Announcement

Collapse

December's CHALLENGE

The topic to inspire your creative juices this month is BOXES Please don't forget to vote on November's LEAVES challenge and please re-vote if you already did but before the recent forum upgrade.

See more
See less

Firmware updates - 2AM on Thursday 26th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firmware updates - 2AM on Thursday 26th

Jeremy, you can check your EXIF and see when version 4 appeared on your photos.
    Stuff from Cuba
    More stuff from Cuba
    It all started here

Comment

Thanks Ross and Beagle. I've just re installed the updater and what do you know everything is working swimmingly.
      Thanks again. This user group is so helpful. I don't get involved in many threads etc but I visit this group at least once a day.

Martin

Comment

If it is any consolation I have just wasted 90 minutes trying to find out why I could not get the updater to work, I eventually found a different Oly web page that gave me the new updater.

Why did Oly not put a version check in the updater code to alert the user that the code is out of date.

Also why do they need to have a restart - what exotic feature of the OS are they using that needs imbedding in the running code?
        This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by DerekW View Post
          If it is any consolation I have just wasted 90 minutes trying to find out why I could not get the updater to work, I eventually found a different Oly web page that gave me the new updater.

Why did Oly not put a version check in the updater code to alert the user that the code is out of date.

Also why do they need to have a restart - what exotic feature of the OS are they using that needs imbedding in the running code?
          I had none of the problems you describe. Both Viewer 3 and Updater informed me that there was a new version of the updater software. This was on three different PCs (XP, 7Pro & 8)

Only the Win8 PC asked to be restarted, but that seems to do that whenever i make a cup of tea...
          Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

I am using a Mac, so I guess that the SW team are not so hot with developing for OSX
            This space for rent

Comment

I am using a Mac, so I guess that the SW team are not so hot with developing for OSX
              It might be worth feeding that back to Olympus.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/c...supportform.do

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Comment

I have a Mac running El Capitan and updated the updater via OV3 several days ago. On the 27th I started OV3 and clicked the Update tab. It informed me that there were updates for my camera and lens. I just proceeded from there as usual with no issues.

Ron

Comment

Interesting - I tried the old updater on two machines and it did not tell me to update the updater. Also running El Capitan,, it is annoying that Photos keeps popping up as soon as the camera is connected.
                  This space for rent

Comment

I had that Photos issue too. To kill it, when you connect the camera and Photos fires up, look at the top left corner of the window ... There's a box checked for Open Photos when this device is connected, or some such. Uncheck the box, and it stops it happening again. Sadly, you have to do it for every device you connect, like camera, phone, SD card, but doing it once stops it repeating.
                    Margaret

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook

Comment

I tried that but it kept opening - unless it recognises each camera as being a different device to be "unticked"

Must do a proper test....
                      This space for rent

Comment

I tried that but it kept opening - unless it recognises each camera as being a different device to be "unticked"

Must do a proper test....
                        It recognises each device.... So camera, card in reader, and recognise each separately.... Once you've been through your complete pile of devices you'll ever sorted!

Comment

I cannot wait for that day. <g>

I always have CMD - Q to zap the offending app.
                          This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Beagletorque View Post
                            Press OK on the camera when the box pops up asking Storage..... Then it will connect.
                            So it will but still give the "Failed to communicate . . ." message when it tries to write to the camera.

I tried several times, clearly the updater was connected as it told me what the existing firmwares, camera and 12-14 Pro, were. Updated lens ok but when trying to write OS to camera failed.

I had launched updater from Olympus Master - mistake. I believe that the latter still had a connection to the camera as was locking it. Shut down OM processes and bingo!

Now trying to work out how to use these nice new facilities and restoring Mysets
                            David

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio View Post
                              So it will but still give the "Failed to communicate . . ." message when it tries to write to the camera.

I tried several times, clearly the updater was connected as it told me what the existing firmwares, camera and 12-14 Pro, were. Updated lens ok but when trying to write OS to camera failed.

I had launched updater from Olympus Master - mistake. I believe that the latter still had a connection to the camera as was locking it. Shut down OM processes and bingo!

Now trying to work out how to use these nice new facilities and restoring Mysets
                              Olympus Master is so out of date, you should be using the latest version of Olympus Viewer 3 & in those updates (for that software) it will also offer you Oly Digital Camera Updater version 1.2.1. You only need to run the Updater by itself when updating your camera or you can also do it from OV3. If you have that then I can't help any further.
                              Ross
                              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ross-the-fiddler/
                              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                              Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
                                Olympus Master is so out of date, you should be using the latest version of Olympus Viewer 3
                                Sorry Freudian slip - I was using Olympus Viewer 3 Version 1.5
                                David

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X