Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Interesting' email conversation with Olympus over EM1 strange noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Interesting' email conversation with Olympus over EM1 strange noise.

I contacted Olympus over a weird noise that my EM1 with 12-40mm makes, it kind of sounds like static on an old radio and then at times like an old modem. My first thought were IBIS or constant AF so turned both of these off yet the noise is still there. It's very sporadic and I can get it to stop by half pressing the shutter. Olympus asked for a video which I duly sent. On the video the noise kept happening every time I tilted the camera, but this isn't always the case, and it can do when just sat on my desk etc.

https://youtu.be/9az1UMDCrmE

Anyway Olympus' reply was this.

Thank you very much for sending this video through for me to see/ hear.

I can confirm that this is the noise of the cameras image stabiliser, which works off 5 motors and a floating electromagnetic cushion it is the amalgamation of these noises that you are hearing, I am happy to verify that this is normal for this camera.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help you further.

I replied back asking why IBIS would be working even though it's turned off, and why it's intermittent. To which they replied.

Do you have the camera set to C-AF (continuous auto focus)? as this would keep everything active.

If you are unhappy with the noise and/ or performance of the camera please send the camera to us for a check up/ service and we can test it along side our master camera at our repair facility.
    I recommend sending in your camera so we can check it out and give you some peace of mind when using the camera in future.

I then replied back saying that I wanted to get to the bottom of whether the problem was normal or not without having to send it in as I'd rather send my camera back for a replacement rather than having it repaired, to which I got this response.

Yes, please take it back to the retailer for an exchange.
    Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help you further.

I'm really baffled as they initially appeared quite sure that the noise was normal but quite quickly backtracked and then were quite happy for me to send the camera back. It doesn't fill me with the greatest of confidence about Olympus service tbh.

Anyway, in the meantime I was directed to this thread and the noise described sounds very similar to that of mine.
    http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30236

If you go to post 38 on page 3 olympus inform the op that it's the 12-40mm lens and not the body. I will conduct some tests with other lenses and if I still get the noise it demonstrates that it's the body and not the lens, but if it doesn't occur then it would confirm that it's the lens or body/lens combo as described in post 38.

"I have checked this phenomenon with OIMC colleagues in Tokyo last week,
    This is noise from 12-40 lens which can not be avoided. As 12-40mm lens uses linear motor for focusing mechanism, it needs to be working time by time to keep its position and to be able to focus fast & accurate. Our R&D dept has checked it and confirmed this is not a defect."

My gut feeling is that it's normal based on the thread above, but it would be nice to get my hands on another to test them. It doesn't really bother me, other than the slight uncertainty that it might not be right.
    Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com

Re: 'Interesting' email conversation with Olympus over EM1 strange noise.

Well I believe I've cracked the strange noise. It is the 12-40mm lens and I can actually make it happen almost every time. It's when you release the shutter before the lens has acquired proper focus, so in it's hunting stage. Obviously if you're in a well lit room taking something of high contrast you're not going to be able to do it as AF is near on instant, but if you're shooting in dim light at low contrast and it hunts you can release the shutter during the hunting time. There's a knack to where in the hunting stage to 'catch it' but once you've figured it out you can get it most of the time. Obviously when I've been messing about setting the camera up etc etc it's been in this state some of the time and hence why I've got the noise. I guess in normal use you're never going to get this as you're either shooting or you're not.

I'm happy that it's normal and a 'quirk' of the 12-40mm and confirms the reply from Olympus on the other thread.
    Nikon Z7, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G, 24-70mm f4, 85m f1.8, 50mm f1.8, Nikon SB-700.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr

Comment

Just another noise:

My EM-1, in manual Mode, with an AF lens locked (via menu) in Manual Focus, makes zizzing noises, as though it is trying to focus, but nothing happens. I am not concerned but I don't recall this noise being reported for such combination of settings.

Harold
      The body is willing but the mind is weak.

Comment

Thanks for posting this thread. I get this with my E-M1 and thought it must be the IS. This confirms it.

Cheers

Steve
        Old divers never die, they just go down on old wrecks
        Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but bubbles
        My website

Comment

Interesting. I don't have the 12-40 so I've obviously never heard it. The usual IBIS noise is a quiet swishing sound of course so it sounds like the tech support people just basically fobbed you off. Pretty typical these days.
          Paul
          E-M1ii, Pen-F and too many lenses
          flickr
          Portfolio Site
          Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by pdk42 View Post
            Interesting. I don't have the 12-40 so I've obviously never heard it. The usual IBIS noise is a quiet swishing sound of course so it sounds like the tech support people just basically fobbed you off. Pretty typical these days.
            Yeah initially I think they fobbed me off by saying it was IBIS and normal but as soon as I queried it I wouldn't say that I was fobbed off per se as they were happy to have the camera in, and have since emailed again to say that if I want I can still send it in for peace of mind. However, my main concern is the lack of understanding of the issue, and the fact that they were happy for me to return the camera for a replacement even though, as I've since shown, I believe the noise to be normal.

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver View Post
              Thanks for posting this thread. I get this with my E-M1 and thought it must be the IS. This confirms it.

Cheers

Steve
              Me too. No obvious consequence tho'

Mj
              Mark Johnson

My Sailing Page

My Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckdiver View Post

Cheers

Steve

Originally posted by MJ224 View Post
                Me too. No obvious consequence tho'

Mj
                Just for clarity, the noise in my video is from the 12-40mm focussing system, not the IBIS on the camera. The noise is very different to the 'whirring' of the IBIS

My Flickr

Comment

Keep in mind that the E-M1 always make noise, though it should be quite faint. It is the sound of the magnetic system that holds the sensor in place whenever the camera is turned on, IS on or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by DanC.Licks View Post
                    Keep in mind that the E-M1 always make noise, though it should be quite faint. It is the sound of the magnetic system that holds the sensor in place whenever the camera is turned on, IS on or otherwise.
                    You have to have that up to your ear to hear that though imo

My Flickr

Comment

As I said, "faint". There are people who are alarmed by it when they notice it for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                      X