing to produce the required colour in "daylight".

They are used a lot in ID cards where scanners can see hidden patterns using IR light.

You may have a grey card that absorbs IR making it look black to the sensor

http://www.hwsands.com/category/26.aspx
        Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

You could always ask about something like these as they are plastic.

http://www.7dayshop.com/products/7da...gc-b-7DSMQDG-B
          Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
            You could always ask about something like these as they are plastic.

http://www.7dayshop.com/products/7da...gc-b-7DSMQDG-B
            Thanks Graham. I was looking at something similar
            Margaret

Comment

This looked "interesting" and may be of some use.

http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/blog/vie...s-in-lightroom
              Graham

Comment

Hi Margaret. To set custom WB on my E-5 I have to use a white target, not a grey card. If it doesn't find white I get a fail message that may be similar to yours. I know you have tried using a white source, did you test the custom WB with your filter afterwards to see how it looked? I find that regardless of using a custom WB with my 8 stop ND I still require further manipulation in LR to correct the colour.
                Steve

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoates/

Comment

On my IR converted camera I use an area of green grass to set the custom white balance.

Then I use Olympus Viewer software for the initial conversion as, unlike Lightroom, Olympus Viewer can read the custom white balance setting.

Comment

Originally posted by stoates View Post
                    Hi Margaret. To set custom WB on my E-5 I have to use a white target, not a grey card. If it doesn't find white I get a fail message that may be similar to yours. I know you have tried using a white source, did you test the custom WB with your filter afterwards to see how it looked? I find that regardless of using a custom WB with my 8 stop ND I still require further manipulation in LR to correct the colour.
                    Yes, neither the white WB nor the green WB is giving me what I think it should look like, at least according to the sample images from this filter on the conversion company website. I did anticipate further work in LR, and/or even a custom DNG profile, but I do want to try and get the WB as good as possible to start from, and I just feel I'm not there yet. Further messing about to be tried yet..
                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Invicta View Post
                      On my IR converted camera I use an area of green grass to set the custom white balance.

Then I use Olympus Viewer software for the initial conversion as, unlike Lightroom, Olympus Viewer can read the custom white balance setting.
                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X