Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

First proper trip with the EM1 - and I have some issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First proper trip with the EM1 - and I have some issues

I took the EM1 to Fairford today, with a total haul of over 2000 photos to work through, but I have some issues so would like some advice here please:

While shooting, on several occasions the EVF would show black as if I had a lens cap on. The screen was definitely working because I could see the settings along the side (aperture, that sorta thing). At least some times it was showing as being set to manual focus, when I had it set to CAF. Pointing the camera at the ground seemed to fix it after a few seconds.

The second issue was when I got back home: I plugged the camera into my PC and the screen pops up to select the connection type. I obviously picked "storage," and the screen says "One Moment." It stays like that. I tried the same a couple of times and with the "MTB" setting. Fortunately my laptop has an SD slot, so I'm moving it to a USB card as I type.

Update: As I typed this, the card slot's stick-worth of images transferred over, but my PC failed to recognise the card, so I'm going to try a shutdown-restart in the hope that fixes it.

dJE

Re: First proper trip with the EM1 - and I have some issues

The blank screen problem you describe is usually due to loss of contact between lens and body. Cleaning the contacts will probably help but, if it persists, you may need a repair. Does it happen with all lenses or just one?

It sounds as though your card contacts may be causing a problem too - again, try cleaning.
    Mike
    visit my Natural History Photos website:
    http://www.botanicdesign.co.uk/Natur...story/home.htm

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mark.

It happened with both lenses I tried it on (an Oly 55-200 f2.8 I've borrowed and a Sigma 55-200 of my own), BUT both were running through an Oly 1.4x teleconverter and a third-market 4/3 to m4/3 converter. It sounds like I need to google how to clean the contacts!

The shut-down restart worked, so I think that issue IS with the USB on my PC.

dJE

Comment

Good lord, 2000+ images to sort, I wouldn't know where to begin.

It was Henri Cartier-Bresson who said one's first 10,000 'shots' [I doubt he would use the word 'shot' incidentally] are the worst, so you're well on your way to becoming a star!

I use LightRoom and import direct from the SD card. Never had an issue, but I generally have no more than 50 digi shots from a day's photography.
        Steve

on flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricoh View Post
          It was Henri Cartier-Bresson who said one's first 10,000 'shots' [I doubt he would use the word 'shot' incidentally] are the worst, so you're well on your way to becoming a star!
          Yes, Steve - but Cartier-Bresson never took shots of airshows!
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            Yes, Steve - but Cartier-Bresson never took shots of airshows!
            Just think, the Red Arrows and the "decisive moment", or the French equivalent 'The Patrouille Acrobatique de France'! Leica M3 avec le 5cm.
            Steve

on flickr

Comment

I use LightRoom and import direct from the SD card. Never had an issue, but I generally have no more than 50 digi shots from a day's photography.
              I'm importing them now. A usual day's outing for me is probably 50-200 shots.

I also use Lightroom, principally the pick/rejects flags. My usual process is to go through them initially and "reject" the ones that aren't even worse looking at - obviously out of focus, bits of trees, that sorta thing. In this case I'm hoping to end up with 100-200 images at the end of this stage. I'll then go through again, picking the best versions of multiple singe shots (so if I have say, five versions of three red arrows going from left to right I'd pick the best of them and reject the others. I may choose to do some light processing as I do this pass through. I'll then do the final full edit of whatever's left; obviously rejecting any that deserve it. I need to get better at naming and tagging my images.

I've heard the quote before, and I'm also aware of the 10,000 hours to become an expert line.

To my surprise, my LR catalogue's at nearly 28k - but I'm not sure I've put the hours in yet

dJE

Comment

Instagram: TheBassmanBlog
                My Blog: TheBassmanBlog.com
                My Pictures: abbeyworks.smugmug.com

Comment

Dan - I guess this is on what was my E-M1. I didn't own it long, but never had any problems with it, but as already suggested, it did sound like a contact issue. It would be good to know if/when you sort it out as I'd hate for you to think you were sold a duff camera..

Comment

Originally posted by danellis View Post
                    It happened with both lenses I tried it on (an Oly 55-200 f2.8 I've borrowed and a Sigma 55-200 of my own), BUT both were running through an Oly 1.4x teleconverter and a third-market 4/3 to m4/3 converter. It sounds like I need to google how to clean the contacts!

dJE
                    Think I'd suspect the third party adapter. Also check if the locking lug is fitting in place between the lens/adapter/body. This will cause a screen blackout if not correct.
                    All the best

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr

Comment

I’ve had the same isssue on third party extension tubes.

Contact cleaning sorted it 99% and the remaining issues were due to poor alignment of the contacts when the tube was in place due to a large amount of slack in the mount system. Fiddling around with it I found I could simply give the tubes a slide to the side to get the alignment sorted - tubes have been replaced!

Comment

At Le Mans last month I took 10,000+ images - just with a smartphone It has a rather ravenous burst mode!

Ian
                        Founder and editor of:
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
                        NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                          At Le Mans last month I took 10,000+ images - just with a smartphone It has a rather ravenous burst mode!

Ian
                          Very good, but what's your 'keeper rate'?

I have difficulty exposing and keeping 36 frames, but I generally hit 80%. However, I won't embarrass myself by saying how long it takes me.

Film has had a knock-on affect with my digital work. I'm equally parsimonious but my composition goes to pot for some unknown reason.
                          Steve

on flickr

Comment

I know exactly how you can get carried away at Fairford! Been there myself there is so much to see and photograph.

I am a some what regular airshow photographer and I now only bring home about 500 -600 shots, it helps me to use Low burst although I use High burst when panning take-off and landings

Comment

Working...
                            X