Central focus point ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central focus point ?

Is there a way to lock the focal point to the centre of the screen, instead of having it dancing all over the place ?
    It's very annoying, and I can't seem to find instructions anywhere. Surely there is a way to do this.

Re: Central focus point ?

Originally posted by tonyfromalnwick View Post
    Is there a way to lock the focal point to the centre of the screen, instead of having it dancing all over the place ?
    It's very annoying, and I can't seem to find instructions anywhere. Surely there is a way to do this.
    Tony,
    In order to provide a meaningful answer, I think you need to elaborate further on the circumstances in which the "dancing all over the place" occurs.

If you have set AF active points selection to use a single point (or 5 points or nine points), then the position of this selection should only alter if:
    1. You reposition it using the arrow pad, or
    2. (If you have the touchscreen active) you are changing the position with your fingers (or nose) contacting the screen. Or,
    3. You have face-detect switched on and this is taking priority over the active point position.
    Chris

Comment

I find this happens with my E-M5 mk1 too, and it can be very annoying. I think it's being caused by accidentally nudging the arrow keys but I'm not absolutely certain. A lock would be handy!
      Regards
      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Otto View Post
        I find this happens with my E-M5 mk1 too, and it can be very annoying. I think it's being caused by accidentally nudging the arrow keys but I'm not absolutely certain. A lock would be handy!
        I find the best solution to the 4 way pad keys having immediate control over the AF Target point (& accidentally pressing one) is to set them to Direct Function & that way the left has to be pressed first to make all four available for shifting the AF point around.
        Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
          Tony,
          In order to provide a meaningful answer, I think you need to elaborate further on the circumstances in which the "dancing all over the place" occurs.

If you have set AF active points selection to use a single point (or 5 points or nine points), then the position of this selection should only alter if:
          1. You reposition it using the arrow pad, or
          2. (If you have the touchscreen active) you are changing the position with your fingers (or nose) contacting the screen. Or,
          3. You have face-detect switched on and this is taking priority over the active point position.
          Chris - Thanks for that, so you are saying that you into settings and make a conscious choice to set the AF ??

Comment

Originally posted by iso View Post
            Chris - Thanks for that, so you are saying that you into settings and make a conscious choice to set the AF ??
            I think this may help...

If the AF selection is all points then the focus point is variable and can indeed dance around... selecting any of the other types allows for a fixed selection which can be moved with the cursor keys if you don't want it in the middle!

Comment

Thank you Walti - When in doubt, read the Instructions...... (There are just too many of them)

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                I think this may help...

If the AF selection is all points then the focus point is variable and can indeed dance around... selecting any of the other types allows for a fixed selection which can be moved with the cursor keys if you don't want it in the middle!

Walti,
                I think the User Manual page you are showing is taken from the Em1 Mk2 manual. The OP concerns the E-M10 Mk2. The process is similar but uses the arrow pad and INFO button to invoke target selection (rather than the Fn1 button). It is described on page 48 of the E-M10 Mk2 manual.
                Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyver View Post
                  Walti,
                  I think the User Manual page you are showing is taken from the Em1 Mk2 manual. The OP concerns the E-M10 Mk2. The process is similar but uses the arrow pad and INFO button to invoke target selection (rather than the Fn1 button). It is described on page 48 of the E-M10 Mk2 manual.
                  Whoops! Misread the title - yes that's the 1 manual not the 10! But the process is the same as you say without the use of the f1 button!

Comment

Originally posted by Walti View Post
                    Whoops! Misread the title - yes that's the 1 manual not the 10! But the process is the same as you say without the use of the f1 button!
                    Ahhh - Would this apply to the EM5 - Mk11 ??

Comment

Originally posted by iso View Post
                      Ahhh - Would this apply to the EM5 - Mk11 ??
                      Yes and the AF target setting information is also on p48 of the E-M5 MKII manual. The E-M10 MKII is essentially an E-M5 MKII in a smaller body without weather sealing and with a few minor performance reductions to justify it's lower price.

Regards.
                      Peter

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
                      OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
                      Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

Comment

Thank you Peter

Comment

Working...
                        X