Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

    Hi,

    I'm familiar with how the electronic shutter works in silent mode but what I don't know is how long it actually takes to 'scan' the sensor and therefore what your 'effective' shutter speed is. Does anyone know what this is for the different OMD models, mainly interested in the EM5-II, EM1 and EM1-II

    Cheers.

    Edit: effective shutter speed is a bad term, what I mean is the time it takes to scan the whole sensor, which in turn has the potential to introduce motion.
    Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

    Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

    My Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

    www.tobygunneephotography.com

  • #2
    Re: Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

    The "shutter speed" i.e. the time for which each photo site is exposed to light is still what the camera is set to, there is no "effective" shutter speed. In electronic shutter mode each pixel is exposed for the same time (as set on the camera) but they are not all exposed at the same time but progressively which is what gives rise to the "rolling shutter effect". There is a time delay between the first and last pixels being "exposed" and then read out but this is in the order of milliseconds and is not noticeable.

    Regards.
    Peter

    she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

    E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
    OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
    Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

      Originally posted by PeterBirder View Post
      The "shutter speed" i.e. the time for which each photo site is exposed to light is still what the camera is set to, there is no "effective" shutter speed. In electronic shutter mode each pixel is exposed for the same time (as set on the camera) but they are not all exposed at the same time but progressively which is what gives rise to the "rolling shutter effect". There is a time delay between the first and last pixels being "exposed" and then read out but this is in the order of milliseconds and is not noticeable.

      Regards.
      Thanks. Yeah I get that thanks and understand how it works. Maybe my choice of 'effective shutter speed' was a bad one. But it does take time to 'scan' the sensor and as such you can still get motion issues often seen as the rolling shutter effect. It also causes issues with the 'pulsing' of fluorescent lights, and I would imagine flash sync speed although I'm not sure on the last point. But I've seen quoted times taken to scan the whole sensor range from 1/60 to 1/15 and I'm just interested to know for sure. I know that some of the Pannys are 1/15, but not sure on the Ollys.
      Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

      Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

      My Flickr
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

      www.tobygunneephotography.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

        IIRC the sensor readout speed for the EM1 is 1/13 sec. The EM1II is quoted 4x faster at 1/60.

        The sensor readout speed does not affect shutter speed.

        FWIW according to this guy the em1 is 1/16th, the em5ii and penF is 1/22 and the em1ii is 1/63 second.


        http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/...topic=114665.0
        __________________
        Pete


        https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

          Originally posted by bredman View Post
          IIRC the sensor readout speed for the EM1 is 1/13 sec. The EM1II is quoted 4x faster at 1/60.

          The sensor readout speed does not affect shutter speed.

          FWIW according to this guy the em1 is 1/16th, the em5ii and penF is 1/22 and the em1ii is 1/63 second.


          http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/...topic=114665.0
          Thanks for this, very handy. Yeah, I shouldn't have used the term shutter speed should I as it's just causing confusion. I didn't know what the correct term was, until now
          Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

          Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

          My Flickr
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

          www.tobygunneephotography.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

            The maximum shutter speed selectable with the EM1 mkii in silent mode is 1/32000 th, but it will only record 60 fps max.
            Stuff from Cuba
            More stuff from Cuba
            It all started here

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

              In general the faster read speed has made the electronic shutter much more usable on the Mark II. I have taken close to 8,000 shots since I got mine two months ago, but only about 1,300 with the mechanical shutter. Rolling shutter was a pain on the E-M1, and it is still noticeable at times on the Mark II, but it is close to negligible under normal circumstances. If they can get the read speed up to say, 1/125 rolling shutter would be basically a thing of the past. Might be done, even on the Mark II. We didn't even have an electronic shutter on the E-M1 in the beginning, so who knows what firmware updates may bring.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

                Originally posted by DanC.Licks View Post
                In general the faster read speed has made the electronic shutter much more usable on the Mark II. I have taken close to 8,000 shots since I got mine two months ago, but only about 1,300 with the mechanical shutter. Rolling shutter was a pain on the E-M1, and it is still noticeable at times on the Mark II, but it is close to negligible under normal circumstances. If they can get the read speed up to say, 1/125 rolling shutter would be basically a thing of the past. Might be done, even on the Mark II. We didn't even have an electronic shutter on the E-M1 in the beginning, so who knows what firmware updates may bring.
                I guess it depends on the output rating in the specs sheet for that sensor. I know the E-M1 Panasonic sensor specs but I can't remember if there is a known (Sony) one for the Mk II.
                Ross
                I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Electronic shutter/silent mode query.

                  Originally posted by snerkler View Post
                  Thanks. Yeah I get that thanks and understand how it works. Maybe my choice of 'effective shutter speed' was a bad one. But it does take time to 'scan' the sensor and as such you can still get motion issues often seen as the rolling shutter effect. It also causes issues with the 'pulsing' of fluorescent lights, and I would imagine flash sync speed although I'm not sure on the last point. But I've seen quoted times taken to scan the whole sensor rang
                  e from 1/60 to 1/15 and I'm just interested to know for sure. I know that some of the Pannys are 1/15, but not sure on the Ollys.
                  With my Oly M1 i I cannot use flash with silent shutter so the mention of sync speed is irrelevant.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X