Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES

See more
See less

Mk III small focus point?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mk III small focus point?

    Hi. My friend recently was the lucky winner of a 10 Mk III. It doesn’t have the very small focus point. Does anyone know if the firmware updates added it? Seems a backward step to only have a single but not small single focus point. Makes it a pain for macro if using AF.

  • #2
    Re: Mk III small focus point?

    Kinda depends on what your photography purpose is. Certainly for little boids in trees the small focus point helps.

    We managed with out that feature from AD 0001 until a year or two ago....…………..
    Mark Johnson

    My Sailing Page

    My Flickr

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Mk III small focus point?

      Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
      Kinda depends on what your photography purpose is. Certainly for little boids in trees the small focus point helps.

      We managed with out that feature from AD 0001 until a year or two ago....…………..
      The OP asked a sensible reasonable question which was "Does anyone know if the firmware updates added it? " Maybe someone else with knowledge of the Olympus E-M10 MIII can answer it for them ?

      Jax

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Mk III small focus point?

        Having checked on-line this very question, it appears from many of the answering posts, that this feature is not present. Having said that, these answers do go back to late 2018. If your friends camera shows there are updates, then do the update just in case.

        It's early days so, perhaps these early users were still working their way through the maze.

        The ongoing problem, is that the beasts are becoming more and more sophisicated that for the average togger, too many features just add in a frustration factor.


        Apologies if this post just adds to that frustration factor.


        Update: Forget all of the above... this may be what you are looking for [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU3Z2Bpf4IU"]How to Set Small and Group AF Targets - YouTube[/ame]
        Last edited by Wally; 6th May 2019, 07:28 AM. Reason: Olympus Singapore Utube video added
        It's not what inspires us that is important, it's where the journey takes us.

        Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Mk III small focus point?

          Originally posted by Wally View Post
          ... this may be what you are looking for How to Set Small and Group AF Targets - YouTube

          I think that's an E-M5 ii in the video so probably not applicable. There's a list of firmware updates at https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...e/firm/e1/#omd but no mention of small AF points. I suspect they aren't available.


          On the plus side, the AF points are smaller on the Mk.iii than the Mk.ii.

          I don't know what types of macro you do but I prefer MF, to make sure I select the precise feature I want.
          Mike
          visit my Natural History Photos website:
          http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Mk III small focus point?

            The E-M1 II originally came with just 121 AF target areas & was eventually updated later with a "small AF target" after numerous complaints from owners, however, it would appear the E-M10 III just gets the 121 AF targets with a choice of All, Nine or Single, as per page 61 of the manual, E-M10 Mark III (Ver 1.1) (applicable with a Firmware update from 1.1).

            Touch AF is also possible, giving the possibility of changing the size as shown on page 51 of the manual, which can be made smaller than the normal AF Targets.

            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Mk III small focus point?

              Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
              ...............Touch AF is also possible, giving the possibility of changing the size as shown on page 51 of the manual, which can be made smaller than the normal AF Targets.
              All this raises in my mind the question as to what actually happens when one selects a smaller area rectangle.

              As I understand it, there are 121 focus points, which, I assume, are special points on the sensor array that are capable of detecting phase information. So, if the 'standard size' rectangle relates to one sensor, how does reducing the size of the rectangle on the screen make any difference? What am I missing??
              Mike
              visit my Natural History Photos website:
              http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Mk III small focus point?

                Originally posted by MikeOxon View Post
                All this raises in my mind the question as to what actually happens when one selects a smaller area rectangle.

                As I understand it, there are 121 focus points, which, I assume, are special points on the sensor array that are capable of detecting phase information. So, if the 'standard size' rectangle relates to one sensor, how does reducing the size of the rectangle on the screen make any difference? What am I missing??
                On a non-PD-AF model such as an E-M10 III it should make no difference where or how big it is, just that there is enough discernible contrasting detail in the focus area.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Mk III small focus point?

                  Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                  On a non-PD-AF model such as an E-M10 III it should make no difference where or how big it is, just that there is enough discernible contrasting detail in the focus area.
                  Thank you, Ross. To avoid cluttering this thread further, I shall raise the question again on the E-M1 thread, re.PD
                  Mike
                  visit my Natural History Photos website:
                  http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X